Not open for further replies.

Black Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do you know the real reason people don't buy Mustangs? Because more often than not the Mustang owner is a complete douchebag. People don't want to be associated with douchebags... Constant revving with a loud exhaust or weaving in and out of traffic driving recklessly. Gives the Mustang name a bad reputation.

Electrification gets rid of one of those problems at least. The toolbags that come wailing through a neighborhood with their straight piped Mustang at all hours of the night while I'm trying to sleep. But the same reason why I hate the car is why I love the car. When someone civilized is driving a Mustang, I love listening to the exhaust note. Double edged sword eh?

To respond to your second statement, nothing done to an ICE vehicle will make them anywhere near as efficient as an electric motor. It's just how it is.
Here in Atlanta, its Dodge Charger and Challenger owners. Mustang drivers doesn't have the lock on stupidity.
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Electrification gets rid of one of those problems at least.
You are joking right? All I see on my way to and back home from work are complete idiots driving their Prius's and Volt's weaving in and out of traffic at 80+ MPH like they are driving a Ferrari because they think they are the elite for being electric.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Do you know the real reason people don't buy Mustangs? Because more often than not the Mustang owner is a complete douchebag. People don't want to be associated with douchebags... Constant revving with a loud exhaust or weaving in and out of traffic driving recklessly. Gives the Mustang name a bad reputation.

Electrification gets rid of one of those problems at least. The toolbags that come wailing through a neighborhood with their straight piped Mustang at all hours of the night while I'm trying to sleep. But the same reason why I hate the car is why I love the car. When someone civilized is driving a Mustang, I love listening to the exhaust note. Double edged sword eh?

To respond to your second statement, nothing done to an ICE vehicle will make them anywhere near as efficient as an electric motor. It's just how it is.
You don't know the "real reason" people don't buy Mustangs. They don't buy them because they don't meet their daily driving needs, and SUVs are the current vehicular fad. All the rest is pure emotional projection.

If you think EVs are "efficient", you're not looking at the whole picture. From the mining of raw materials, manufacturing of batteries, life-span/time of electrical power needs, to disposal of batteries and other components..........EVs are an incredible shit-show of horrible environmental disasters, coal and gas usage to power electrical stations, and government created scams to fleece tax-payers.

Only rubes have convinced themselves that the next fad in vehicles is worthy of replacing ICEs.

There's two technologies that one company has put together, and they're getting ready to debut these new ICE engines. Hopefully it's not smoke & mirrors, let's keep our fingers crossed;

4 cylinders.
7.5L displacement.
N/A.
Pneumatic valvetrain.
654HP, and well-above inline 4-cylinder efficiency.

Last edited:

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT

With that logic, literally nobody would buy any sort of flashy or potentially loud sport car. There's a douchebag owner in EVERY single car group, regardless of make or model. Terrible POV.

The efficiency of EV has been and may always be just shown upfront, as we still have yet to design an efficient battery that doesn't cost a fortune to produce/replace, doesn't involve lithium strip mining (which is one of the worse things for the environment currently, for those that are concerned about that), has the same or better range capabilities as ICE, and can be recharged (refilled) at the same or better rate as ICE.

Is it possible that we see new EV battery developments to combat these problems? Absolutely, as automobile development and advancements has never stopped before and will continue until the very end. But I am not sure how long that will take. I have a hunch that it will still be a minute.

There is a bottom line here that I believe will never be moved: EV racing will never bring the viewers (revenue) that ICE racing has and still maintains. Until they develop a battery that can either last an entire race (which in my mind is absolutely impossible for endurance racing of any kind), or can be recharged at the same rate as a normal race car can be refueled during a pitstop, ICE will have the advantage. And let's just theoretically say for a moment that such an advanced battery and system DID exist; VERY little people will actively go and watch EV racing because truthfully there's just no gratification from it. Nascar announced a plan to go EV a while back and the response was overwhelmingly negative. This is still all speculation, but I just don't see the support there.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Here in Atlanta, its Dodge Charger and Challenger owners. Mustang drivers doesn't have the lock on stupidity.
I could see that as well. The usual Charger owner is a thug or gangster... Call it a stereotype if you want...

You are joking right? All I see on my way to and back home from work are complete idiots driving their Prius's and Volt's weaving in and out of traffic at 80+ MPH like they are driving a Ferrari because they think they are the elite for being electric.
The statement you quoted was about all the excessive noise, not reckless driving.

You don't know the "real reason" people don't buy Mustangs. They don't buy them because they don't meet their daily driving needs, and SUVs are the current vehicular fad. All the rest is pure emotional projection.

If you think EVs are "efficient", you're not looking at the whole picture. From the mining of raw materials, manufacturing of batteries, life-span/time of electrical power needs, to disposal of batteries and other components..........EVs are an incredible shit-show of horrible environmental disasters, coal and gas usage to power electrical stations, and government created scams to fleece tax-payers.

Only rubes have convinced themselves that the next fad in vehicles is worthy of replacing ICEs.

There's two technologies that one company has put together, and they're getting ready to debut these new ICE engines. Hopefully it's not smoke & mirrors, let's keep our fingers crossed;

4 cylinders.
7.5L displacement.
N/A.
Pneumatic valvetrain.
630HP, and well-above inline 4-cylinder efficiency.

I don't just think EVs are efficient, I know they are efficient. Comparing an ICE MPG to an EV MPGe, there's no comparison... Everybody always brings up the same old arguments... But in fact making batteries is no worse than fracking for oil. The upside is batteries are recyclable but obviously the oil is not as gasoline is part of the combustion process. They will eventually find another material to use for batteries that is more efficient than Lithium... Just wait for it.

Regarding your new technologies for ICE? Is that a joke? LOL 7.5 liters of displacement from a 4 cylinder? Pass the pipe man. :giggle:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...They will eventually find another material to use for batteries that is more efficient than Lithium... Just wait for it.
O.k.....we'll wait. Been waiting......long time.

Meanwhile;

1622820501481.png

1622820533436.png

Regarding your new technologies for ICE? Is that a joke? LOL 7.5 liters of displacement from a 4 cylinder? Pass the pipe man. :giggle:
Did you watch the video? They already have them up & running. MAHLE and FREEVALVE are partners. Looks like it's happening.

Do you grasp the engineering behind all of that? That's game-changing stuff......

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I would love an Electric mustang. A real one with all the bells and whistles. The upgraded batteries and all the performance. However, until it doesn’t take hours to recharge and doesn’t have the very limited mileage I just can’t see owning one. Maybe a little runabout sort of but absolutely no way I could use it as a daily. A friend has a Model S. What a fiasco when he used to take it from Ontario to Florida for the winter. Plan your route, stops, hotels etc VERY CAREFULLY. Or do the battery switch at a Tesla dealer part way and then the reverse switch on the way back. To me anyhow, love the concept, but the practicality is still far off.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
All these arguments against the eventual electrification of transportation in the United States are ignorant at best and disingenuous at worst.

The technology for complete replacement of ICE vehicles for all use cases doesn't exist today. That's a fact. However, that doesn't mean that the market will stay stagnant and technology wont change. The difference between the Model T and the 2021 GT500 is quite large, even though they both used internal combustion engines.

When ICE vehicles first arrived, there was no gas station network to fuel the cars initially. As demand grew for ICE vehicles, the market responded by investing in gas stations to fuel the demand. The electrical grid grew, the water lines got more expansive, transportation lines grew, logistics companies grew, supplies grew, and entire support industry created around that need.

Give EVs the same chance. Did you expect an entire charging infrastructure and support to exist before mass adoption?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't just think EVs are efficient, I know they are efficient.
Unless you have the emotional makeup of an IRS auditor, efficiency is never going to be a replacement for fun. And when the fun stops mattering to any given individual, that's when the Mustang stops being the right car for them.

I was an engineer (another not-very-emotional profession), and to prioritize efficiency over fun where my cars are concerned would be to sell my soul for cheap.

Norm

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
All these arguments against the eventual electrification of transportation in the United States are ignorant at best and disingenuous at worst.

The technology for complete replacement of ICE vehicles for all use cases doesn't exist today. That's a fact. However, that doesn't mean that the market will stay stagnant and technology wont change. The difference between the Model T and the 2021 GT500 is quite large, even though they both used internal combustion engines.

When ICE vehicles first arrived, there was no gas station network to fuel the cars initially. As demand grew for ICE vehicles, the market responded by investing in gas stations to fuel the demand. The electrical grid grew, the water lines got more expansive, transportation lines grew, logistics companies grew, supplies grew, and entire support industry created around that need.

Give EVs the same chance. Did you expect an entire charging infrastructure and support to exist before mass adoption?
When the first ICE vehicles first arrived, there only needed to be gas stations for...wait for it.....a few vehicles. There was little demand. The infrastructure for vehicles (a lot more than just gas station) has taken 100+ years to build. Gradually, as demand grew.

For electricity and water, transportation, all those things have grown over the last 150 + years, as the US population/demand grew.

And here we have folks believe that, with a 280,000,000 vehicles registered in the US today, we're going to change to EVs in 5, or maybe 10 years? Even 15 or 20 years?

And how are we going to power 280,000,000 EVs, exactly?

Where are the raw materials for the batteries coming from?

And that's just here in the US, not the rest of the world. Which is also currently riding a retard's wave of popular opinion that Greta Thunberg is the 2nd coming of Henry Ford.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Preface: I know this is my own stubborn point of view

I don't see the relevance of this post....an electric SUV out sells Mustangs. They are two completely different cars; why bother comparing their sales figures?
"It's because they are both Mustangs"...nope. If a new bread of shark was discovered and scientists label it a dog, does that make it a dog? No, it's still a shark. I get why Ford did what they did (Marketing dept wins again) but I refuse to accept the reality where people think an electric SUV is a Mustang.

End rant

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Preface: I know this is my own stubborn point of view

I don't see the relevance of this post....an electric SUV out sells Mustangs. They are two completely different cars; why bother comparing their sales figures?
"It's because they are both Mustangs"...nope. If a new bread of shark was discovered and scientists label it a dog, does that make it a dog? No, it's still a shark. I get why Ford did what they did (Marketing dept wins again) but I refuse to accept the reality where people think an electric SUV is a Mustang.
Don't look now, but Ford marketing has done it again with the upcoming Maverick (that would have been more sensibly called the new Ranchero).

Bad precedents beget bad follow-ons.

Norm

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
we sell teslas a lot, bringing a cheaper option into the market is an easy sell... suv's sell better than coupes, etc... it is actually a good move from ford to offer a cheaper electric suv

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
O.k.....we'll wait. Been waiting......long time.

Meanwhile;

1622820501481.png

1622820533436.png

Did you watch the video? They already have them up & running. MAHLE and FREEVALVE are partners. Looks like it's happening.

Do you grasp the engineering behind all of that? That's game-changing stuff......
We can do this all day, but at the end of the day your mind was already made up so nothing in this world is going to change it. I used to hate EVs with a passion. I believed all the hate thrown at them was true. But a lot of research changed my mind, including some YouTube (particularly Engineering Explained).

I have pictures too!

fracking_1.jpg

5a4f7d68-gp1su9nb-1024x576.jpg

gettyimages-101618922.jpg

See what all oil has done?

Oh... by the way. Back to your "game changing" 4 cylinder. The company was funded up until Covid but lost that funding. At this point, all this "game changing" 4 cylinder is, is a pipe dream or failed Kickstarter campaign... your choice.

There's also a few issues with this. Harmonics and engine balance come to mind so the engine doesn't shake the chassis into oblivion. Cost to produce comes to mind. Cost to consumer comes to mind. The sheer weight of high displacement 4 cylinder pistons limits the rpm they can spin at. In order to get their claimed horsepower figures, one would think they would need even more displacement out of this motor. In the ballpark of 12 or 13 liters. It just isn't feasible. There is just too much missing.

If you want big power out of a 4 cylinder, the only way is forced induction. That's it.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Unless you have the emotional makeup of an IRS auditor, efficiency is never going to be a replacement for fun. And when the fun stops mattering to any given individual, that's when the Mustang stops being the right car for them.

I was an engineer (another not-very-emotional profession), and to prioritize efficiency over fun where my cars are concerned would be to sell my soul for cheap.

Norm
I agree efficiency usually isn't fun Norm. But fun comes at a price. Fun drags an ICE car down into the teens or lower twenties for MPG. Fun drags range down in an EV as well. Have a daily driver that's efficient and a second car that's fun. There's the compromise.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.