Sponsored

Mach 1 vs used GT350

ddanj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro V6 1LE
Good point, but also probably true for any used high-performance car. Need to do due diligence, maybe even an inspection by a trusted mechanic, and be able to accept the risks of buying a used sports car.

I would be very leery of a used GT350. My dealer took one in on trade awhile back. Owned locally. Clean looking CPO ............ Guess what ? A dealer doesn't check the ECU for a tune. I did some discrete inquiries. It had been tuned, header install. And, tracked regularly it seems. We have one of the major national drag strips in Ennis, TX. Needless to say, I bought the Bullitt instead.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
That is the failure with the CPO programs. I went through hell with a CPO C6 Z06. Clean car ......... Yeah right ! When the engine developed issues, discovered the powertrain coverage was locked. I ate the cost of a crate motor and the install. I was able to do a title trace. It had been "washed" so to speak. Laws need to be changed to require a dealer to validate that the ECU has not been tuned.

ddanj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro V6 1LE
Ouch. Yea that sucks. I guess CPO is not all it's hyped up to be!

That is the failure with the CPO programs. I went through hell with a CPO C6 Z06. Clean car ......... Yeah right ! When the engine developed issues, discovered the powertrain coverage was locked. I ate the cost of a crate motor and the install. I was able to do a title trace. It had been "washed" so to speak. Laws need to be changed to require a dealer to validate that the ECU has not been tuned.

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
Until pricing comes out I can’t make this decision but I am leaning on the Mach 1 now, for the more friendly drivability in town. My wife also cannot drive a stick, and won’t be driving my Mustang unless it’s absolutely necessary, but my main reason is a cautious pessimism on the Voodoo engine. I’m in this for the long haul, and Voodoo failure stories have me concerned after the warranty expires.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Don't kid urselves.. it's gonna be priced like the GT350.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, without the Handling Pack, you can option the A10, but I'd sort of assume with the GT350 being the comparison, we're talking a Mach I Handling Pack (and as such, a manual). Then I'd guess the major comparison points are:

Mach I

Obviously, new car warranty
Maybe better around town (more low/mid with the Coyote)
Possibly less major engine failure concern / less cost in the event of failure[?]

And just having a new performance car, without any unknowns

GT350

Shelby exclusivity / unique ownership experience with the high RPM FPC
A few more unique exterior elements
Notable brake upgrade
Good post. The brakes on the Shelby are probably the biggest plus, but having an additional ~50 hp and high RPM is awesome as well.

I sold my GT350 partially due to concerns about reliability, but I didn't ever have any problems with mine.

The other comparison I'd make is DI + PI versus port injection alone. I personally would rather have port injection, but it's been a couple years since Ford started doing DI on the Coyote, so they may have worked out any issues.

I put 33,000 mostly street miles on my Shelby and I think it's the perfect daily. The clutch pedal is very light, and if you keep engine RPM low you will have no problems in low traction situations such as temperatures below 20 F, etc. I had a cheap set of MMD Axim wheels in 19x8.5 as my winter setup.

I agree with someone else who posted that the cold startup noise on the Shelby is a negative. It's loud on startup. The other thing about the Shelby active exhaust is the valves open up whenever you nail it. There's no option to keep the car quiet on 3/4 to full throttle. I don't know if the newer cars have that option or not.

From a money standpoint, maintenance on the Shelby brakes will cost more (worth it IMO, but it might not be to you). Those brakes are amazing, especially if you get to the track and use them hard. Also the Shelby will depreciate less. However if you have engine trouble unless there's a warranty in play the GT350 could be really expensive. I like the idea of a CPO GT350 if you can find one.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
With the price of used GT350's I'd get the GT350 unless you want the A10. The GT350 would have an edge in power and handling. Not a HUGE one though. Also, be multiple thousand less.
Can't get the Handling/Track Pack with the A10. So the GT350 will have a big edge over a Mach 1 A10.

Also better brakes, better looking, plus heritage and almost surely a better resale value down the line.

A lot depends on the street price. Has anyone else noticed the recent increase in used (& new) GT350 pricing? Seems like overnight they went up $5K a month or two back.

I am expecting a '21 Mach 1 with Track Pack to be ~$55K + $5K ADM, so essentially the same price as a base 2020 GT350. And $15K more than a new SS 1LE that is arguably a closer competitor.

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
Used car pricing in general has gone up. Usually, new car sales keep used car pricing down. With factories shutdown and Covid overall, there isn’t enough new car sales to keep used car prices down. That should correct itself over the next few months. The announcement of no 2021 GT350 has increased the prices as well.

OP
OP
DoctorJedi

DoctorJedi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camry
Prices are definitely up. Cars that went for 27m or now 32k.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great thread about two amazing Mustangs: both would be awesome in most categories for performance and style. If this was a thread about comparing The Gt350 to the new Mach1 on The Gt350 thread you would hear more positive comments about the Shelby compared to a Mach1 ; a careful and knowledgeable buyer of a Pre owned, cared for GT350R will win in The depreciation war . It’s also faster than a 2020 GT500 at an autocross course . Most of this level of Mustang is purchased for performance. I doubt that the new Mach1 will run a 136.16 at Laguna Seca stock . and the GT350 has a 1.6% engine failure! BMW is about 3.6% ; I would challenge the cross plane GT V8 any better But when a flat plane had failed it gets more press . I’d love to get a new Mach1 for the street and have my R for the track and less Depreciation. I think after the normal years of ownership I would replace the Mach1 first but always keep my GT350R. After owning 26 mustangs it’s the best ever . Car and Driver top 20 “ GOAT “ . The 65 mustang and the Shelby GT350. Are the only ones listed .
Sponsored