M6G Suspension Nirvana

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
I'm sure you have some pictures on your phone. It's basically a crime not to have any. It's the law. I just want to see some pics before I make my purchase very soon haha. I'll send you my phone since it's easier to just text them over haha.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Actually you're right, I forgot I took some right after I completed the work. This was also the last time I washed my car, coincidentally. It sits slightly higher now than it did when I had the SP763 springs on PP shocks and struts, maybe like a quarter inch.
IMG_4464.jpg
IMG_4465.jpg
IMG_4467.jpg
IMG_4468.jpg
IMG_4470.jpg

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Rather than start a new thread repeating much of what is already here, I wanted to just build on this. I started with a PP1 car and quickly changed the springs to FP progressive lowering springs. Bmr cb05 ,762 , and end links. Car was still twitchy in the rear and numb in the front. Went with steeda roll center/ bump steer, fp track dampers, and sp 083. First I'll start with the bad.
1) steering is very responsive, gone is that dead spot in the center. Sounds good and it is on back roads. But if drive to work drinking coffee, shaving, make up, whatever the wheel needs constant attention. It will track left or right depending on the road.
2) ride is stiffer, but not harsh. Feedback is very very good, so you will feel every road imperfection but it is not jarring.
Ok the good,
1) as stated the car is flat and true, steering is tight.
2) for the first time the tires actually give before the chassis... And that is at ridiculous cornering speed. Like 90+ on a 35mph turn. Even then it is progressive and if you have more balls than me, you could steer with the rear wheels to correct.
3) that floating feeling at 100+ mph is gone. Tried aggressive lane changes at 135+ and it felt like a true sports car.
I might feel differently later, but don't think the sway bars are necessary. I'm on 285/325 4s tires now. If I go to a R compound and track the car, I'd probably change my mind. For just over $1000 it is worth every penny! Even for a fat 401a pp car with a Whipple.

LIUTOFSIK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Thank you for this thread!

SlowStangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What setting on the BMR sway bar are you using? My mods match yours almost to a T, and after I installed the Steeda roll center corrected front arms, I was getting a lot more understreer at autoX than I was before. I initially thought that the camber I lost after I installed the Steeda arms was the culprit however, I also had the BMR front bar on medium. So I recently adjusted the bar to the softest setting in a hope to dial back some of the understeer. Do you think that will help?? If not, my next purchase will be a pair CC plates so I can dial back in some camber.
How was the handling balance after you set your bar back to soft?
I think I have the same problem, and I want to set it back to soft as well. Unfortunately, I'm using stock links and the end link stud too long to remove from the middle without removing the strut xD. I'll swap them out with aftermarket end links when I cut the strut hole open later.

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How was the handling balance after you set your bar back to soft?
I think I have the same problem, and I want to set it back to soft as well. Unfortunately, I'm using stock links and the end link stud too long to remove from the middle without removing the strut xD. I'll swap them out with aftermarket end links when I cut the strut hole open later.
The front BMR on the softest setting didn't make much noticeable difference. Unfortunately, that car was totaled so I never did install a set of CC plates. But on my current car, I will install the CC plates at the same time I do the springs this fall. I wish I would have done that on the previous car.

SlowStangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The front BMR on the softest setting didn't make much noticeable difference. Unfortunately, that car was totaled so I never did install a set of CC plates. But on my current car, I will install the CC plates at the same time I do the springs this fall. I wish I would have done that on the previous car.

Sorry to hear about your prior stang :( What wheels and tires were you running on it before though? I have 285 Michelin PS4S square, and I'm simply thinking it isn't a wide and grippy enough tire for the middle setting

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear about your prior stang :( What wheels and tires were you running on it before though? I have 285 Michelin PS4S square, and I'm simply thinking it isn't a wide and grippy enough tire for the middle setting
On the previous Mustang, I was running a square setup using the 19x9.5 PP1 wheels with 285/35 Firestone Indy Firehawk tires, which no doubt was also contributing to the understeer. While that's a great street tire it's no match for a 200TW autoX tire.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
On the previous Mustang, I was running a square setup using the 19x9.5 PP1 wheels with 285/35 Firestone Indy Firehawk tires, which no doubt was also contributing to the understeer. While that's a great street tire it's no match for a 200TW autoX tire.
9.5" wheels really aren't wide enough for 285/35 tires when the main interest is in cornering/handling/understeer reduction, either.

Norm

SlowStangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

SlowStangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I wonder how those compare to PS4S's, they're a great value proposition in comparison

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wonder how those compare to PS4S's, they're a great value proposition in comparison
I have run both and honestly on the street I couldn't tell a difference. On the autoX course, the PS4's were ever so slightly better but neither hold a candle to a good set of 200TW tires.

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
+1 to what Norm said

@CoolRod Billy Johnson has a good article on how to select the right wheel/tire combo:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/
I've read the article. Good stuff.

I now run a square set of 19x10 SVE SP2 wheels for autoX with a 275/35 Federal 595PRO tire. While these are definitely better than a PS4 or Firestone Firehawk, after a half dozen events I can already tell they are wearing. But again, I couldn't beat the price.

Canti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Thought I'd post this here instead of starting a new thread. I followed a lot of the recommendations on this thread to upgrade the suspension on my Mustang and they really work for making the car feel amazing in the corners and improving the feel through the steering wheel. But, I am really starting to notice that it may be too stiff for the mostly city driving that I do now since I got the parts installed over a year ago. The roads that drive on where I moved to are not great and the car just does not absorb the rough stuff to where it is starting to grate on me now. These are the parts that I went with for my handling upgrades:
  • BMR - CB005 - Cradle bushing lockout kit
  • BMR - SP083 - Lowering springs
  • BMR - SB044 - front sway bar
  • BMR - CB006 - Chassis Brace
  • Steeda Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction Kit
  • Steeda Camber Plates
  • Steeda Billet Rear Shock Mount
  • Ford Performance Strut Tower Brace
  • Ford Performance Track Shock and Strut Kit
Now, I really don't want to go into another suspension overhaul because I do love how the car handles on track and on a nice back road like when I go out to visit friends in the burbs. But I know I probably need to give SOME of that up for some more compliance in the city. I was thinking maybe softer springs like the steeda progressives or BMR performance SP080. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.