Lost 3rd at the track

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I know manual transmissions are pretty simple, but it surprises me Ford is paying to rebuild them instead of just sending a new unit
Sponsored

OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I know manual transmissions are pretty simple, but it surprises me Ford is paying to rebuild them instead of just sending a new unit
They claimed that the technician's cost analysis (required by Ford) indicated that it was less expensive to rebuild than to replace.

OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
It definitely sounds like a bearing. The whining sound is getting louder when the clutch is out (but silent when the clutch is in). An appointment is set for tomorrow morning, and hopefully they can resolve it quickly.

OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Initial diagnosis (from symptoms without taking anything apart): throwout bearing.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Classic throw out bearing symptom, at least they do not have to tear into trans.
But they still have to remove it. Hopefully all will be good after that.

Sponsored

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just had my transmission pulled apart on my 2020 R to replace a grinding 6th gear synchro. Besides being at the dealer a week, got it back and good as new. Seems pretty standard to try to repair before full transmission replacement.

OrangeBeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang, 2020 Forester, 2019 Acura RDX
Is this the start of a Tremec transmission issue that we are going to hear about for the next several years? I have still yet to come across anyone personally that has had a problem with the MT-82 since the improvement. I sometimes think forum posters have a type of hypochondria except with their cars. If you look at any car brand or model forum you see the same squeeky wheels getting the grease and having everyone in panic mode waiting for a noise, squeel, tick, etc, etc. Just go drive your car and enjoy it. If you track your car, expect it to be broken. They wouldn't have invented pit crews if track cars didn't break down all the time.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'm confused by the relevance of the MT-82 to this thread but like with any forum the problems in any particular car will be posted about and magnified.

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
my 2019 R had a complete new unit installed at 1,800 miles I was on my way to work and the 5/6 syncro failed. dealer test drove the car and confirmed the failure thay called me later that day with bad/good news. bad news there is a national parts shortage and the dealers that have the parts don't want to give them up good news ford authorized a new unit. A week later I had a new trans a damaged splitter and a broken shifter bezel dealer said the car came in that way. thank newborn 7 lb 06 oz baby jesus everything was cought on my dash cam dealer replaced all damaged parts after I showed them the video where the tech drove the car in to the back lot storage causing the damage

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Exactly why I don’t want dealers touching my stuff. If they screw up, just own it and make it right, don’t try and gaslight a mofo into thinking he’s crazy. SMDH

Sponsored
OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Update on 3rd gear...

TL;DR -- After several attempts at repair, the dealer replaced the entire transmission with a brand new one. Everything works (and sounds) perfect now.

I'm not privy to the internal workings of Ford and their warranty service dealers, but here is my understanding of what happened with my vehicle. At the time of the initial diagnosis, FoMoCo required that the dealer perform a cost analysis of repairing the transmission versus a replacement. This original analysis indicated that it would less expensive to repair the transmission.

After the repair was inadequate (due to loud the whining sound, like a bad bearing), the dealer tried two repairs that did not require them to open up the transmission again. These did not fix the issue. At this point, both the coordinator and the service manager were calling me directly with updates. They told me there were in touch with corporate to get approval to fully replace the transmission. This took a couple of business days to get approval, then they ordered the transmission + related parts.

It was an option for me to contact Ford customer service directly, but the dealer always seemed professional and on top of things. By the time that I started questioning if the dealer had a clue how to fix the transmission, they were already in touch with Ford to get a full replacement.

In hindsight, I probably should have pushed for a new transmission from the get-go. But to be frank, I was just happy that the dealer was honoring the warranty without any hassle. It may also have served me better to call Ford customer service early in the process - but everything seems to have worked out.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just curious if you saw the bill for how much a new transmission and installation was (as more of these cars get closer to or out of warranty)?

OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I did see the dealer tally sheets, but those were not included on my paperwork. These are dealer costs, so probably not the same out of warranty. From memory:
Initial Repair: $3500
Replacement: $8500

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I did see the dealer tally sheets, but those were not included on my paperwork. These are dealer costs, so probably not the same out of warranty. From memory:
Initial Repair: $3500
Replacement: $8500
Wow! That’s high. A guy can buy two Stage 3 Calimer built transmissions for $8500.
Sponsored