Sponsored

Lost 3rd at the track

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Had a great track day, but on my last grouping the car popped out of 3rd and won't go back in. Has anyone had this experience?

More info:
- I have the MGW short shifter (been on for 2 years)
- Clutch pedal was getting wonky on the track (had to pull up with my toe a couple of times)
- 4th grinds like there is no more synchro

I was on the last turn of the track, so I just coasted in. It doesn't appear anything is leaking, but I haven't gotten under the car for a really thorough check. I drove home, only using 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th.

The vehicle is still under warranty, so I made an appointment to bring it in.
Sponsored

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a aftermarket shifter in there good luck with warranty

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I thought the GT350 trans was supposed to be the best trans out there for 18+ Mustangs. I was wondering if I should consider this swap over a T56 trans swap?

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Good thing is this isn’t a Porsche or some exotic, which may cost a fortune to repair or replace. I’m sure you’ll be back to square one without a lot of drama.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I thought the GT350 trans was supposed to be the best trans out there for 18+ Mustangs. I was wondering if I should consider this swap over a T56 trans swap?
I've had 2 T56 transmissions in other cars. Both had synchro issues that needed warranty repair. The TR-3160 is mucho grande better. And that's with the stock shifter. I will say after after the synchro issue were sorted, the T56's were good. But the GT350 trans is soooo much smoother.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! We'll see what they say. I'm not out to hide anything, and will take the car in as-is for the appointment.
Hoping for the best outcome for you

Sponsored

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Check the shifter.
Not sure if the one you have has stops (bolts) that set Max throw which effects 3rd and 5th most.
If it does and they weren’t set correctly or bolts vibrated down toward shifter, that could definitely have lead to your issue.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Check the shifter.
Not sure if the one you have has stops (bolts) that set Max throw which effects 3rd and 5th most.
If it does and they weren’t set correctly or bolts vibrated down toward shifter, that could definitely have lead to your issue.
I don’t know of any shifters for the S550 that have adjustable stop bolts. I asked about that a while back. The older T45 and T56 did though...this design would have been nice on the S550 and might have saved a lot of owners some trouble.

OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Check the shifter.
Checking the shifter is good advice. I'll get it up in the air to look later this week. My service appointment isn't for another 4 weeks due to the dealer being so busy. I've got time to thoroughly inspect it...

Regarding stop bolts... I honestly don't know if there are adjustments on the MGW shifter - it was over 2 years ago when I installed it. Have to look that up.

OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I inspected the underside of the car, and couldn't find anything wrong or out-of place. Certainly nothing causing the intermittent grinding sound. As I was positioning the car to put it on the lift, the car no longer would go into reverse.

The MGW shifter looked and felt fine - but I couldn't tell if the throw was somehow being interrupted internally. In case I was missing something, I completely removed the MGW shifter and put the stock shifter in. There is no difference. Reverse and third do not engage.

Unless anyone has a good idea that doesn't involve removing the transmission, I'll be leaving the Shelby in the garage for the next 3 weeks until my service appointment.

OP
OP
datadatum

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
After a significant delay (shop is busy), my car is undergoing repairs. I haven't heard the full diagnosis yet but parts are on order. When I asked the tech what broke, he said, "It's hard to know what went wrong first..."
Sponsored