Sponsored

CEL at the track day

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Today I was doing an HpD event at Palmer Motorsports. The car ran great. After the third session I noticed i had the check engine light on. The car had performed vey well through the sessions. No limp mode, nothing seemed out of order. Temperatures were fine, in the low 200s, another guy with a 350 was there and he said his read pretty much the same.

I had a couple of jerky downshifts on the track but nothing dramatic and nothing I can imagine would have any effect on the engine. This morning I noticed I was running a bit low on oil so I topped it up and that was it, again I can't think it would have had any effect but I'm trying to think of anything different from usual.

I tried waiting a half hour and turning on again but nothing changed, light stayed on. went to an advance auto parts but they said they dont read the codes anymore. The engine idles smoothly, no knock or other ugly sound. Clearly I haven't tried to do hard pulls but it felt like it ran exactly like this morning, with just as much power.

Any guesses?
Sponsored

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
Probably something emissions related. Maybe an O2 sensor went out.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Can't you enter the engineering mode in the dash to read the DTC?

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I'd probably take it to the dealer and use my warranty..:shrug:

302toVoodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In Sport Mode ... ALL THE TIME!
So you topped up the oil and the CEL went out right? Just me thinking out loud here...but there's gotta be a sensor for low oil. You probably tripped that which caused the CEL, topping up reset it to normal. How much oil did it take? In a high strung high performance motor I think using oil, especially under track conditions, is going to be fairly normal. Had a bored out high compression low tension piston ring high strung Ducati motor that needed to be fed a half quart every so often...I expect my 350 to have similar idiosyncrasies.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Gotta get the code read with a scanner or some other method. Trying to guess why a CEL is on without knowing the code is an excercise in futility

OP
OP

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd probably take it to the dealer and use my warranty..:shrug:
Of course I'll do that, that will have to be in a few days though so wondering if people had heard of sthg like that.

So you topped up the oil and the CEL went out right?
Nope, sorry, I wasnt clear. Topped up in the morning, all looked good, then light came up in the afternoon.

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
A CEL can be anything. Nobody on the forum can accurately guess what it is. Get an OBDII reader or just take it in.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT350 has an option to run a CEL diagnostics and display the results on screen, I did it before but forgot how, LOL

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
A CEL can be anything. Nobody on the forum can accurately guess what it is. Get an OBDII reader or just take it in.
I can. I have a 6th sense when it comes to CEL and their causes especially for cars I've never encountered. :D

OP
OP

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turned out to be 0128 COolant below the temperature bullshit. I ignored it and ran all day. I see there's a thread specifically for that code.

Interestingly two other things happened today, the oil pressure gauge reads high (doesn't go below 50 when idle) and I got locked out of the driving mode selection after trying to select Race mode, but that's for another thread.
Sponsored