Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
this is a pretty good list of tires. There are a few others, but this list is already paired down to the good tires that will take the heat from track abuse and won't wear too fast. There are faster tires, but they'll also wear faster. (295/35R19 A052s if you can find the Yokohams. Also Falken RT660s)

If you're going to get a dedicated set of tires for street and for track, then its a good idea to look at a dedicated set of wheels too, and something closer to 11"F 11"R in size. Being limited to 255s on the front isn't great for track use.
I have the HP wheels as a second set, 10.5" front and 11" rear.
Sponsored

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 F350 DRW Platinum
OP are you planning on using the HP wheels just for the track? If so I wouldnā€™t go that route, they arenā€™t particularly light.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP are you planning on using the HP wheels just for the track? If so I wouldnā€™t go that route, they arenā€™t particularly light.
Sure the wheels are heavy, but, like, so is the car. Lets not be too precious about weight if the OP already has them.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Goodyear Supercar 3R is faster than Cup2 and cost half the price.
Cup2s cost just as much as Hoosier A7's...I see zero reason to ever get Cup2's to be honest
100 percent agree. I think the cup 2 is way overrated and thereā€™s way better tires out there. The 3r being one of them

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Sure the wheels are heavy, but, like, so is the car. Lets not be too precious about weight if the OP already has them.
There is a Segway to my post, I just havenā€™t got to typing it out yet!

Sponsored

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I didnā€™t see the post that he already had the wheels.

So Segway, I wanted to share that I did the same thing that OP did. Bought a non HP car. Then I went about changing it all over to HP spec.

I ended up keeping the HP wheels and PS4ā€™s as a street set, and a bonus back up wet track day set. After having done a couple of track days and got bit by the bug pretty hard I went and bought a dedicated set of Apex track wheels 19x11 square with supercar 3 tires. Iā€™d suggest keep the HP wheels ā€˜niceā€™ and you always have them to put back on the car after destroying your track set like this:

63048545-137D-4CF3-A9EB-81436A0C5B46.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TRDFurgesson

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase

So Segway, I wanted to share that I did the same thing that OP did. Bought a non HP car. Then I went about changing it all over to HP spec.

I ended up keeping the HP wheels and PS4ā€™s as a street set, and a bonus back up wet track day set. After having done a couple of track days and got bit by the bug pretty hard I went and bought a dedicated set of Apex track wheels 19x11 square with supercar 3 tires. Iā€™d suggest keep the HP wheels ā€˜niceā€™ and you always have them to put back on the car after destroying your track set like this:

I can see going PS4 on the HP wheels when the cup 2's expire. I have been very happy with the PS4's that came with the Mach 1 on the smaller wheels. How long did your Cup2's last?

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I didnā€™t actually go down the Cup2 route. Went straight to PS4ā€™s. Mainly because what others have said in here and other track mustang forums about the Cup2 street manners and wear. Butā€¦..this was before I knew that I was a Track Addict šŸ˜¬.

Now I have a roll cage, fixed back seats, 6 points, Apex 19x11 track wheels, cut my strut mounts etc etc. itā€™s a slippery slopeā€¦ā€¦One thing is for sure, I really think the Mach1 more than anything, gives you glimpses of what a more track orientated car can do, and it makes you want more.

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
BTW, The SuperCar 3 tires, lasted 4-5 track days at best. You could could get longer out of a set, but I didnā€™t manage them well, and kept pushing even when I could feel they gone.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
Except for the fact that wheels are the just about the very best place to cut weight. They are both unsprung weight and rotating mass. That's why people will spend crazy money to remove even a pound or two. I know the OP has the wheels, but for others that may be reading and haven't bought wheels a lighter set and a square set are better for track days. Square will also reduce tire costs through longer life.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Except for the fact that wheels are the just about the very best place to cut weight. They are both unsprung weight and rotating mass. That's why people will spend crazy money to remove even a pound or two. I know the OP has the wheels, but for others that may be reading and haven't bought wheels a lighter set and a square set are better for track days. Square will also reduce tire costs through longer life.
But are you going to say that a track day is a futile exercise if your wheels aren't 10lbs forged ultralights? (I had 9lbs wheels on one car, and no they didn't didn't cause the car to levitate and didn't add 100 hp)

The weight savings are nice to have. If he already possesses the wheels, then run what you brung. If the OP is in the market, then sure, steer towards lighter options.

Personally, I'd never buy stock wheels (too heavy), but I would definitely throw some track tires on a set if they were gifted to me.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
But are you going to say that a track day is a futile exercise if your wheels aren't 10lbs forged ultralights? (I had 9lbs wheels on one car, and no they didn't didn't cause the car to levitate and didn't add 100 hp)

The weight savings are nice to have. If he already possesses the wheels, then run what you brung. If the OP is in the market, then sure, steer towards lighter options.

Personally, I'd never buy stock wheels (too heavy), but I would definitely throw some track tires on a set if they were gifted to me.
Hence why I said:

ā€œ I know the OP has the wheels, but for others that may be reading and haven't bought wheels a lighter set and a square set are better for track days.ā€

paulb351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT,Everest,FocusRS,MustangMach1
Don't forget that Michelin also make a Sport Cup 2R tyre that is more track focused than the Sport Cup 2 tyre fitted to HP cars, faster track time and an option for a totally track only tyre set.

My car is supercharged and with 800Hp Cup 2 tyres on road have been reassuring in handling the torque/power although living in a non-winter climate I don't have worries about cold weather tyre grip problems, 4S simply spin constantly. Managed 12 months on Cup 2's and 10,000 miles plus 1 track day of 5 x 20 minute full throttle sessions and although I have tread left they have gone off and need replacing.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack

Is that a cup 2 tires.what sizes supercar III

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Is that a cup 2 tires.what sizes supercar III
Those were supercar3 tires. 305/30/19 squared set up. I think I got 4-5 track days out of them. This was the front right.
Sponsored