Looking for input from A10 owners

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
I only have about 650mile on this 2021 GT and I feel the shifting down is rough, I guess the rev match. In about 1/2 WOT shifts are great, coming to a stop in D mode can be rough, less than S mode. hmm I searched and found this thread so curious.

Edit: Never had rough shifting in D, S+ or track, or manual shift mode, its nice. Just curious about the downshifting in sport mode worries me as it kinda jumps forward on me.
Sponsored

Canti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Something the owner of a mustang performance shop told me down here in Georgia is that the jerky downshifts are programed in by ford for fuel efficiency reasons. I believe that having the trans shift at specific RPMs, depending on load, gets the best mileage out of it. Unfortunately it does not always make for the smoothest shifts. I believe him on this one, because I've seen from multiple reviews on other Ford products with the 10r80 that the reviewers complain about the trans not shifting as smoothly as they would like and it all sounds similar to the complaints I've seen on the forum about the jerkiness on the shifts (especially downshifts).

He said he can tune out that logic and make it shift smoother and I have heard that the power pack that ford sells has as part of the tune new shift logic that greatly improves the transmission feel. I already took my mustang to the dealer about it early last year and they did the transmission fluid refill (mine had the bare minimum fluid from the factory) and a second time they did a reflash. It's just how this trans is programmed. I will probably take up the shop's offer on the tune once my warranty runs out, but just wanted to share what I've learned over the past two years with my 2018.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
My 2018 GT premium has a nice functioning trans. Crisp shifts is most modes. I do notice a very aggressive 4th-5th shift in the sportier modes. I like it but it does seem odd that it's always the 4-5 that really cracks hard even on 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. On the 2019 PP1 Premium Magnaride I just got, the transmission seems a bit less aggressive so far and definitely doesn't have that 4-5 snap. However, in drag mode the 2019 PP1 seems more aggressive than any mode the 18 offers. I'm stumped.

Side note: I picked up the 2018 as a new leftover with 200 "mystery miles" on it from a dealership in spring of 2019. The car was special ordered (green window sticker) with the 3:55 gears. I was curious if someone turned it or modded the transmission settings as it seemed a lot "jumpier" in a good way than both the 2019 PP2 was and the 2019 PP1 vert 🤷‍♂️

Any plug in tests that can tell someone if the trans has been recalibrated?

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Ive noticed on my 18 gt that when its at operating temp shifting from R to D or D to R it feels like its slipping/low trans fluid. Is that normal? It only has 11k miles on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Ive noticed on my 18 gt that when its at operating temp shifting from R to D or D to R it feels like its slipping/low trans fluid. Is that normal? It only has 11k miles on it.
If you read enough threads about this trans you'll probably agree that it's tough to say what is "normal" with the 10r80 - seems most agree that it is just a clunky trans in some modes. My car is smooth in normal but clunky in other modes...

Reactions: Ock

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If you read enough threads about this trans you'll probably agree that it's tough to say what is "normal" with the 10r80 - seems most agree that it is just a clunky trans in some modes. My car is smooth in normal but clunky in other modes...
I tend to agree - ive got some time on my warenty so if it fails its all covered... It happens in all modes.

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I tend to agree - ive got some time on my warenty so if it fails its all covered... It happens in all modes.
There is a huge thread regarding this transmission - you should check it out - lots of good information on it. If your trans is clunky in all modes you should get the fluid level checked by the dealer. Then ask them to go through the full KAM reset procedure. This is what I just did and seems to have helped. The tech told me that if it remains clunky they will start looking at hardware, valve body, etc...

Last edited:

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
There is a huge thread regarding this transmission - you should check it out - lots of good information on it. If your trans is clunky in all modes you should get the fluid level checked by the dealer. Then ask them to go through the full KAM reset procedure. This is what I just did and seems to have helped. The tech told me that if it remains clunky they will start looking at hardware, throttle body, etc...
Definitely - ive been reading that post. Ill call them in the morning. Thanks!

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Where did you see it mentioned that S+ mode affects the engine tune in terms of camshaft timing?
It was from a video. When I first got the car I watched a ton of video's from Ford and other sources (like CJ Pony and such, not video's from some dude named Steve who thinks he's an internet expert) about features of the car and different modes and it was mentioned there. Easy way to tell, my car does not have active exhaust and when you flip it into Sport+ there is a noticeable change in the exhaust note at the same rpm. So something internal in the engine has changed.
Sponsored