Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Nice! That means no more gatherings in the Bay Area. Enjoy retirement. I’ve taken mine to San Diego. Easily able to get there on a little over a tank and a half averaging 95 (500 miles for to door).
Not with me anyway...thank you!
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
As compared to what ? A mustang II ? The S550 has a very short 107" wheelbase.
In comparison to 2 seat front or midengine sports cars that pull double duty as a street/track capable performer. My previous car, 2007 911 Turbo has 92 inch wheelbase, almost a foot and a half shorter. My GT350R rides way way better, and is faster on the race track.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Nice, congrats on the retirement. Sounds like a very enjoyable trip. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and drove it to work 1 day so far, put about 150 miles on it. Very comfortable, I could easily see me taking road trips in it. I do have a more fuel efficient daily driver (drive 200 plus a day normally) but I could see myself driving the 'Stang on occasion, definitely be a lot more fun :)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Thanks Tony. We're retiring because we can. BUT, not in the SF Bay area. We had a short list of needs/wants in a retirement destination. In no order; lower cost of housing/living, reduced taxes, immediate access to good medical care, immediate access to a major international airport, fairly easy access to goods, services, entertainment and dining, immediate access to In-N-Out burgers. When you line up your wants/needs, it's amazing how few places in the country fit the bill. But the suburban Las Vegas area nails every one. The only trade off, and its a BIG one, is the climate. I've been living at the beach for 23 years, and leaving that will be tough. But compromise is the key, and since the LV area has everything else, it was a fairly easy decision. Plus, our house has great air conditioning and a pool and spa.

But let me add one more thing. I've lived in California my entire life, almost 65 years. And the consequences of the politics of this state have rendered it a shell of it's former self. The state I grew up with is long gone, and especially in the SF Bay area, the politics of it have destroyed a once beautiful place. Between the constantly rising costs, the government waste and ineptitude, and the net results of many years of this kind of leadership, I am leaving and only feel bad about those left behind. I'll miss what this place WAS, but I won't miss what it's become.
Thank you for the open and honest reply. I wanted to give it a 😍 but the fall of San Francisco has me 😪 .

You just taught me lesson about making a list of needs AND wants in retirement. I've just been thinking about the wants. Thank you.

OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Thank you for the open and honest reply. I wanted to give it a 😍 but the fall of San Francisco has me 😪 .

You just taught me lesson about making a list of needs AND wants in retirement. I've just been thinking about the wants. Thank you.
Thanks. I forgot to add one other NEED, and that's immediate access to hospitals and healthcare. I have two hospitals less than 10 minutes from my new home.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
My wife and I are retiring to the Las Vegas area, (Centennial Hills) and I decided to drive my 2020 GT350 there rather that trailer or ship it. It's 579 miles from where I currently live (SF Bay area) to our new home. I gassed it up (Premium only always!) and hit the road early in the morning. I really tried to nurse my gas mileage along and did pretty good. I averaged 16-19 MPG for the whole trip. That said, some of the freeways were wide open, easy to see great distances and straight as a string, sooo...I wound it up to 120 on I5 and I must say, it was smooth as silk. This car is very comfortable with speed and 120 felt stable and safe. It was ready for a lot more, but at 120 things were coming at me very quickly, so I backed off. But at least I did it. I burned up 3 full tanks of gas, and at current rates flying would have been cheaper. And apart from my lower back issues it was a fairly comfortable ride. I don't have the R, so no Recaros. It was a long day, traffic here and there, but for the most part the car handled the 579 miles easily and fairly comfortably. Although I don't plan any more long trips in this car, I did it and I know it can do it with ease. I bought this car to drive, it's no garage queen, but no more big stuff. Next up is to drive it to the Shelby headquarters, maybe Cars and Coffee and the Shelby Bash in October. There it is. 579 miles and my 2020 GT350 is now resting comfortably in it's new home.
PXL_20220628_023531955_2.jpg
Yeah, half moon bay area is cool. I'd probably feel almost no difference east bay vs Las Vegas :) Sun burns cactuses here sometimes :)

I've done several Bay Area - Santa Barbara round trips in my GT. 350 miles one way. 5 hours one way.

My overall avg gas mileage climbs 19+ after the trip. I'd close active exhaust as no one cares of sound on the freeway :) I need to adjust a seat after a couple of hours driving to provide better leg support.

350 miles is about as far as my car can get on a single tank, but of course I make a stop each way to top it off and get a cup of coffee :) I usually give it premium.

S550 platform is a very enjoyable GT car. Both times I finished the round trtip in one day and did not feel exhaustion at all.

Plenty of room in the trunk for all your needs, you can also have a passenger or two for a chat, plus a dog if needed. Dogs are good friends.

Some two seaters may pass you on the track or show better times at autoX, but they cannot provide the above.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Just did a 4 hour drive from Long Island, NY up to Lake George. Had to readjust the steering wheel further away to make it comfortable. Normally I have it close for better control. No spirted driving with cars all over, but did maintain an aveage 80 mph on the highway. And I averaged 20.5 mpg, which is what I average in my truck on highway cruises.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks Tony. We're retiring because we can. BUT, not in the SF Bay area. We had a short list of needs/wants in a retirement destination. In no order; lower cost of housing/living, reduced taxes, immediate access to good medical care, immediate access to a major international airport, fairly easy access to goods, services, entertainment and dining, immediate access to In-N-Out burgers. When you line up your wants/needs, it's amazing how few places in the country fit the bill. But the suburban Las Vegas area nails every one. The only trade off, and its a BIG one, is the climate. I've been living at the beach for 23 years, and leaving that will be tough. But compromise is the key, and since the LV area has everything else, it was a fairly easy decision. Plus, our house has great air conditioning and a pool and spa.

But let me add one more thing. I've lived in California my entire life, almost 65 years. And the consequences of the politics of this state have rendered it a shell of it's former self. The state I grew up with is long gone, and especially in the SF Bay area, the politics of it have destroyed a once beautiful place. Between the constantly rising costs, the government waste and ineptitude, and the net results of many years of this kind of leadership, I am leaving and only feel bad about those left behind. I'll miss what this place WAS, but I won't miss what it's become.
Congrats on the Retirement and enjoy the all "new to you" amenities available...

The list of needs you posted made me literally laugh 🤣😂😁 when reading you guys had to have an "In-N-Out Burger" joint as one of the requirements.... Funny, but if it works, all the better for both of you!!! Enjoy!! :)
Sponsored