Sponsored

Let's talk trailers...anyone with a custom ATC/inTech?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I was thinking the same thing as svttime while reading this thread. I seen
ZX3ST post above with an F150 hooked to the trailer and was wondering the difference between say F150 vs F250.
F250 available with a 6.7 Diesel or 7.3 Gas. Much more towing power and capacity.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
F250 available with a 6.7 Diesel or 7.3 Gas. Much more towing power and capacity.
The biggest for me is the stability from the longer wheel base (wider rear on the dually). The Raptor has tons of power with a 10spd and 520 tq (obviously super duty has more), but it's more than adequate.

But it gets pushed around by a fully loaded 24ft trailer because it's just not built for it. Been a great truck - have 25k towing miles on it. But with a bigger trailer, it's time to upgrade!

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
My dually is much more stable then my SRW

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Alright - question for the masses as I've had more time to finalize things and begin to second guess myself.

Anyone have experience with both dual axle 24-28ft trailers AND 32-34ft triple axle trailers? (all bumper pulls).

I currently have a dual, spread axle 28ft spec'd out. I'm wondering if going to a 32ft triple axle might be worth it. GVWR will go up by about 6k, we'll have 6 tires instead of 4 if 1-2 blow, and I'm told that it would be a good bit more stable. This is on top of the extra floor space.

However, I've never towed a 32ft bumper pull (only longer 5th wheel types), so I don't have a good barometer of how the extra length will affect things like backing up, getting out of parking lots, etc. I am aware of the tire scrub on the triple axle, but the trade offs seem worth it to me

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
I pull a 32ft triple axle bumper pull with an F350 dually, and my old F250 was never as stable with this trailer.

I’m actually downsizing to a 26ft intech. The 32ft swallows a lot of spares and gear, but mine ends up loaded with stuff I don’t need and/or would never actually replace at the track. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the longer trailer is actually overkill!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
My toy hauler is a 37’ bumper pull. That’s tip to rear. Weighs roughly 14.5-15k loaded. I pull it with a F250(17)6” lift and 37’s. It tows it fine, but side winds can be sporty at times. I’m referring to 30mph plus. Now behind my 20/550 service truck, which is real similar to a Jayco Seneca Super C in wheel base, it doesn’t know it’s back there for the most part cross winds or not. For some getting use to towing a long setup can be an issue. I doubt you would have an issue with that. If your going to get an RV to tow, especially a diesel c setup, the extra length won’t be an issue. The biggest down side to the longer setups is you just can‘t pull in any where but you learn to adjust for that pretty quick.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I pull a 32ft triple axle bumper pull with an F350 dually, and my old F250 was never as stable with this trailer.

I’m actually downsizing to a 26ft intech. The 32ft swallows a lot of spares and gear, but mine ends up loaded with stuff I don’t need and/or would never actually replace at the track. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the longer trailer is actually overkill!
Ha, you just described exactly why I've considering a longer one. I travel with lots of spares since I'm usually at the track with an RV where I can't easily run to the store and I do a few far from home trips that really suck when you're out on day 1. I know the 28fter will fit all the stuff I want to take now, but it'll start to get tight-ish.

How is backing that 32fter up into tight spaces with the truck? Think you could back it up a driveway from a typical neighborhood street (mine requires a tight 90* degree turn into the driveway on a slight incline and then 75ft to the garage area).

My toy hauler is a 37’ bumper pull. That’s tip to rear. Weighs roughly 14.5-15k loaded. I pull it with a F250(17)6” lift and 37’s. It tows it fine, but side winds can be sporty at times. I’m referring to 30mph plus. Now behind my 20/550 service truck, which is real similar to a Jayco Seneca Super C in wheel base, it doesn’t know it’s back there for the most part cross winds or not. For some getting use to towing a long setup can be an issue. I doubt you would have an issue with that. If your going to get an RV to tow, especially a diesel c setup, the extra length won’t be an issue. The biggest down side to the longer setups is you just can‘t pull in any where but you learn to adjust for that pretty quick.
Is your toy hauler a triple axle? One of the biggest concerns I have is backing it into my driveway. The 24ft I have now take a little consideration with the truck, but it's not too bad. Confident the 28ft will be doable as well, but the 32ft might be pushing it. I just don't have a good idea on how much more restrictive the extra length will be

It's worth looking at used race equipment always on sale and high quality setups.
For sure. Unfortunately the stuff that fits what I'm looking for is going for more than new right now. But I'll keep my eyes open until my order is submitted

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
Backing the trailer into a typical residential driveway is a no-go. Otherwise, normal operation isn’t any different.

Sponsored
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Backing the trailer into a typical residential driveway is a no-go. Otherwise, normal operation isn’t any different.
Too long I take it? Any issues with inclines?

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
For backing in a driveway, you’ve got the extra length plus the tire scrub at slow speeds. Inclines aren’t bad, but there are definitely times the trailer is riding on the small metal bogey wheels mounted under the back deck. When that happens, you can hear it and feel it!

One last note on towing. You can get by with a SRW truck, but there’s no comparison to that and a dually with a long trailer.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Never had a 34 but considered it. My 28 is tight getting into the driveway which is actually not that tight at all. (the driveway that is) I did have a 36 foot Goose that was a piece of cake, well except when I had my short bed pickup but even that was doable. Whatever choice you make you always seem to wonder if you did the right thing :)

calduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP, 2019 F-350, 1970 Mach 1, 1971 Bronco and more...
I bought a 24' Intech from a dealer in Missouri (Flying A Motorsports, a good experience) and had it shipped (towed) to CA last January. If you order one, Intech is backlogged quite a ways (6 months back when I was looking). I found one in stock with nearly all of the options I wanted (ICON package, improved insulation, relocated power tongue jack, 10x5 escape door, carpeted walls, in floor winch, whelen scene lights [very bright], airline track at the right track width, wall mounted spare, in floor box [for storage] and particularly the rear swing out ramp of 5' on top of the ramp door of 83.5" and the 4 ft interior dovetail ramp which then makes it work with the GT350 required approach angle without carrying race ramps etc.)...I haven't hauled my GT350 in it yet, only my 70 Boss 302 (from California to Arkansas). Happy to share more. I looked at ATC and and Intech. The fit/finish on these things is phenomenal compared to my Outdoors RV 27TRX toy hauler...I then complemented it with all kinds of tie down stuff from Mac's Tie Downs (the over the tire straps are the easiest assuming you have e-track or airline track). Only surprise was that it doesn't come standard with Dexter's self adjusting brakes (easy enough to change when brakes are worn out) that I have on my toy hauler and on my open car hauler. Trailer itself weighs close to 4800 lbs...so keep that in mind if you plan to load it up. If you custom order one of these, I'd upgrade the axles and brakes to 6K axles or more more (and derate the GVWR if you want to <10K knowing you can carry more if needed or have additional safety/durability cushion). Mine at least had the 16" rims/tires upgrade on the dual 5K axles. If you live out west and want the absolute widest floor, you can take a look at TPD trailers as well (more clearance than either Intech or ATC I believe). They are based in Sacramento. I also added Ford's trailer TPMS to integrate it with my Super Duty's TPMS monitoring system. Good luck. Other than the price :) you won't regret it...

20210106_093218.jpg

20210106_093243.jpg

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
This one showed up on racing junk & after window shopping for 3 years decided that what it had to offer fit the family plans very nicely. It will also do duty on farm. older model with very little use. Featherlite quality is excellent.
IMG_0624.jpg
Sponsored