Sponsored

Latest Sync 3 Map Update

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I tried updating direct to Sync3. Something started downloading, then I left it as I was t prepared to wait in the car for hours. After only a few minutes the download had stopped and there was no solid confirmation of anything having been updated.

The info on my Sync unit says the software version is 2.2 and the maps are EU 4 15

What should they be?
Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Just downloaded The Unarchiver for Mac free and itā€™s opened everything but I still think itā€™s not going to work. I downloaded some form of winrar for Mac earlier and saw my keychain of passwords had been opened so I binned it and Iā€™m doing a full virus scan. The Unarchiver is ok and downloaded free from the apple store. Yep didnā€™t work, same error code
B225EC90-81C7-4E38-B19E-D6E448BFD796.jpeg

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
I tried updating direct to Sync3. Something started downloading, then I left it as I was t prepared to wait in the car for hours. After only a few minutes the download had stopped and there was no solid confirmation of anything having been updated.

The info on my Sync unit says the software version is 2.2 and the maps are EU 4 15

What should they be?

I think Maps should be F8 now. And sync should be V3. I'm guessing that hasn't worked. It's recomnrecom that that your go for a drive. I couldn't get mine to work sat with the engine running.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Seriously guys go to this link - https://s550.guru/how-to-update-ford-sync-3-navigation-maps-europe-f8-2018/

It tells you exactly how to do it. If you can't get the Ford downloads to work there are direct links at that site.

If you are on Sync3 v 2.2 'jord79' you MUST update to V3 (18025) first before you install the updated maps. Ford should offer this first when you put your VIN in as long as it is a UK car and not a US direct import. Don't try over WiFi as even the Sync update is a couple of Gb and will take forever. The good news is you can update directly from 2.2 to 3.0 and then maps from F4.1 to F8

Flamesey - that archive is NOT the maps update and WILL NOT WORK ! You can download it as many times as you like from Ford, but if my VIN is anything to go by it is presenting the wrong file for download for some reason on the Mustang. It is far too small. use the maps link at the site above (23.3Gb). When you have the download (zip archive) extract it to the root of a USB drive which should leave you with 2 files (install.lst and DONTINDX.MSA) plus the folder SyncMyRide containing the tarballs (tar.gz)) as shown below. This is what the USB drive should look like it when you browse to it's root after extraction. As mentioned before the update takes about 40 minutes x 2 with an ignition cycle in the middle.

upload_2019-2-17_22-34-50.png

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Ah I couldnā€™t find the link but it appears when you like it though Facebook. Iā€™ve emailed the link to myself and Iā€™ll see what gets downloaded and opened tomorrow. If it looks ok Iā€™ll have to get a bigger stick and have a go in a couple of weeks when I get back from being a bargain Brit in the sun...off to benidorm Tuesday lol. Thanks Greg :like:

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
silly question -

cant I just drive to a Ford dealer and get them to do this?

(or let them do it whenever its in for some work / service)

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if Ford can't give us the correct files to download, personally I would use the dealer as a last resort. I'm managing to download the 25gb now from the link Gregg gave. If that doesn't work or it comes out in German I'm screwed lol and I'll be looking to see how to put the system back to factory settings

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well Iā€™ve downloaded it but this time although I did get the .MSA file, I got 3 syncmyride folders Iā€™ve opened but no .lst file . Iā€™m thinking maybe of taking the .lst file from the ford download and stick it with the Guru download ?????
C8DFC25F-BE48-4CC9-AB38-71B6CE89DF0D.jpeg

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it didn't work. When I added the .lst file it did recognise that there was an update but got the same error message. When i deleted that file and tried again, it didn't recognise any update. Just spoke to a dealer, they don't deal with it at all. I guess it will wait for Map 9 and see if they get it right then.

Update..spoke to Ford Customer service who say (although I doubt it) that they are aware but told to contact a dealer. anyhoo I contacted a bigger dealer-Fordthorne Cardiff and spoke to a tech and they will try and deal with it so its booked in 4th March. Binned my local dealer now.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Something is damaging the download there. You don't have three syncmyride folders your zip program is just expanding the tarballs to make it look that way. The install.lst cannot just be swapped (the one you had was not correct for the full map download) The problem may be Mac related. I'm just downloading myself from that link (which is the Ford repository anyway) to see what it looks like.

A Ford dealer can do it but they will do exactly the same thing and charge for the hour and a half the car has to sit there engine running to install it.

I will check the download in a minute and report back

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yes, all downloaded fine with complete collection of files and folders. I think your Mac is causing the problem in the way it is dealing with nested archives. You need to use a PC if you have access to one and don't use native support for zip files use a dedicated bit of software such as WinZip or WinRAR

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Found this helpful video on YouTube with specific reference to Mac users. He says not use Safari to download the update and als to use Unarchiver (actually called ā€˜The Unarchiverā€™ on Appleā€™s App Store) to unzip the file. Iā€™ve tried that now, but get the same errors. If you read through the comments under the video, it seems some other Mac users have had success with this method, so Iā€™ve no idea what Iā€™m doing wrong. But in case it works for anyone else, hereā€™s the vid...

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
This update gets weirder. It failed at the weekend so I carved out some time to go for a drive today to do it.

Got the in the car, fired her up and inserted the USB stick. I then I got a message on screen to say the update was completed. I checked the about screen and maps are now F8.

Weird.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
you have to powercycle for the update to complete that is normal

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
. . . . . . . . If you are on Sync3 v 2.2 . . . . . . you MUST update to V3 (18025) first before you install the updated maps. . . . . . . .
That is what the Ford site tells me and presents a smaller file than the maps file for download. I assume this is the sync 3 update file but if just wonā€™t extract!
Sponsored