Sponsored

Latest Sync 3 Map Update

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
Odd, mine worked ok from the main one under the heater controls - I thought that was the correct one to use...
I may be wrong, but that was my recollection. I'll be updating over the weekend when I go for a drive through Wales.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
upload_2019-2-14_22-16-42.png

This is what should be in the syncmyride folder - you have got some missing files plus not sure what the cab file is. The msa file just tells sync not to index the USB stick - it has nothing in it .

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
No success first attempt...tried to do an auto download linking it to my house wifi, seemed to work but then the website asked for a log reference on the stick, which of course- no stick! Now the website says download available WTF... I'll try and download it to a stick!
If you connect the car via wifi it will update at Ford and show the correct downloads via the website. Don't try the update over wifi as it is 25Gb. Download will take a while even over a good wired broadband connection. Once downloaded (zip archive in my case called Map_22100639722_Update.zip) you need to open the archive and copy the exact files and folders to an ExFAT formatted USB stick. Use something like WinRAR so as not to damage any of the files. You should end up with two files, DONTINDX.MSA and autoinstall.lst plus the syncmyride folder containing the files in the screen grab on the post before. If you don't have these exact files and folders then the update will not work. There is no xml file generated by the map update.

I suspect you have either an incomplete download or the Mac is messing with the zip archive

Oh and don't have any other USB devices connected when you do the update

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well I can't even unzip the downloaded file on my MacBook. Tried 3 different apps and all give error messages. Even re-downloaded the file to make sure, but no joy!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
How big is your original downloaded file and what is it called ?

I have just put my Mustang VIN in and the file it is offering is not a full map update. You need to look in Sync in your car and see what map version you have in the settings. F7 is the latest. If you are not on F7 you will need another VIN from another car to download the maps (they are generic).

Sponsored

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
I updated mine the other day. The download consisted of the 3 files as above, although I had 5 tar.gz files in the syncmyride folder. Loaded onto 32gb exfat stick and plugged into the dash usb slot. All went according to instructions, including the timings, except for the last bit where the pop up says you can remove the stick but the instructions say don't.

The maps were updated to F8, checked a couple of new roads that weren't there before. I didn't get the syncmyride confirmation file though.

I updated Sync 3 quite a few months ago and got a confirmation file for that. The web site tells me I'm up to date with the software and only gave me the choice to download the maps.

Has anyone managed to get a confirmation file for just the maps?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I updated mine the other day. The download consisted of the 3 files as above, although I had 5 tar.gz files in the syncmyride folder. Loaded onto 32gb exfat stick and plugged into the dash usb slot. All went according to instructions, including the timings, except for the last bit where the pop up says you can remove the stick but the instructions say don't.

The maps were updated to F8, checked a couple of new roads that weren't there before. I didn't get the syncmyride confirmation file though.

I updated Sync 3 quite a few months ago and got a confirmation file for that. The web site tells me I'm up to date with the software and only gave me the choice to download the maps.

Has anyone managed to get a confirmation file for just the maps?
As per above posts it will not generate an xml confirmation file with the map updates

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
Tried to do mine over the weekend. Started yesterday, failed. Told me I had to download again. So I reformated the stick and copied the files again. Pluged it in this morning and it told me again that I had to download the files. On country broadband 25gb is mission so I'll try again in the week.

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Yep same for me , mine is version 7 and needs a map update but I don’t think Ford have the right stuff to download from 7 to 8

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Update on the xml file creation - apparently the F7 and early F8 map downloads from Ford did not contain the final bit of code to create the xml file. It is possible to carry out this final step on it's own using a custom installation from a Dutch website but the new F8 maps download does now contain the final step. Looking at the latest download I can see where this stage happens so it does seem to be correct.

The next problem seems to be getting the F8 maps download from the ford website for Mustangs. I don't get my car until 1st March so can't tell you what version of sync or maps I have but my VIN on the Ford website is saying my Sync is up to date but offering a fairly small 'maps' download as per Flamesey above. This is NOT a full maps download and is only a small update of some sort. I have downloaded F8 maps using my wife's Kuga VIN (the files are generic) so will see what happens when I try the update using that.

There is some more useful information here as well: https://s550.guru/how-to-update-ford-sync-3-navigation-maps-europe-f8-2018/

There is also a generic F8 maps download link if you want to use it and avoid the Ford download issue

Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Yep I’ve just tried an auto download sitting outside my house on WiFi and it doesn’t show the small map update at all. Think I’ll leave it a couple of months and try again or see if the dealer can do it at 10k as I’ve got about 5k on the clock now

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Well I can't even unzip the downloaded file on my MacBook. Tried 3 different apps and all give error messages. Even re-downloaded the file to make sure, but no joy!
The same here but using Windows. I have downloaded the file on three seaparate computers and used three different extraction applications but it flatly refuses to unzip. Ford software needs some serious improvement.

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The same here but using Windows. I have downloaded the file on three seaparate computers and used three different extraction applications but it flatly refuses to unzip. Ford software needs some serious improvement.
Yep I has to download a free app on my iMac and I did open the stuff but funnily enough it opened more than the same on my work windows laptop .... but neither worked

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
No trouble here - I would suggest using WinRAR. The small download isn't the maps.

Use the download from here if you just want the maps https://s550.guru/how-to-update-ford-sync-3-navigation-maps-europe-f8-2018/ about half way down the page there is a link if you can't or don't want to use the Ford link
Sponsored