Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
That might be a good option for you.
Definitely a more beefier reverse lockout, but still plastic material. The ball is steel, and so I would imagine less play. But the price of this is the same as getting a new Barton shifter, and MGW is slightly more.

If this was $100 part, I would install it, but at $398, what is Ford thinking? This should come stock on all GT350 IMO.

Also, you live in Cave Creek, AZ? I lived in Scottdale before I moved out. Lived in Tempe, Chandler, PHoenix, and Scottsdale. Also, a good friend of mine used to have a store called Sounds Like Music. They closed their doors 10+ years ago, but I know cave creek well as he used to live there.

I hope to get back to AZ. An awesome place.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my recall notice letter yesterday.. this is disturbing news... although I've not had any issues so far, but not driving it aggressively either. Apparently the part they are replacing does fix the issue. I personally went with a barton when I had my 2016 GT..
I personally didn't like it.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my recall notice letter yesterday.. this is disturbing news... although I've not had any issues so far, but not driving it aggressively either. Apparently the part they are replacing does fix the issue. I personally went with a barton when I had my 2016 GT..
I personally didn't like it.
Maybe I will try out the MGW shifter then. I would like to see what change they did to the part to fix this. But the plastic ball on the original shift knob is unacceptable IMO. For that alone, I could not stay with the stock shifter. Either FP short throw which seems to be more work, than just replacing the whole unit with MGW, or the MGW itself if Barton isn't good option.

Plus, I don't think those mechanics at Ford will do a good job and as thorough as I want them to. Will probably put a lot more rattling noise into the car with shotty reinstall of the middle console. I think they offered cash refund if you get it done from someone else.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase

Barton Shifter install video.

With BArton, you don't have to lower your transmission. Unlike MGW.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
That is NOT true. Look at the 4:30 mark in the video you linked. They (Barton) say and show lowering the tail of the transmission down to gain access for removal/installation of the shifter. You do exactly the same thing when installing an MGW shifter.

On edit....you won't see a difference between the original shifters and this new service shifter. All Ford did was to address tolerances at the collar. In other words, it is the same poor design as it originally was. The materials used aren't necessarily bad but rather the design and how they are used is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just to follow up on my reply regarding the Barton Shifter. The reason I didn't care for it was
#1 it was too stiff.... I did have both springs in and could have taken a set out, but it was too much of a mechanical/notchy shifter for me. Might be a personal preference.
#2- It would lock me out of 1st to 2nd if doing an agressive shift. There is an adjustment for this as well, but I could never get it adjusted correctly.
On my 17 vert I decided to keep the stock shifter and just replace the bracket bushing with the steeda model.... that was perfect for me... took away all the marshmallow slop, but didn't tighten up the shifter so much that it felt like a bolt action rifle. Once again, some guys like that feel, I don't. The transmount blowfish bracket would work as well. But those are solutions for the GT; I don't think they have those for the 350.
The GT350 shifter for me is a perfect balance between the two and unless I do consistent track days and really get into it, it should be more than enough for spirited driving and street.
I'm inclined to leave my car stock (no after market shifter, no tune, no resonator delete, etc etc...

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
That is NOT true. Look at the 4:30 mark in the video you linked. They (Barton) say and show lowering the tail of the transmission down to gain access for removal/installation of the shifter. You do exactly the same thing when installing an MGW shifter.

On edit....you won't see a difference between the original shifters and this new service shifter. All Ford did was to address tolerances at the collar. In other words, it is the same poor design as it originally was. The materials used aren't necessarily bad but rather the design and how they are used is.
I just ordered the MGW shifter today. If I am going to go through all fo this for a replacement shifter, it mine as well be for a crisp and great shifter. I do feel the original shifter from Ford has too much play and loose tolerance.

Check out the installation instruction from Ford if anyone feels like doing this.

Attachments

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Man has changing a shifter become a PITA on new mustangs. I can change out a shifter on my Terminator in 20 minutes

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Man has changing a shifter become a PITA on new mustangs. I can change out a shifter on my Terminator in 20 minutes
Wow - that's quick. Different animal now. Took me half a day... taking my time and getting it perfect.

QWKVUDU23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP - 2019 GT350R - 2018 Raptor
I did a canyon run yesterday and my reverse lockout gave out, you really have to search to find first gear....drive home sucked. Back into the shop it goes after a flat last week. 19 R with 1500 miles.

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I can't believe all the BS about this problem. The supplier made a bad batch of shifters that affected a given number of cars produced from 2019 to present. They are fixing it for free and your car will be just fine afterwards. It is not a big deal and any trained or untrained monkey can fix it. For Pete's sake, trust in someone in your life.

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I haven't read this thread but my 19 was built Feb 26th and was released with the first batch of cars before the steering wheel shortage/shifter issue. It was delivered April 3rd without the dealer or Ford saying anything, and I haven't noticed any issues with the shifter I can think of going into first or reverse so I will most likely just ignore this service notice.

QWKVUDU23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP - 2019 GT350R - 2018 Raptor
I haven't read this thread but my 19 was built Feb 26th and was released with the first batch of cars before the steering wheel shortage/shifter issue. It was delivered April 3rd without the dealer or Ford saying anything, and I haven't noticed any issues with the shifter I can think of going into first or reverse so I will most likely just ignore this service notice.
Mine was built in May of 19, I assumed because my build was a little later and didn't get delayed during shipping that mine was not affected. I wish I would have told them to fix the issue when I had it in for its first service last week, because being almost 100 miles away from home driving through Los Angeles traffic was not fun. Reverse and 1st gear were 2mm apart, thank god when it first happened I seen my backup camera come on or I would have most likely reversed pretty hard into another 350R. Should be a quick fix, but just my opinion on putting it off if your vehicle is affected.

Roy_350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 Edge ST, 2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Failed during a backroad blitz this weekend, lucky I didn't get into a place I needed reverse!

Details
3/19 build date
FP Short throw shifter installed by dealer
Also completed the Auto Fanatic rattle/buzz "upgrade"
5,9XX miles on the clock

Ordered Raceseng lockout.

7552E3FA-7A57-4386-98ED-A3605D9FC379_1_201_a.jpeg

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Sorry to dig this up - how do you like the Raceseng lockout? Did you get a matching shift knob, or a knob from elsewhere?

I broke the reverse lockout hardware installing a shift knob, and need to get it replaced. The RaceSeng isn't a bad price, so long as I can use the Billetworkz knob I just bought...

Also, great color combo :)

Failed during a backroad blitz this weekend, lucky I didn't get into a place I needed reverse!

Details
3/19 build date
FP Short throw shifter installed by dealer
Also completed the Auto Fanatic rattle/buzz "upgrade"
5,9XX miles on the clock

Ordered Raceseng lockout.

7552E3FA-7A57-4386-98ED-A3605D9FC379_1_201_a.jpeg
Sponsored