JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
What video? This is not plastic unless you are talking about the reverse lockout piece.
20200228_135755.jpg
Yes the reverse lock out piece. That is what everyone is complaining about. And that is what I got the recall about. How did they fix that? Did they replace it with a metal part? The plastic lockout is a big issue when you slam it hard during track days.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Also, watch that video. And you will know what I am talking about. The lockout piece is not stable.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
It is the same shifter that has been used since 2015. There was a quality problem in a batch of them and it has been rectified. If you have a problem with the plastic reverse lookout spend the $500 on an aftermarket.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
It is the same shifter that has been used since 2015. There was a quality problem in a batch of them and it has been rectified. If you have a problem with the plastic reverse lookout spend the $500 on an aftermarket.
How did they rectify it? Mine is 2019. If they rectified it, why after 4 years of it being out, are they asking me to bring the car in to replace it? And what is the new part made of? Is it any different? That is what I want to know. Thanks

Sponsored

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase

Also a few times, I missed going into first gear and one time it pop'd back out from first and wa slight grind sound. I was thinking it was my shifting, but after reading about this issue and the recall notice, I am now convinced it is this issue that isn't making positive enough shifts under a more forceful shifting period.

This alone is making me thinking about replacing the entire shifter. Also, the ball used in the shifter itself is plastic vs. metal.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I have 150 miles on my '19 and just developed an issue with the lock out: You can definitely tell it's there, but with just a little bit of extra push it clicks past all the way to the left. Several times now it has gone all the way over when I pull it to the left to go into first, so I kind of have to baby it over. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
Have you ever had situation where it didnt engage into first and grinded the gears slightly? It happened to me a few times and I thought it was my shifting, but now I am convinced it was this issue. I got a recall notice from Ford about this, and it doesn't lock into gear as crisply and positively like I have heard MGW or Barton's do.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The picture in my post is the replacement shifter used in this FSA. The reverse lockout mechanism is plastic. I don't think we will ever find out what is different with this shifter. If you are uncomfortable with the plastic reverse lockout you need to go aftermarket.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
The picture in my post is the replacement shifter used in this FSA. The reverse lockout mechanism is plastic. I don't think we will ever find out what is different with this shifter. If you are uncomfortable with the plastic reverse lockout you need to go aftermarket.
What did they do to the reverse lockout to fix the old issue? That is what I would like to know. Did they use better material for the reverse lockout piece? I ask this, because I don't want to waste my time bringing it into the Ford dealer to have them work on this portion if all they are going to do is replace it with another plastic part.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What did they do to the reverse lockout to fix the old issue?
We will never find out. I had both the old and new shifter side by side and there were no differences in looking at them.

Sponsored

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I really don't trust the dealer to fix anything on the GT350. I even do my own oil change, replace the pads to Extreme Z series to cut down on all the brake dust, and stops just as good.

BTW, if anyone who reads this don't know. Replace the plastic oil drain plug every time you change the oil. Recommended to do this.

Also, most recently I changed out to all Steeda suspension support parts like support brace, vertical links, front and rear sway bar links, front GTRAC brace, etc.

The car is a whole different car after this when I took it around the track. I was floored by the handling for all under $1k in parts.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
We will never find out. I had both the old and new shifter side by side and there were no differences in looking at them.
Hmm, I wonder why they sent me the ford notice today... I will call ford and ask for the part so I can inspect it myself. If it is the same ole plastic, I am not going to bother with it. I will just replace the whole thing with MGW or Barton shifter. I am leaning barton as it preserves the reverse lockout function like the stock.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, I wonder why they sent me the ford notice today... I will call ford and ask for the part so I can inspect it myself.
I just told you they are physical the same I had them side by side.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
What about this Ford's short throw shifter with a new reverse lockout? anyone have experience with it?

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That might be a good option for you.
Sponsored