Sponsored

Issue with GT350 reverse lock out?

blueboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Dealer is telling my '19 R is being held by Ford for an issue with reverse lock out.

Anyone in the same situation?

Anyone heard of this specifically for a 350?
Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Interesting. I have 150 miles on my '19 and just developed an issue with the lock out: You can definitely tell it's there, but with just a little bit of extra push it clicks past all the way to the left. Several times now it has gone all the way over when I pull it to the left to go into first, so I kind of have to baby it over. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

OP
OP

blueboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This situation has been verified by Ford.

My car has been sitting for going on a month waiting for Ford to lumber over to the transfer location and fix the car before shipping to the dealer.

Why they do not ship to the dealer to remediate the issue is beyond reason.

Ford - you need to refocus your attention on customer service and loyalty.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R

My car has been sitting for going on a month waiting for Ford to lumber over to the transfer location and fix the car before shipping to the dealer.

Same here and ditto

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I've determined the issue with mine:

With considerable force, you can pull the shifter up and also push it down. I must have pulled it up a bit on an aggressive 1>2 shift, which in turn is also pulling the reverse lock out up, so I can go into reverse without pulling on the ring.

So, I sort of lightly pounded on the shift knob with my fist and pushed it down, and I pushed it far enough that even pulling up on the ring wouldn't disengage the lockout, so then I couldn't get it into reverse at all. The throw of the shift was extremely short.

I was then able to pull the shifter back up and then lightly smacked it down into a position where the lockout works as intended.

I would like to get this into its proper position and lock it down, but I don't really want to take it to a dealer even though it is in warranty... arg.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Some folks here may advise you not to take it to the dealer in fear of them putting it back on rail and parking it in some obscure lot in Flat Rock, MI.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
It might even go to the dreaded "OFF SITE" black hole.

ScottieDoo05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

I'm curious, you said it was verified by Ford, who did you get into contact with? I've called Ford Performance, talked to my dealership, called Ford Customer Service, no one could tell me anything other than what their computer says. I totally agree, ship it to the dealer and have them fix it. I wonder how many crews or people they have going around to fix these 350's. I'm in the same boat, mine's been sitting since 5/24.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I explained this shifter issue long ago. It is a dirt cheap semi-remote design, originally used on older Camaros and was morphed into GT350 use by former GM engineers that reworked it for TR3160/GT350 use.

I filmed George from MGW pointing out the lockout issue on a GT350 TR3160.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Sounds like the issue is not going into First but failing and going into reverse instead of first

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sounds like the issue is not going into First but failing and going into reverse instead of first
I installed my MGW and adjusted the first gear alignment screw, and what I took away from the experience is that there's an internal "gate" for each fore-aft gear set. If you line the shift lever up between the gates then the lever is blocked from moving and you're stuck in neutral.

What we're seeing in the video is that with the stock shifter, you can actually move the shift lever far enough to the left to hit the gate between first and reverse, so it won't go into either gear. The shift lever's reverse lockout fence stops it from going into reverse, but the lever is so far to the left that it won't go into first any more either.

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my MGW and adjusted the first gear alignment screw, and what I took away from the experience is that there's an internal "gate" for each fore-aft gear set. If you line the shift lever up between the gates then the lever is blocked from moving and you're stuck in neutral.

What we're seeing in the video is that with the stock shifter, you can actually move the shift lever far enough to the left to hit the gate between first and reverse, so it won't go into either gear. The shift lever's reverse lockout fence stops it from going into reverse, but the lever is so far to the left that it won't go into first any more either.

Is there an aftermarket part that can replace the stock one made of plastic? I think that may fix this whole situation. i did receive a recall notice from Ford. I wonder if they have a metal version or just a redesigned plastic. Or maybe put on a Barton shifter and be done with it.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
stock one made of plastic
I don't know why you think the stock shifter is plastic. I just changed my stock shifter and there is no plastic parts on it.