Sponsored

Is Traction Control Slowing Me Down????

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
Don't get me wrong, I love everything about this car! I'm just not used to driving a car with this combination of Traction Control and Horse Power. It really feels sluggish when the limiters kick in. I'm used to old school, control wheel spin with your foot, add a little counter steer, and get back on it!!! Even in Track Mode, it feels to me that it holds back too much? Maybe I just need to get used to it? Do I have enough of the controls shut off in Track Mode? Is there a way to shut everything down.....????
Sponsored

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
Don't get me wrong, I love everything about this car! I'm just not used to driving a car with this combination of Traction Control and Horse Power. It really feels sluggish when the limiters kick in. I'm used to old school, control wheel spin with your foot, add a little counter steer, and get back on it!!! Even in Track Mode, it feels to me that it holds back too much? Maybe I just need to get used to it? Do I have enough of the controls shut off in Track Mode? Is there a way to shut everything down.....????
Turn the nannies off.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I have tracked my car on track mode. I never felt the assist from traction control. where you on the track when this happens? My 15 GT/PP in sport mode definitely kicked in quite a bit due to less body control. Maybe you are introducing the assist. what I mean is, smoother transitions from braking, throttle and turning would keep the car from trying to help. If you are on a track with no other cars, go for it! turn it all off. But do so at your own risk! This theory has been tested quite a bit. Even Randy Pobst from MT verified he was faster with TC on than TC off. He was working a lot harder to go faster and making corrections that were slowing him down.

http://www.randypobst.com/index.cfm?template=magazine&mag_id=17512

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Yes, traction control will slow you down. Slight wheel slip it's already engaging cutting some power. Put it in track or turn everything off and your good to go.

OP
OP
84venom

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have tracked my car on track mode. I never felt the assist from traction control. where you on the track when this happens? My 15 GT/PP in sport mode definitely kicked in quite a bit due to less body control. Maybe you are introducing the assist. what I mean is, smoother transitions from braking, throttle and turning would keep the car from trying to help. If you are on a track with no other cars, go for it! turn it all off. But do so at your own risk! This theory has been tested quite a bit. Even Randy Pobst from MT verified he was faster with TC on than TC off. He was working a lot harder to go faster and making corrections that were slowing him down.

Haven't had it on track yet. Just trying to get it to step out a little on the street. Hard to do, even in Track Mode. I suppose the big tires and superior suspension setup help to keep in in control too....

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Easily the best advice I've read in here.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Haven't had it on track yet. Just trying to get it to step out a little on the street. Hard to do, even in Track Mode. I suppose the big tires and superior suspension setup help to keep in in control too....
If you're just messing around on the street at lower speeds, turn off traction control if you haven't by holding the button for like 10 seconds. The drive mode allowances are going to give you more play at speed, but on the street, you're going to hit ESC limits pretty easily.

jooyoung99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT350
It definitely slows me down, but it's probably because I'm not as smooth as a I should be. Don't be afraid to turn it off. It's easy to control the car at the limit.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Call me crazy, but im not connecting the dots between trying to get it to step out on the street and "slowing you down". If you just want to hoon then say so :thumbsup:

Just dont become one of these guys

https://www.facebook.com/DriverModTV/videos/1076867189003439/

Last edited:

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
from what I've found its likely not slowing you down. It will allow more than a little wheel spin, unless you are triggering the STABILITY control. Most often if you are riding the traction control without going into a full burnout you are still getting a little wheel spin making the back end feel "greasy".

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The electronic nannies on the GT350 are fairly lax unless you engage weather mode. I've had the thing at least 30 degrees sideways at 50 mph when it was cold and snowy outside. I don't think you need to turn off traction control to improve your lap times.

OP
OP
84venom

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I'm just not used to having all these controls on the car. My background is with vintage racing, so big horsepower and zero controls. I miss the connection between my right foot and rear wheels. It's just not there anymore. I'm not saying the new way is bad, just way different. Even in my 2000 Cobra R, I can stand on it in first gear and make the wheels spin, not a full burnout, but controlled wheel spin. It's that seat of the pants feel that's gone away with these new cars. I'm sure that makes it faster by the clock, but it just takes a bit of the old school feel away..... Yes, krt22, I guess sometimes you just want to hoon around a bit! Again, not complaining about the car, I love it!!!.... but it truly is a different animal. Can't wait to see what kind of times I can put down on a road course!!!

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Track mode was non intrusive for my track day.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Even in track mode you can't just swing the back out around a corner though. AdvanceTrac kicks in but you can light up the tires going straight. Once you hold the traction control button for like 5-7 seconds and turn AdvanceTrac off, anything goes.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Even in track mode you can't just swing the back out around a corner though. AdvanceTrac kicks in but you can light up the tires going straight. Once you hold the traction control button for like 5-7 seconds and turn AdvanceTrac off, anything goes.
That's good to know. I haven't been at a track yet. It must have gotten so sideways for me due to extremely low traction, so things happened too quickly for the computers to compensate. Now that it's getting up into the 70s I should spend some time driving with the traction control turned down or off to see the difference.
Sponsored