Sponsored

Help a new driver! Spirited driving, traction control & sliding for a noob driver

brownisland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mini Cooper JCW, 2020 Ford Shelby GT350
Hi all, For the past 8 years I have been driving a 1.6L Mini Cooper JCW, which controls really really well.
I am brand new to RWD, V8, Cup2s, and Mustangs.

I drive like a maniac, and Mini's do not slide easily.

The other day I drove my Mustang with some spirit. and entering the freeway, (rolling left turn in 2nd gear), I slid... got sideways... NEARLY crashed like a Mustang leaving cars & coffee.

Since then, I don't really trust the traction control.. it was ON.
Are the Cup2's typically slippery?

What is the best way for me to get practice throwing my car around?
Is traction control trustworthy?
What's a better tire for street driving?
TIA
Sponsored

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
You'll learn fairy soon that gunning it in turns is a death trap for mustangs. Counter steering will be your friend and let off the accelerator when you start to turn. Wet empty parking lots you can get the car to drift pretty easily, even in my 315HP v6 my car will still drift on a dime if I'm not careful.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
tires need some heat in them to stick well... not super familiar with cup 2's, but they are sticky and fast and hold up to track heat so guessing they were just not in the ideal temp range...

OP
OP

brownisland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mini Cooper JCW, 2020 Ford Shelby GT350
Imagine how bad it would have been sans traction control...

Don't blame the car.
right, i don't blame the car. i want to tame the car... which is why i asked for HELP and identified myself as a "new driver" even though i've been driving since 2002

Sponsored

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
OP has been driving since 2002 - 19 years. Wouldn't call that a new driver. Any new vehicle should be approached with caution and given time to learn it's traits.
In terms of driving a mustang of course.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Cup2 tires do not grip below 45 F and traction is relatively poor in the rain or damp conditions. Even in warm weather the rubber still needs to heat up before maximum grip is achieved. They also tend to tramline like crazy.

If you are hard on the accelerator mid-turn you will lose traction. If the turn is off-camber you will have even less traction. Generally speaking keep constant throttle through the turn and start accelerating post apex.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Driving it in all types of weather and conditions of course. I see cars as more than wire and metal that may just be me though.
Hmmm...driving like a maniac in bad weather isn't good advice either (and does nothing to tame the car).

My advice still stands - Driver Mod.

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
Hmmm...driving like a maniac in bad weather isn't good advice either (and does nothing to tame the car).

My advice still stands - Driver Mod.
Well yes no one would advise any Mustang owner nevertheless one with a GT350 to be flooring it in rain and snow.
Sponsored