Sponsored

Is Traction Control Slowing Me Down????

Copyless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Race Red w/White OTT Stripes
controlled wheel spin. It's that seat of the pants feel that's gone away with these new cars.
What is controlled wheel spin, is that a burnout? or just laying drag? because I could understand wanting wheel spin in those circumstances. I mean there is nothing faster about a car that has the tires spinning and not hooked. I don't think there is any "seat of the pants feel" when the tires are spinning either, because the pants are sitting still or barely moving because of the wheel spin, whereas when connected or hooked there is a real "seat of the pants feel" from the G-Force. I don't know, but I do know if I was on a dragstrip or even street racing, I would love the person next to me to have when spin.
Sponsored

hal_farthead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT350 - Tech pkg
I drove an autocross with my Tech Pack car last weekend - and besides having a blast(!) - I did have the Advance Trac cut power on me a couple of times. Even after I got brave enough to put it in Track mode. May not need to turn it off at the track, but I think I would have been faster without it at the autocross (quicker transitions and overall more violent inputs).

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Bumping this as I get faster the traction control is on quite often. I think I will turn it off and get used to it this way. For reference I have knocked 5 seconds of on my local track.

Its particularly intrusive when you are tracking out it will give you a little but tends to cut some power.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
... I'm just not used to driving a car with this combination of Traction Control and Horse Power. It really feels sluggish when the limiters kick in. I'm used to old school ...
I noticed the same thing with my '12, '13, and '16 Mustang GT's. Two quick points:

1) I owned many new Fox body GT's back in the day (and if memory serves) the newer GT's have lost much of the "visceral" feeling those older V8 Stangs had.

2) The older GT's only made 157-210 hp, so the potential for losing control was significantly less than that of a 400+ hp car.

Bottom Line:
We have Advance Trac because most of the time, the car really needs it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I noticed the same thing with my '12, '13, and '16 Mustang GT's. Two quick points:

1) I owned many new Fox body GT's back in the day (and if memory serves) the newer GT's have lost much of the "visceral" feeling those older V8 Stangs had.

2) The older GT's only made 157-210 hp, so the potential for losing control was significantly less than that of a 400+ hp car.

Bottom Line:
We have Advance Trac because most of the time, the car really needs it.
The Fox body GTs had really poor suspension and brakes and they were lighter. When you have poor control the car feels faster even though it would get walked by a new Camry.

The ~2011 SRA Mustang GTs also had much more aggressive advancetrac that would cut a lot of power for a long time. The GT350 will cut power in certain situations, but it's a lot less intrusive IMO.

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
The Fox body GTs had really poor suspension and brakes and they were lighter. When you have poor control the car feels faster even though it would get walked by a new Camry.
My '85 GT had very good suspension for the time. And as there were no 2017 Camry's for it to race back in 1985, it's an automatic win for the Stang.

The ~2011 SRA Mustang GTs also had much more aggressive advancetrac that would cut a lot of power for a long time.
2011, enter the Coyote engine.

As I said, 400+ hp cars have more intrusive nannies because they need it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My '85 GT had very good suspension for the time. And as there were no 2017 Camry's for it to race back in 1985, it's an automatic win for the Stang.
We can agree to disagree about the quadrabind rear 4 link. I will agree with you that a stock '85 GT was "80s fast".

2011, enter the Coyote engine.

As I said, 400+ hp cars have more intrusive nannies because they need it.
I guess I was unclear. I was trying to say that the 2011 GT I owned in the past had more intrusive nannies than the 2015 GT I owned after it and the 2016 GT350 that I own now. That is why I brought up the SRA, but I don't think the SRA is really to blame. I think the Advancetrac technology has advanced quickly between 2011 and now.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
We can agree to disagree about the quadrabind rear 4 link. I will agree with you that a stock '85 GT was "80s fast".
Actually, professional testing conducted by Car & Driver also disagrees with you:

Car & Driver January 1985 Issue
Road Test: 1985 Ford Mustang GT

• "The ride is disciplined."
  • "The real axle is sufficiently stabilized that it doesn't launch you in surprising directions."
  • "The rear suspension is good."
  • "Gas-filled shock absorbers are used vertically, and an extra set of horizontal shocks damps axle movements on windup direction. This is a tremendous advance for a live-axle car."
  • "In some ways, the Mustang GT now outhandles the real Germans. Overall, the Mustang GT can hold it's own."
Settled. Have a nice day.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I had both my track days this year in heavy rain, and with car in track mode, it was perfect. I never felt it correcting me, but I learned to love tracking on rain... Just gotta know the limits.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I believe the TC light on the dash flashes/illuminates when it is triggered.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Have tracked the car many times in track mode, and feel if the nannies engaged is due to me being too aggressive, I use the nannies to improve my skills, if they engage I change for next time. Now it almost never engages
I would say yes but tracking out of a corner I dunno If I have more track I dont mind some rotation the issue I have is once you hit a limit (to me it actually feels time based) the car pulls power and stops me powering out of the corner

Some times I am being overly aggressive and it stops a spin but most of the time I am not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Actually, professional testing conducted by Car & Driver also disagrees with you:

Car & Driver January 1985 Issue
Road Test: 1985 Ford Mustang GT

• "The ride is disciplined."
  • "The real axle is sufficiently stabilized that it doesn't launch you in surprising directions."
  • "The rear suspension is good."
  • "Gas-filled shock absorbers are used vertically, and an extra set of horizontal shocks damps axle movements on windup direction. This is a tremendous advance for a live-axle car."
  • "In some ways, the Mustang GT now outhandles the real Germans. Overall, the Mustang GT can hold it's own."
Settled. Have a nice day.
Maybe that settles it for you. I would say I also disagree with C&D about the 1985 Mustang suspension setup.

"outhandles the real Germans"?? A stock '85 Mustang?? Laughable. :lol:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You guys are funny. When you are spinning, you are already slow PERIOD. Traction control and stability control just shows how slow you are without you losing control of the car.
No the nannies are not slowing you down, it merely shows how slow you are.
Sponsored