Is this something new... IRS damper?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
So last night I was under the car and noticed this heavy metal plate flopping around on the passenger side rear IRS bushing. I have seen 100's of pictures of IRS cradles and never saw this. What concerns me is how it just flops around like it's ready to fall off. Is that normal? What exactly is it? What does it do and how does it do what-ever it is it does? Attached video.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MikeDawg5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
It’s a NVH damper for the diff. I removed it when installing the Steeda diff inserts.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Should there only be 1? I was just installing my H-Pipe and noticed it under there and there was only one on the pass side, thought maybe I lost one or forgot to install it after my Steeda parts.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Should there only be 1? I was just installing my H-Pipe and noticed it under there and there was only one on the pass side, thought maybe I lost one or forgot to install it after my Steeda parts.
Only one. You did not lose anything.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Good to know, I was puzzled by there only being one and thought I had lost it. Thanks for confirming.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
The 15-17 GTs didn't have them, but certain Ecoboosts did (manuals, maybe?). Interesting that the GTs have them now, too.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks for the info. I was thinking it was some kind of weight for balance or something. It's just an odd part. Does this also help reduce wheel hop in some way? I have not experienced any wheel hop in my car at all. It either hooks and goes or spins a little and then hooks. No hop. Track mode, warm tires, launching from a standstill, no hop, just some rear end wiggle as the tires lose traction.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
It's to help eliminate NVH from the diff. The bolt you can see is what holds one side of the rear of the diff to the subframe.
Sponsored