NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Trying for some late night garage time, thought I would have an hour or less installing Steeda IRS braces, I've been reading nothing but positive reviews and couldn't wait to get them in. My mission hit a snag however. I started on the driver side, and after getting under there and seeing what I was up against, I thought this would take about 20 minutes. Joke is on me apparently. After attempting to follow the very simple, easy to follow instructions, there was no way to get both front hex bolts in at the same time. Surely I just had it misaligned or something. Twenty minutes and all the sweat I had left in me, I quit for the night, defeated. Back in the house, I reviewed the instructions again, looked at diagrams, read a hundred reviews looking for anything that hinted at similar problems. I found nothing. I couldn't take it, had to go back to the garage and see if after a break I would see what I was doing wrong and laugh. Nope. I laid the two braces side by side, and there it was. Looking at both sides of the car, it can't be intentional. The slots on the driver's side brace are much smaller than the passenger side, just enough that I can't bolt it on. Anyone else experience this? Now it's either the hassle if returning or drilling myself, I assume...
20180811_230542.jpg
Sponsored

Bowen_Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had the same issue and just had to drill one of the holes slightly larger.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The trick is to leave the front IRS blue bolts loose temporarily so that the support bracket that you screw the middle bolt to is loose and able to be moved easily (keep IRS subframe jacked up). Then line up the subframe brace to each hole. You'll find that you adjust that IRS subframe bracket a little to get the Steeda brace lined up best. Then lower the Steeda brace, impact/torque the IRS subframe back up holding that subframe bracket in the exact same place you had it, then install the Steeda brace again. You still may need to pry the Steeda brace a little, but doing this has eliminated 100% of the need to make the bolt hole bigger in installations I've done.

OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
The trick is to leave the front IRS blue bolts loose temporarily so that the support bracket that you screw the middle bolt to is loose and able to be moved easily (keep IRS subframe jacked up). Then line up the subframe brace to each hole. You'll find that you adjust that IRS subframe bracket a little to get the Steeda brace lined up best. Then lower the Steeda brace, impact/torque the IRS subframe back up holding that subframe bracket in the exact same place you had it, then install the Steeda brace again. You still may need to pry the Steeda brace a little, but doing this has eliminated 100% of the need to make the bolt hole bigger in installations I've done.
Thanks for the input. I did try prying and all possible combinations of which bolts went first and how loose/tight, but unless that front bracket somehow stretches it isn't working. It's at least a quarter inch off which sends the bolt in diagonally. I'm really impatient, I'm sure I'm be out there drilling here in a minute when my coffee kicks in.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, just take a stepper/uni-bit to it.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Are all the other bolts loose when you are trying to line up the front? Have to tried lining up the front first, then going back?

OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input. I did try prying and all possible combinations of which bolts went first and how loose/tight, but unless that front bracket somehow stretches it isn't working. It's at least a quarter inch off which sends the bolt in diagonally. I'm really impatient, I'm sure I'm be out there drilling here in a minute when my coffee kicks in.
Correction, a little over an 1/8" off. Going to see if I can hit it with a burr.

OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Are all the other bolts loose when you are trying to line up the front? Have to tried lining up the front first, then going back?
I have, the problem is that the front, regardless of the others being in, out, half way, ect, still isn't wide enough. The other side is on and took 5 minutes. Can't wait to get them on, other than the holes being a little short these things look beefy!

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Either the slots on the driver's side brace were too close together, or the holes in my chassis were too far apart. I tried every combination of starting/loosening bolts and jacking and prying, finally just took a drill bit to the slots, and after that the job was done in about 10 minutes.

OP
OP
NIXPP2

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
They are on, I burred the holes a little and it went on in seconds. Just drove the kids to a birthday party, unfortunately it was just down the street. Even pulling out of the driveway it felt stiffer, however. That little shimmy I felt from driveway to road was gone.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the group for jumping in ... looks like you finally got it situated.

Let us know if we can help assist further - put some miles on it & let us know how it all goes :)

TJ

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the group for jumping in ... looks like you finally got it situated.

Let us know if we can help assist further - put some miles on it & let us know how it all goes :)

TJ
Is this inconsistency in parts and the way they are being sent out not a concern?

We shouldn't have to modify parts that do not call out same by their manufacturer during install.

IE having to cut spacers on the extreme G trac braces to fit in the frame and now this issue brought to light.

I am a huge supporter of Steeda and my car is loaded with Steeda parts. Please keep the quality in line with the prices though. If we wanted cheap garbage look a likes we can order them at AM much cheaper.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

TJ
Is this inconsistency in parts and the way they are being sent out not a concern?

We shouldn't have to modify parts that do not call out same by their manufacturer during install.

IE having to cut spacers on the extreme G trac braces to fit in the frame and now this issue brought to light.

I am a huge supporter of Steeda and my car is loaded with Steeda parts. Please keep the quality in line with the prices though. If we wanted cheap garbage look a likes we can order them at AM much cheaper.

Geez... the poor guy posted pics of the OBVIOUS manufacturing inconsistentices in the parts and all Steeda responds with is the quote above, REALLY??

Plus, you have OTHER concerned members posting THEY TOO had issues with the same braces and have to grind or drill out the inconsistent bracketry holes but that is of no concern either.... wow.

There’s an OBVIOUS problem. So please explain why buying a brand new manufactured part that should be going through quality control is being sent to consumers with the issue at hand? Sure, grinding, drilling or making the holes larger is not such an issue and probably “no big deal”, but cmon, you’re a major player in the Mustang aftermarket and these parts should not require folks having to modify it in anyway once received.

Disappointed.... and I’ve bought and have Steeda parts for many of my past Mustangs, as well as those still on my 94 Cobra and touted your parts for years over on Corral.net... sorry if you don’t like my reply here, but honestly, that’s no way to respond by blowing off the concern.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
@tj@steeda ... why aren't the holes the same size on both braces if the same sized bolts are used on both sides? Is there a reason ... is it per drawing? Or is manufacturing not making the braces per drawing?

I have an older set of these IRS braces still in the box (soon to go on), and both sides have the same sized slotted holes - and no Steeda logo cut into the bracket. Seems Steeda has changed the design since I bought mine.

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I was not overlooking the aforementioned problem the OP and others have indicated ... last night, I sent this thread to our head of manufacturing alerting him.

These fitment issues are not typical and most are from the subframe not being square from the factory.

I am not going to speak off-the-cuff until I know more after spreading to manufacturing.

I am working with the team on the backend to ensure everyone is aware and I will have to work with manufacturing to provide follow up details and support.

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored