Sponsored

Is this power achievable with this build ?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Update: Found TWO gas stations that sell E85!! around 7-15miles away from my house. Not bad in my opinion so might be in luck!

Just need to figure out a way to install the SC and have a tunes for 91 and E85 that i can switch back and forth from when E85 becomes inaccessible.
Awesome find on the e. Just make sure you have the supporting fuel system to run it. Also most hand held tuning devices allow you to store multiple tunes and can swap out as needed.

NavyMAC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Update: Found TWO gas stations that sell E85!! around 7-15miles away from my house. Not bad in my opinion so might be in luck!

Just need to figure out a way to install the SC and have a tunes for 91 and E85 that i can switch back and forth from when E85 becomes inaccessible.
That’s what I have, I use an nGuage and can switch between the 93 and E85 tunes.

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
When you say “Build” I hope you are including upgrading your drivetrain to handle the power. Gets expensive pretty quickly and breaking stuff even more so

OP
OP
seely

seely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
seedy
Vehicle(s)
none
Awesome find on the e. Just make sure you have the supporting fuel system to run it. Also most hand held tuning devices allow you to store multiple tunes and can swap out as needed.
Do you have any pointers to a similar and compatible fuel setup ? I thought the fuel injectors, rails and pump would be compatible with e85 but im learning no.. either way would be interested in hearing a common setup or point me in the right direction.

Sponsored

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
Yes. I am currently using a Fore return system (dual pump) with 1050 injectors that work very nicely with e-85 on my car (parts purchased from Beefcake). I am running more power than what you are after but those parts will work well for you too. Also, suggest you test your local e-85 to determine what you have. It can/will change from Summer and Winter blends in some states. I am fortunate here in Texas to have e-90 at the pump year round. I do test periodically to be safe however.

Lethal also has a fairly nice return system which is comparable to Fore's imo. As a side, I have never used my 93 tune once I went e-85; however, my car only comes out on the weekend. Your situation may be entirely different.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any pointers to a similar and compatible fuel setup ? I thought the fuel injectors, rails and pump would be compatible with e85 but im learning no.. either way would be interested in hearing a common setup or point me in the right direction.
You would be fine NA but boosted is a different story. Return style (Fore/Lethal) with dual pump and some ID1050s will get you to where you want to be. Agree with the statement to test your local e as well to see what you are working with.

OP
OP
seely

seely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
seedy
Vehicle(s)
none
Yes. I am currently using a Fore return system (dual pump) with 1050 injectors that work very nicely with e-85 on my car (parts purchased from Beefcake). I am running more power than what you are after but those parts will work well for you too. Also, suggest you test your local e-85 to determine what you have. It can/will change from Summer and Winter blends in some states. I am fortunate here in Texas to have e-90 at the pump year round. I do test periodically to be safe however.

Lethal also has a fairly nice return system which is comparable to Fore's imo. As a side, I have never used my 93 tune once I went e-85; however, my car only comes out on the weekend. Your situation may be entirely different.
Basically anything thats "E85" compatible. Is it the flow or the material of the part?

What do you mean by test?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Basically anything thats "E85" compatible. Is it the flow or the material of the part?

What do you mean by test?
both
test the percentage of ethanol in the fuel before you pump it into your car

Sponsored
OP
OP
seely

seely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
seedy
Vehicle(s)
none
@TRP45ACP @engineermike I'm starting to feel skeptical on whether E85 is going to be what i'm looking for..

Its more expensive to support but mostly it will be putting me in the higher HP where I don't want to be. Like I said I want to be running 620-700 RWHP at the max or whatever the drivetrain can support.

Can I get a tune for E85 to keep me in the range I want?

Would it be cheaper in terms of engine build, to just get the car tuned for octane boosted gas? To me it seems like I could just use the fuel pump, fuel rails and injectors that come with the whipple stage 2 kit and just adjust the octane everytime i fill up. Not sure how I would accurately keep it at a perfect 93 or 95 octane whatever its tuned for every time i fill up, especially if theres left over gas in the tank. I dont mind doing it each time though.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@seely, as I see it your options for a safe 91 octane build are:
1. Whipple stage 2, but drop to the stage 1 or larger pulley. Iirc a 4.25” pulley is available that would be about 8 psi.
2. Whipple stage 2 with a custom safe tune. Most tuners won’t actually do this and the average joe has little way of verifying. If I’m tuning for 91, I’m going to limit the spark advance such that it never senses knock at wot.
3. Roush phase 2. The cam timing, lambda, and gdi system is set up to handle low octane better than the Whipple tune.

I believe any of these would break 620 rwhp.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Boosted f150 made over 800 on 93 octane using extreme di pump. IDK all the details but it seems like it may be relevant to this thread

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I ran one tank of 93 when I went boosted for logs, actually not even I drained it when the logs were done. So I might not be a great reference. However, on here I have seen few blown pump gas setups. Some were because they pushed to hard, but some were bad gas. All anecdotal, however I think possible. One of the great things about E is you can measure content before you put it in the tank and even monitor while in the tank. Content essentially equals octane, not directly but for safety margin it does. I don't know of a easy way to do that with gas. If you have a none good supplier (like race gas) you can probably always be sure of the octane. But at the pump I don't think you can verify. E85 is cheaper than a blown motor. You can run less boost and still run E. You don't have to run more boost and more timing.

A bigger DI pump would help, but ain't cheap and then you need a tune.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Boosted f150 made over 800 on 93 octane using extreme di pump. IDK all the details but it seems like it may be relevant to this thread
Use this information with caution. Myself, Roush, and Whipple have all done the xdi pump and all concluded the same thing - that you can run about 2 deg more timing OR 2 more psi before knock on pump gas with the xdi pump. You aren’t picking up 150 rwhp from 2 deg of timing. I don’t think we are getting the whole story on this one.
Sponsored