Sponsored

Is my oil dip stick inaccurate?

What should I do about the dipstick reading?

• Total voters

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1 with handling package
I have a 5.0 V8 (10 quarts) and I just had my 2nd oil change the other day and noticed that the oil level on the dipstick is once again just above the minimum line/hole. It was at this level when i bought the car, and after the 1st oil change.

In the past, I added almost a whole quart until the level reached the top of the hatch marks because I was worried the level would drop below minimum. Due to the consistency of the oil level on the stick after multiple oil changes, I'm wondering if my dip stick is just not accurate?

Should I fill to the max line (about 11 quarts), or leave it at the current level just above the minimum? Should I just measure the distance of the current level to max, draw a new line below the current level with that same distance, and treat that as my actual minimum line? I've never noticed any frothing or bubbles on the dipstick after filling to the max line, so I don't think I'm overfilling.
Sponsored

Rockytop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I’d add about half a quart and get it in the middle if you are worried about overfilling. I would definitely not add another line on the dipstick. As long as it’s between the top and bottom line it’s ok. If you went somewhere and had your oil changed chances are they put a little less than 10 quarts and just ship it cause it was in the cross hatch, if I had to guess. Also the distance between top and bottom line is usually a quart.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Just had mine serviced, oil appears to be 1/2 quart low.

So now we play the guessing game:

1) did the tech do his job and leave it short for profit?
2) did the tech leave it short so I could add Cera Tec?
3) am I pants shittingly scared of life and should be driving a Prius??

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Did you check it according to Fords procedure?

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Oil pan holds 10 Quarts, oil Filter about 1/2. But, I always go to max.

Richard

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Unless you physically put the oil in the car you have zero idea exactly how much oil is in it.

Why in the world would you expect the dipstick to be inaccurate? It's just like hundreds of thousands of others Ford put in Mustangs unless you think they just randomly put an odd one in a car to screw with you...

Far more likely there's barely enough oil than a faulty dipstick.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's easy to overthink this. Unless the level is way below the bottom hole or way above the top hole, there's zero things to be concerned about. This isn't a precise measuring device, "close enough" will do it. IMO The top hole is the actual maximum line, so if you have film over that hole but not above it, you're basically bang on. But anything in the cross hatch range is fine too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If the oil level on the dipstick is between the lines, don't add oil. Only add oil if it's below the bottom line. That is what the manual says to do, so there's no reason to do anything different.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I’d add about half a quart and get it in the middle if you are worried about overfilling. I would definitely not add another line on the dipstick. As long as it’s between the top and bottom line it’s ok. If you went somewhere and had your oil changed chances are they put a little less than 10 quarts and just ship it cause it was in the cross hatch, if I had to guess. Also the distance between top and bottom line is usually a quart.

Exactly - great answer

Sponsored

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
i mean, i can barely read my dip stick bc they’re impossible to read…i think i have enough. who knows. haven’t done my first change yet so i assume i’m good lol but that dipstick is godawful to read

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Someone on this group wrote "it takes 10 quarts, put in 10 quarts and be done with it". I check the dipstick as a baseline only to see if it goes down before the next oil change.

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Being a new bee to the 5.0 I made a fool of myself because I contacted the dealer after my second oil change thinking I was down a quart and vented on them…level was at the bottom mark 200 miles after oil change…I keep it between the marks now.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
had the same experience on my oil change.
ran the engine and left it for a while, no change.
added half a qt.

Oil change places in my experience will do a top off if low.
I was lucky I had some of same oil kicking around from prev. car.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
10qts of oil puts me at the middle between the hash marks. Consistent for the last 15 oil changes.
Sponsored