Interesting issue

97xj_sport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Got home from work on Friday and sat in the car while it was running looking at my phone for a few minutes until I smelled a weird burning smell and noticed greyish/off white smoke drifting past my window. Turns out as far as I can tell that it only starts doing this if you let the car idle for a few minutes, you can stand behind the car and watch as nothing happens until 2-3 minutes later the smell and smoke appear. 83k miles, ford racing tune, catted down pipe and cvf intercooler. Took it to a shop, but haven’t heard anything yet. Thanks

Edit: forgot to add that it’s not throwing any codes
Sponsored

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Grey/white smoke is normal, it's just condensation burning off in the exhaust.

Ever see a car start up first thing in the morning on a cold day?

OP
OP

97xj_sport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Grey/white smoke is normal, it's just condensation burning off in the exhaust.

Ever see a car start up first thing in the morning on a cold day?
Ha I wish that was the case. This is something going on with the internals, unfortunately.

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
Got home from work on Friday and sat in the car while it was running looking at my phone for a few minutes until I smelled a weird burning smell and noticed greyish/off white smoke drifting past my window. Turns out as far as I can tell that it only starts doing this if you let the car idle for a few minutes, you can stand behind the car and watch as nothing happens until 2-3 minutes later the smell and smoke appear. 83k miles, ford racing tune, catted down pipe and cvf intercooler. Took it to a shop, but haven’t heard anything yet. Thanks

Edit: forgot to add that it’s not throwing any codes
Oil. I have the 5.0 up it happens to me as well. Bad valve guide seals .

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Oil. I have the 5.0 up it happens to me as well. Bad valve guide seals .
Burning oil is usually blue smoke, doesn't sound like what the OP is describing.

Ha I wish that was the case. This is something going on with the internals, unfortunately.
Does it have a sweet smell to it? Could be coolant but the smell is very distinctive compared to regular exhaust smell.

OP
OP

97xj_sport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Burning oil is usually blue smoke, doesn't sound like what the OP is describing.

Does it have a sweet smell to it? Could be coolant but the smell is very distinctive compared to regular exhaust smell.
No, I think it has something to do with the ecu per a ford TSB. It smells like fumes from welding honestly

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
No, I think it has something to do with the ecu per a ford TSB. It smells like fumes from welding honestly
does the smoke linger or does it dissipate soon after exiting the exhaust?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Mine was smoking a lot, thought my headgasket was toast. Turns out it was the PCV valve, much easier fix. There was also a TSB from ford about it, so no warranty issues

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Its better to start with the easiest and obvious possibilities, do the TSB fix first I did that even though I didn't have the described issue before putting on the FP tune.

Sponsored

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Definitely the PCV valve. White/grayish smoke pluming up during idle on decel? Had the same issue crop up all of a sudden though the car had been running fine for months and wasn't throwing any codes.

Believe it's more prevalent with an aftermarket (catless) downpipe. I'm not sure how well or long the TSB address it but I fixed it by going the route of gutting the PCV valve and installing the UPR catch can: https://www.tuneplusinc.com/products/upr-dual-valve-catch-can-2015-ecoboost-mustang-smoke-fix.

Adam explains the issue in the install here:

Last edited:
OP
OP

97xj_sport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Definitely the PCV valve. White/grayish smoke pluming up during idle on decel? Had the same issue crop up all of a sudden thought the car had been running fine for months and wasn't throwing any codes.

Believe it's more prevalent with an aftermarket (catless) downpipe. I'm not sure how well or long the TSB address it but I fixed it going the route of gutting the PCV valve and installing the UPR catch can: https://www.tuneplusinc.com/products/upr-dual-valve-catch-can-2015-ecoboost-mustang-smoke-fix.

Adam explains the issue in the install here:
Very interesting. Thank you

OP
OP

97xj_sport

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Mine was smoking a lot, thought my headgasket was toast. Turns out it was the PCV valve, much easier fix. There was also a TSB from ford about it, so no warranty issues
Thanks I’ll check it out

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Honest think it’s oil. pull your plugs and check if they are wet. Also check your dip Stick. If it’s low then you’re definitely burning oil. check it once a week to see if the level is going down
Sponsored