Sponsored

Intake Air Temp Survey

Timo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Mustang GT PP
Hi all FI guys. I'm a long time mustang guy and currently have a D1SC but no fancy liquid intercooler, and even better all these electronics. I'm curious if we can compile a list of intake air temps under different conditions by different vendors? Would be curious of these measurements after a good heat soak then a recording. Would not have to be a full bore run either. I think any data points are good. Very very interested in comparing the Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush -vs- centrifugals.

1. Boost level:
2. Outside air temp:
3. Intake air temp:
4: Air/fuel ratio:
5: Other relevant parameters:
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
You mean after the intercooler? Not sure what good before intercooler IATs would be.

OP
OP

Timo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Mustang GT PP
Yes temperature of air as flowing into the heads. Not sure if there is a sensor detecting this to help calculate air density? Just really driving toward a good way to lay out intercooler efficiencies.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Timo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Mustang GT PP
Would cylinder head coolant temp be a solid way to back into it if there is no post intercooler air temp sensor?

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
The air temp reading comes from the MAF. Some or all of the centri kits might have the MAF after the intercooler, but for PD guys, we cant really contribute - we dont know! LOL.

The whipple adds an AIT to the intake manifold, but the cluster gauge still reads the MAF temperature which is hardly useful to you.

But I can tell you that my air temps pre-SC at the MAF are generally 3-5 degrees warmer than outside as long as I am moving.

OP
OP

Timo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Mustang GT PP
Any signs of detonation at all on hot days in your Whipple set-up? What air fuel ratios does you then hold at max boost, (as if that's safe to read lol). I had my 98 grenade making a pass when it was making 8 or 10 psi but those pistons were notoriously weak.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Honestly the best place is in the intake after the intercooler on a PD setup and in the intake on a centri or turbo setup. This will give you an apples to apples comparison.

My KB setup in my Z06 was an after intercooler setup. It was hot to say the least on that car.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Any signs of detonation at all on hot days in your Whipple set-up? What air fuel ratios does you then hold at max boost, (as if that's safe to read lol). I had my 98 grenade making a pass when it was making 8 or 10 psi but those pistons were notoriously weak.
No signs that I have personally noticed. But I havent pulled the plugs or anything. I dont hear anything but my car is so damn loud I cant hear anything anyway. A/F is mostly in the mid 10's but my long tubes made it lean out over 7000rpm, which will be fixed when I do my custom E85 tune in a couple weeks.

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
No signs that I have personally noticed. But I havent pulled the plugs or anything. I dont hear anything but my car is so damn loud I cant hear anything anyway. A/F is mostly in the mid 10's but my long tubes made it lean out over 7000rpm, which will be fixed when I do my custom E85 tune in a couple weeks.
Some would say that was a safe rich tune at 10ish:1. Our compression being so high though makes it hard to pour the boost on.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
My after intercooler intake air temperatures vary from +12 to +17 degrees above ambient measured in the intake manifold. After the car sits and heat soaks it goes up to about 100 degrees but drops in a matter of minutes to the low 80s.
You have an extra special cooling system though. How much for a manifold that would fit a TVS?

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Hi all FI guys. I'm a long time mustang guy and currently have a D1SC but no fancy liquid intercooler, and even better all these electronics. I'm curious if we can compile a list of intake air temps under different conditions by different vendors? Would be curious of these measurements after a good heat soak then a recording. Would not have to be a full bore run either. I think any data points are good. Very very interested in comparing the Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush -vs- centrifugals.

1. Boost level:
2. Outside air temp:
3. Intake air temp:
4: Air/fuel ratio:
5: Other relevant parameters:
The only time I could see that level of detail being involved, is if there was ever a law suit debate on power gains/claims.

Very few people have the ability to log/record and do data logging like that, at a level of precision that is acceptable.

OP
OP

Timo5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Mustang GT PP
Yeah it was the mechanical engineer in me. I built the coyote engine assembly line for Ford. Well not just me, our company. I was doing the corvette axle at the time though so no idea what sensors were available. Really was looking for swags at data that could be used to "fit" roughly the efficiency. Definitely not looking for a lawsuit lol. I realized all gets are off when I blew up my original cobra motor with my P1SC. Nothing to due with detonation or procharger. Simply a poor piston design.
Sponsored