Installing MGW shifter

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
My 2019 R has been sitting with 20 miles on it since I bought it last September because of the stupid NJ winters. I was pumped to take the cover off and rip it around this spring but I just found out that my VIN is one of the ones affected by the OEM shifter recall. I'm contemplating installing the MGW shifter instead of replacing the OEM unit with another OEM.

I don't trust the dealership to do the MGW shifter install properly so I would like to do it myself. Hell, I don't even trust the dealership with replacing the OEM unit with another OEM.

After watching the install video from MGW I don't know how I will be able to do the job with my Quick Jacks or even with jack stands seeing that you have to lower the transmission in order to do the install.

If I use my Quick Jacks, I don't think I will be able to use a transmission jack or even a conventional jack to lower and support the transmission. If I put the car on jack stands I think I will be running into the same issue with lowering and supporting the transmission.

Has anyone done this install themselves using something other than a commercial lift?

If so, do you have any pointers?
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yup, did mine on the floor on jackstands. Piece of cake. Got all four corners up and then just use my small, 1.5 ton floor jack under the tranny. No “transmission” jack or special tools needed. Unless you’re just spoiled from having a lift and don’t mind laying down, up on stands is plenty of room.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I did this installation on my 2014 car with Jack Stands........lowered the Trans a few inches and got the OEM one out in one piece.......go for it!!:)

Not exactly Easy Peasy but doable especially with Quick Jacks!!:like:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Just a heads up, I found a low profile aluminum 1.5 ton jack on clearance at Lowe's last week for $39(regular $105), harbor freight has them for about $70ish. Would work perfect for supporting the trans, and then you can use it later for track day or whatever...handle easily breaks down and it'll sneak right into the trunk.

OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I did this installation on my 2014 car with Jack Stands........lowered the Trans a few inches and got the OEM one out in one piece.......go for it!!:)

Not exactly Easy Peasy but doable especially with Quick Jacks!!:like:
Yup, did mine on the floor on jackstands. Piece of cake. Got all four corners up and then just use my small, 1.5 ton floor jack under the tranny. No “transmission” jack or special tools needed. Unless you’re just spoiled from having a lift and don’t mind laying down, up on stands is plenty of room.
Thank you fellers !!!!

I'm surprised to hear there is enough room under the car with jack stands to be able to use a conventional jack to support the transmission. I'm having trouble visualizing enough space under the car to be able to work the arm on a conventional jack but if you guys did it then it's obviously doable.

One other question and observation. How far did you have to lower the transmission?

I'm thinking lowering the tranny too much will cause an issue with the alignment where the tranny mates to the motor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Just a heads up, I found a low profile aluminum 1.5 ton jack on clearance at Lowe's last week for $39(regular $105), harbor freight has them for about $70ish. Would work perfect for supporting the trans, and then you can use it later for track day or whatever...handle easily breaks down and it'll sneak right into the trunk.
you da man Jay !! I'm going to check my local Lowe's this weekend.

I know you had an MGW on your 350 and loved it. Did you have it installed or did you do it yerself?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
you da man Jay !! I'm going to check my local Lowe's this weekend.

I know you had an MGW on your 350 and loved it. Did you have it installed or did you do it yerself?
i cheated and used a 4-post lol...and am spoiled to it and it’s sliding tranny jack. it’s been awhile, but i think we just loosened the crossmember a bit and supported it so to not mess up the threads. the hardest part was getting my forearm up top to the 10mm(i think) nut.

if you’ve watched the videos provided by George, you will be good to go brother!

i always tell people if you are doing a res delete(you have an R so scratch that) or a driveshaft, now would be the time to do it!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Here's a tip sheet on the MGW Install. It’s from @Zombo :like:

If I recall correctly, it's used in conjunction with the the MGW video.

Lotsa helpful stuff! DON"T forget to mark the corners of your crossmember BEFORE you unbolt it!

Good luck!!

1.png
2 (2).png

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Here's a tip sheet on the MGW Install. It’s from @Zombo :like:

If I recall correctly, it's used in conjunction with the the MGW video.

Lotsa helpful stuff! DON"T forget to mark the corners of your crossmember BEFORE you unbolt it!

Good luck!!

1.png
2 (2).png
thank you Tank. I will use those bullet points during the install. I appreciate the info !!!

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
My 2019 R has been sitting with 20 miles on it since I bought it last September because of the stupid NJ winters. I was pumped to take the cover off and rip it around this spring but I just found out that my VIN is one of the ones affected by the OEM shifter recall. I'm contemplating installing the MGW shifter instead of replacing the OEM unit with another OEM.

I don't trust the dealership to do the MGW shifter install properly so I would like to do it myself. Hell, I don't even trust the dealership with replacing the OEM unit with another OEM.

After watching the install video from MGW I don't know how I will be able to do the job with my Quick Jacks or even with jack stands seeing that you have to lower the transmission in order to do the install.

If I use my Quick Jacks, I don't think I will be able to use a transmission jack or even a conventional jack to lower and support the transmission. If I put the car on jack stands I think I will be running into the same issue with lowering and supporting the transmission.

Has anyone done this install themselves using something other than a commercial lift?

If so, do you have any pointers?
j

Alain,
If you want to take the drive down to Delaware you can use my shop with 4 post lift to install it. Not sure how far away you are.

OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
j

Alain,
If you want to take the drive down to Delaware you can use my shop with 4 post lift to install it. Not sure how far away you are.
Sox3, you’re a good man sir!!

many thanks for the offer but I literally live on the border with upstate NY.

I owe you a beer just for offering your shop my friend. If you ever make it to northern NJ, let me know.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Sox3, you’re a good man sir!!

many thanks for the offer but I literally live on the border with upstate NY.

I owe you a beer just for offering your shop my friend. If you ever make it to northern NJ, let me know.
I kind of thought you were far north. Thank you, If I get up that way we will have a cold one.
Sponsored