Installing camber plates after the fact

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
In a previous post I mentioned I could not use the MMR camber plates due to the lack of correct bushings for the shock rod spherical bearings after installing the Steeda 8242 springs. I haven't had an alignment yet but suspect the camber is probably more negative now (it was -1.7 fixed). I am getting bushings made to solve the problem

Rather than get the alignment done, finding out it's too negative, putting the plates in and aligning again, it might be best to install them before the alignment.

My question is, has anyone done this without pulling the whole strut? Those bottom bolts are a killer. I saw somewhere where they jacked up the control arm, released the top nut, undid the 3 mounting bolts and slowly lowered the control arm. I would suspect you have to undue anything attached to the strut to let it drop. By doing it that way I was wondering if there is enough space up top to get the bearing off and install the adjustable plate? Anyone done it this way?
Sponsored

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
Yes, have removed the top mount plate a few times by unbolting and then dropping the strut assembly from the car. But I've never reinstalled in the same manor, its always been off car for mounting back up.

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Yes, have removed the top mount plate a few times by unbolting and then dropping the strut assembly from the car. But I've never reinstalled in the same manor, its always been off car for mounting back up.
Might just let the alignment place do it this time. I don't think my knees can take another jack stand session

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Bottom bolts mounting strut to the knuckle ? Replaced them with non-spline service bolts, they come out easily this way. Compressing the spring is way more sketchy but the method you've mentioned will work since you're not replacing the spring.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd remove it just as you described, but then pull the strut out completely. It will make you life easier. Get kneepads if necessary LOL. I feel your pain. I need to find a lift ASAP. Although, I need a garage to put it in first.

And I still want to go faster. All those things cost money. #firstworldproblems

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I'd remove it just as you described, but then pull the strut out completely. It will make you life easier. Get kneepads if necessary LOL. I feel your pain. I need to find a lift ASAP. Although, I need a garage to put it in first.

And I still want to go faster. All those things cost money. #firstworldproblems
Same boat. My garage isn't tall enough for a lift. It's going in for an alignment anyways. I might just let them do it.

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Roughly. What the distance from the roof of the car to the floor when lifted?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Roughly. What the distance from the roof of the car to the floor when lifted?
It's under a foot but "just enough" according to the guys who installed it. tbh I was lucky enough that for some reason the builder always made tall garages when adding a basement, little over 11'. The Garage folks did the high lift, new side motor and lift install after measuring and getting exact height of the cars. I actually can park my Passat TDI under the GT.