Sponsored

Camber Bolts or Plates absolutely needed after lowering?

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I searched this alot before posting and couldn't find a definitive answer on here. Im trying to find out if I NEED to buy front camber bolts to get back into alignment spec after lowering 1.5 inch in the front.

I know plates would be best but 1: I dont know what Im doing with adjusting them anyways and 2: I am simply out of car mod funds for a while.

If I need bolts I want to get them before I go for a alignment.

Sorry if that has been beaten to death already, I just couldn't conclude a answer by searching.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Whether you actually NEED to depends at least a little on where your car's cambers are now and how much negative camber you're willing to live with.

Even if you were to get the bolts as a temporary solution, you're still going to have to find a shop that's willing (and able!) to deal with them.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
For that much lowering, I would say yes, assuming you're doing a street-focused alignment. Plates > Bolts, but either will work.

OP
OP
SDAMike

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Im ok with some camber, but Im not sure where or what the sweet spot is for improved handling but not wearing the tires out way too fast. Is it possible to drop that low and end up with a livable camber without plates or bolts? I have zero idea what it is at now, its all stock.
My thought was to go with a lifetime alignment at firestone, I've done that before with other cars and it worked out well in the long run.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
For a 1/5" drop yes you need caster/camber plates so the mechanic can properly align the front end. Maximum Motorsports has them for $250 and it's money well spent.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the above video - LMR nails it!

Deleted member 35775

@tj@steeda i have a 19, non-magnaride, PP1 and i'm considering Steeda Progressive springs and would like to know if i'll need the camber plates to ensure proper alignment (vs recommended installation of camber plates). i'm looking to close the gap on both the front and rear. i'm running 20x10, 285/35 on front and 20x11, 305/35 on rears. would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.
my car.jpg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To sum up what we do at our facility, the majority of cars that gets lowering springs installed at Steeda gets camber plates/upper strut mounts.

To do it all at once will save time & additional money - vs. doing it down the road if the below happens.

Please send me your contact info to [email protected] & I will put you in touch with Rodney who can explain everything he has seen on cars that come into our shop & why we always install/recommend them.

After you speak to him, you can make your assessment!

TJ

Deleted member 35775

.....Please send me your contact info to [email protected] & I will put you in touch with Rodney who can explain everything he has seen on cars that come into our shop & why we always install/recommend them.

After you speak to him, you can make your assessment!

TJ
Contact info sent... thanks for following up in the thread.

OP
OP
SDAMike

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So, I ended up buying steeda plates. Figured I cant really go wrong with buying plates, I spent way too much on the car already this month but why not do it now when Im replacing the struts anyways and that way I dont have to worry about the bolts not getting the car to where Id like it to be alignment wise...although Im not entirely sure where that is yet.
Sponsored