Sponsored

Installed ford racing oil-air separator, need help!

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
*UPDATE on page 5*

Installed the Ford oil-air separator this evening. Everything went well until I finished up and realized that when I unplugged a wiring harness for the install, something must have happened because upon plugging it back in it does not secure with a click. It appears like there’s a small plastic tab that it slides over to secure it and I think it must have broken off. It was tiny to begin with so I think that’s why I didn’t notice anything when it snapped off. Anyone have an idea of what I can do? I want to make sure the harness stays secured while driving! I should have known……… the install went too smooth for something stupid to not pop up at the end 🤬

(it’s the harness with the red push clip)

9F3A8217-6370-41BF-9055-FB80ED094CC7.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll try to mess with it again when I get home from work. I should have taken a pic with the connector off as well. Does the red tab lock on to a small plastic tab that sticks up like a fin? It sure looked like there was something missing on the part the plug connects to. And the red tab seemed to go in all the way but not catch anything.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think that's the throttle body plug, if I remember correctly. That locking tab should be in the "out" position until you push the plug onto the socket. Then you push it in to lock it in place and prevent pressure from being applied to the thumb latch.

I actually broke the little plastic clip that attaches to the front timing stud for the plug next to that one on mine, and have been completely unable to locate this part with Ford.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Here’s what the connector looks like on the throttle body. If you’ve broken the tab off, you’re probably going to have to buy a new throttle body.

60CB16C8-4BB9-49AC-B322-453429EBC534.png

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s what the connector looks like on the throttle body. If you’ve broken the tab off, you’re probably going to have to buy a new throttle body.

60CB16C8-4BB9-49AC-B322-453429EBC534.png
Fuck me. In the picture you posted on the piece that sticks out (bottom left) that little tiny fin like tab that sticks up…..I think that is broken off. And I was so careful to pull the red clip back gently and pull the connector off slowly. What a cheap piece of shit way to secure the harness.

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that's the throttle body plug, if I remember correctly. That locking tab should be in the "out" position until you push the plug onto the socket. Then you push it in to lock it in place and prevent pressure from being applied to the thumb latch.

I actually broke the little plastic clip that attaches to the front timing stud for the plug next to that one on mine, and have been completely unable to locate this part with Ford.
Are you talking about the clip that holds the wiring harness to the stud? That was also a cheap shit design by ford. So much plastic. So brittle. Fuck!!!!!!!! I should just rip the throttle body and all of it off and install a procharger.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Are you talking about the clip that holds the wiring harness to the stud? That was also a cheap shit design by ford. So much plastic. So brittle. Fuck!!!!!!!! I should just rip the throttle body and all of it off and install a procharger.
Yup, exactly the clip that broke on me. I spent an hour on the phone with Ford. They couldn't find the part in their catalog and suggested I buy the entire engine harness to see if it's on there. $200 part...

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Fuck me. In the picture you posted on the piece that sticks out (bottom left) that little tiny fin like tab that sticks up…..I think that is broken off. And I was so careful to pull the red clip back gently and pull the connector off slowly. What a cheap piece of shit way to secure the harness.
Yep. To fix it right will,require a replacement throttle body. Be very careful when you tighten the new throttle body bolts. 89 in-lbs (not ft-lbs) is what is required. That actually converts to 7.4 ft-lbs, as 12 in-lbs = 1 ft-lb. You will need a 1/4” drive in-lb torque wrench. You can pick one up at Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any ideas for a temp solution?

looks like the throttle body is under $200 which doesn’t sting as bad as I thought it would. Sucks there isn’t a way to secure this without having to swap that out.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Dude just run a zip tie (or piece of copper wire if you're worried about heat) though the yellow/brown wires and up around the silver solenoid-looking part above the throttle body opening. Doesn't have to be super tight, just snug so the connector can't back out and the zip tie can't slide off over top of the throttle body.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
@Atlas1 @Quick Just out of curiosity, the pin on the throttle body broke when you unplugged the connector? Is there any specific way how to do that, or you just yank it out?
I am asking because it seems that the way it secures is hinted by the pics posted here, but I do not see any obvious way how to release it (safely).

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Get you some of these from your local hardware store, stick one on top of the wiring harness connector and the other on the body of the motor on the throttle body and use a zip tie as mentioned above to hold it together. That should make sure it won’t back out until you can replace the throttle body. See blue Xs on your photo of where to place the cable tie mounts.

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ca...MImqfAm7-28gIVT8vICh0zNgwdEAQYAiABEgKGiPD_BwE

E2CFB996-3DF7-4D9A-A62D-42F78A854E63.jpeg
Sponsored