Sponsored

INSANE BRAKE MYSTERY

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Posted the pictures. You figure it out. I can't. Neither can the mechanic that I had come to the house. He's out trying to find parts for the calipers but it's Sunday, I'm not holding my breath.
if the mechanic can't figure it out don't let him touch your car that's obviously simple to figure out just looking at it

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mystery solved.. they did not put the brake pad back in.. make them buy you new calipers, rotors and pads... and never bring your car back to that "shop".

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
All because I wanted my calipers green. Ahh Hell!
Nothing wrong with the want part, you just picked a wrong shop with some morons who did the work. I would get a more competent place to check everything that they have touched, assuming that you painted front calipers as well.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Driving around for 600 miles without a brake pad and now you're experiencing something strange? No issues before that??

That rotor is toast too after the caliper made contact onto it...

OP
OP
1emglenn

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
It's fixed but I still don't know what happened. On the driver side the slide pin snapped and that apparently caused the pad to come loose (I wasn't driving 600 miles with no pad). What caused the slide pin to snap? Maybe over tightening of the bolts, but who knows for sure?
I thought that there was a problem with the passenger side too, but they checked it out and it was fine. Checked the front brembos too and they were good also. So, if the shop that painted the calipers could reinstall 3 with no problems why did they screw up the 4th?
Had to change the rotor because it had damage from the caliper and needed new slide pin and pad. They were able to fix it so I could have the old caliper with its paint-job.
Now you guys snidely made references to my doing the work myself. When I was younger I did. But I'm 74 now and have a bad left hip flexor and the knees aren't that good anymore. I can get down to do the work but getting back up makes me wish I had a Life-Alert fob. Getting old is a bitch. Just wait until it's your turn. You'll be crying like a baby. HOO-HAA

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
must admit I didn't think there were pins in the rear calipers due to the over pad design of said caliper. Glad you got it sorted and slapped some whippersnappers on here back into line. Enjoy your car :like:

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Now you guys snidely made references to my doing the work myself. When I was younger I did. But I'm 74 now and have a bad left hip flexor and the knees aren't that good anymore. I can get down to do the work but getting back up makes me wish I had a Life-Alert fob. Getting old is a bitch. Just wait until it's your turn. You'll be crying like a baby. HOO-HAA
You got a decade on me, but I know where you are coming from. I spent most of my 20's and 30's under a car. As I got older, I just didn't have the time, so I farmed out most of the work. Now I have (or will very, very shortly) the time again, but my knees are shot and as much as I would love to do it, crawling under a car is no longer on the agenda.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You've only got 7 years on me and I still do as much of my own work as possible. Brakes are easy and can be done from a rolling stool. I've done two sets in the last 4 months. My FIL framed in and roofed his garage at 70 so age isn't necessarily an excuse. I understand that some people have health issues but I firmly believe that as soon as you start using age as an excuse you've doomed yourself...

Sponsored
OP
OP
1emglenn

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
You've only got 7 years on me and I still do as much of my own work as possible. Brakes are easy and can be done from a rolling stool. I've done two sets in the last 4 months. My FIL framed in and roofed his garage at 70 so age isn't necessarily an excuse. I understand that some people have health issues but I firmly believe that as soon as you start using age as an excuse you've doomed yourself...
Not really using age, I think my body is just wearing out. Through my 50’s I could run 10K’s and half marathons but starting in my 60’s the joints started going and muscles started tearing. Now just trying to maintain muscle mass is challenging. Like I’ve said before even putting my socks on has become an athletic event.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Not really using age, I think my body is just wearing out. Through my 50’s I could run 10K’s and half marathons but starting in my 60’s the joints started going and muscles started tearing. Now just trying to maintain muscle mass is challenging. Like I’ve said before even putting my socks on has become an athletic event.
Yup ... age hits everyone differently but it does hit everyone eventually.

I know people who have done everything "right", exercise, eat right, avoid all vices, etc and still ended up with health issues at too young an age, then there are others who do it all "wrong" and are healthy as can be.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Like I’ve said before even putting my socks on has become an athletic event.
How about trimming toe nails? For me almost impossible.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Add some cognac to the morning coffee, then go for socks workout. If you grab another glass of cognac with a cigar, then hell with socks, crocks will do just fine. It won't heal the knees but will make a much better start of the day.

On the topic subject, I guess we'll never know how could a pad fall out and disappear along with significant damage to the rotor within seconds between big bang and a stop from crawling speed. But it's good that all is fixed now.

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I hear that! I have worked on my own cars for well over 50 years and can still do a lot...
but now it is MUCH more painful! Particularly getting down on the floor or creeper - and then there is getting back up 😱. Changing sparkplugs means a week of back pain these days. We all age differently and I definitely am not able to do as much as I used to be able to.
Sponsored