INSANE BRAKE MYSTERY

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
About 600 miles back I had a shop paint by calipers to match the car. No brake problems until yesterday.
I live in a gated community and I was heading towards one of our gates when I noticed that the gate was under repair. I slowly turned around and probably was doing no more than 15mph when there was a big bang that sounded like it came from the left rear. Moments later a big bang from the right rear. I pulled over and went to look. My driver side rear caliper was separated, the bolt had snapped. Going over to the other side I saw that the same had happened there too. HOW?
The shop must have done something wrong on the reinstall but for 600 miles no problems. I was driving slowly hadn't really used the brakes much, hadn't hit anything, and both bolts went within seconds of each other. WTF!!!
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My driver side rear caliper was separated, the bolt had snapped. Going over to the other side I saw that the same had happened there too.
This doesn't make sense to me. What, exactly, separated? There are two bolts that hold each caliper to the mounting bracket and two bolts holding the bracket to the hub. What single bolt broke to separate the caliper? Maybe some pictures would help?

OP
OP
1emglenn

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
Here you go ...

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
1emglenn

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
This doesn't make sense to me. What, exactly, separated? There are two bolts that hold each caliper to the mounting bracket and two bolts holding the bracket to the hub. What single bolt broke to separate the caliper? Maybe some pictures would help?
Posted the pictures. You figure it out. I can't. Neither can the mechanic that I had come to the house. He's out trying to find parts for the calipers but it's Sunday, I'm not holding my breath.

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
what do you think separated looking at those pictures the only problem is you have no pad on one side where is a picture of the broken bolt

OP
OP
1emglenn

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
what do you think separated looking at those pictures the only problem is you have no pad on one side where is a picture of the broken bolt
Probably on the street somewhere.

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
He's asking to take a picture of a broken/separated parts.
It seems that they forgot to install at least one pad and you've been driving without it...
It's hard to tell, but it looks like there is a pretty deep groove scored into the rotor.

Have you noticed any scraping sounds since having the calipers painted?

OP
OP
1emglenn

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
Already made the appointment. Having it towed to a brake shop tomorrow and let them figure it out. All because I wanted my calipers green. Ahh Hell!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Already made the appointment. Having it towed to a brake shop tomorrow and let them figure it out. All because I wanted my calipers green. Ahh Hell!
theres a brake pad missing on one side. They didn’t install the pad. That’s messed up dude.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Posted the pictures. You figure it out. I can't. Neither can the mechanic that I had come to the house. He's out trying to find parts for the calipers but it's Sunday, I'm not holding my breath.
Those pictures don't show any bolts. All the bolts are on the back side of the calipers. What I do see, as others have said, appears to be at least 1 missing pad.
I'm thinking that you will be lucky if you don't have to replace those painted calipers...
Sponsored