Sponsored

I want more torque starting from 2000 RPM (want it to feel like 4k) what're my options?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've been waiting for this moment.

You want a torquier engine for around town? Get an Ecoboost.
Yeah I don't know about that, the newer Coyote is making 300ft/lbs before 3,000 RPM in most cases which is more than the Ecoboost excluding the HPP. If you want to live your life at 2000RPM all the time then sure, the Ecoboost has a little bit more punch. But the dynamic changes pretty quickly.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
OP, seems like you like turbo engines better. A N/A engine, and a high-revving one at that, is not going to have a lot of power down that low. It's meant to be revved, so can't compare it to push-rod or turbo engines. 2K rpm on an EB or LS = 2,500 on ours (1/3rd of redline), so that should be your minimum number. As several people already said, adjust your driving habits, and don't be afraid to rev your engine. Most of us LOVE shifting and hearing the engine. Enjoy a N/A V8 while you can, brother :).

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Yeah I don't know about that, the newer Coyote is making 300ft/lbs before 3,000 RPM in most cases which is more than the Ecoboost excluding the HPP. If you want to live your life at 2000RPM all the time then sure, the Ecoboost has a little bit more punch. But the dynamic changes pretty quickly.
Well, I wasn't excluding an HPP, since I own one, but that's not the point. The point is it was a joke and our Canadian friend needs to learn to downshift.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
More part throttle response. I don't gun it at 2k RPM....I like it to feel more lively when going up and down hills without having to downshift to 3rd when it's spinning too high for my liking, and to lightly pass.

I am not flooring it at 2000 rpm I want to roll on the throttle and quietly pass without having to shift down to a lower gear up inclines and whatnot....
There are several tables in the stock tune that control the throttle response and they are very easy to manipulate. You can make it “demand” more torque at part throttle and 2000 rpm if you like. You can even change the demand as a function of vehicle speed (improve response at higher speeds),

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyways, one of my biggest gripes is around 2000 RPM around town in 4th gear i want some more go when I ascend slight grades without downshifting.
wrong answer. shift the bloody thing. 2000 RPM is for off-throttle cruise. If you want any power on throttle tip-in 2500 rpm is the MINIMUM. 3000 is much better. You have a multi-ratio trans - use it. Any anyway 2000 RPM in 4th is what 40mph?

Hell My LS (6.2l camaro) sits at 2500rpm at minimum unless I'm going nowhere and then I'll grudgingly select 6th gear.

Otherwise positive displacement superchargers. Or join the 7.3l fan club. Or buy a diesel if you can't wrap your head around the fact that the Coyote is designed to rev and rev with gusto unlike the previous 50 years of can't rev for snot American V8 designs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Anyways, one of my biggest gripes is around 2000 RPM around town in 4th gear i want some more go when I ascend slight grades without downshifting.
Your request is achievable without E85 or Pressurizing.
Will it be 4000 rpm power at 2000 rpm's ? No
Start by locking stuff down, 120mm CAI (PMAS no tune or tune / JLT if tuning), always run 91 or 93 octane.
I've PM'ed the details that have worked for me. I experienced the same lethargic low end power band as you. After throwing some money at the car I decided not to kick it to the curb. The car as delivered from Ford is a Powder Puff Turd and I'm speaking of the GTPP...........

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Upgrade to a 2018+ PP1 A10. Kidding (sort of). For Gen 2 Coyotes, the Ford Performance Pack 2 gives a healthy torque increase, but not really much at 2000 rpm. From this before/after dyno curve by MotoIQ, the FPP2 adds about 15 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. That is equivalent to the stock engine at 3000 rpm. That said, peak torque increase is about 50 ft-lbs at ~4300 rpm. Peak to peak torque increase is 31 ft-lbs. Not bad.
1600544610863.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
engineermike has it right.

Ford did make them soft at lower pedal inputs.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
This is not an issue of engine tuning. This is an issue of a silly request. OP should be driving an automatic transmission which does the downshift he's unwilling to do.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Nah, I’ve actually been tuning my Whipple a10 for the same. Tuning myself, I’ve greatly increased the threshold for downshift to the lower gears, lowered shift points a tad, and been working on optimizing borderline tables (more initial spark timing at low rpm). I’ve actually been making wot 2000-3000 rpm pulls for tuning reasons. The stock pcm is actually tuned to run wot at 750 rpm safely.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Nah, I’ve actually been tuning my Whipple a10 for the same. Tuning myself, I’ve greatly increased the threshold for downshift to the lower gears, lowered shift points a tad, and been working on optimizing borderline tables (more initial spark timing at low rpm). I’ve actually been making wot 2000-3000 rpm pulls for tuning reasons. The stock pcm is actually tuned to run wot at 750 rpm safely.
Tune for that RPM range all you want, but the rest of the engine is built for 5k+. Intake, cams, exhaust, heads, etc can be tuned around, especially supercharged, but that's a really expensive way to go about emulating a stroked Windsor when you can just downshift and be done with it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I agree the engine breathes really well and shines on top end like no other car I’ve driven. But....I don’t want to run it past 5k every time I leave a stop light to get pushed back in the seat is all. And I don’t want another pushrod motor. Ever.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I agree the engine breathes really well and shines on top end like no other car I’ve driven. But....I don’t want to run it past 5k every time I leave a stop light to get pushed back in the seat is all. And I don’t want another pushrod motor. Ever.
Lol, a pushrod motor is exactly what you want. You just won't admit it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Lol, a pushrod motor is exactly what you want. You just won't admit it.
Don’t be ridiculous. The beauty of the engine is a broad rpm range. It can scream at 7500 rpm and make respectable low rpm torque by virtue of the tivct, cmcv, and compression ratio. A pd blower helps too. A pushrod motor can’t do both.

You think it’s wrong for someone to want to make low rpm torque for driving enjoyment and also high rpm power for max performance?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Don’t be ridiculous. The beauty of the engine is a broad rpm range. It can scream at 7500 rpm and make respectable low rpm torque by virtue of the tivct, cmcv, and compression ratio. A pd blower helps too. A pushrod motor can’t do both.

You think it’s wrong for someone to want to make low rpm torque for driving enjoyment and also high rpm power for max performance?
It has plenty of torque. Just drop a gear.
Sponsored