Sponsored

I want more torque starting from 2000 RPM (want it to feel like 4k) what're my options?

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Completely stock '16 GT PP 3.73. I don't want to go with any shorter gears as they're short enough already!!!!

Anyways, one of my biggest gripes is around 2000 RPM around town in 4th gear i want some more go when I ascend slight grades without downshifting. I know this isn't an LS or a Hemi but some better throttle response and some more torque around there would be helpful.

I know there's the Power Pack 2 from Ford Racing. But is a canned tune the best way to go? I want to maintain some reliability too. I see some decent-looking gains with LTH and would ideally like to keep my cats. Would LTH give me that boost? Would I have to do the full exhaust?

Any other recommendations without boost?
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Completely stock '16 GT PP 3.73. I don't want to go with any shorter gears as they're short enough already!!!!

Anyways, one of my biggest gripes is around 2000 RPM around town in 4th gear i want some more go when I ascend slight grades without downshifting. I know this isn't an LS or a Hemi but some better throttle response and some more torque around there would be helpful.

I know there's the Power Pack 2 from Ford Racing. But is a canned tune the best way to go? I want to maintain some reliability too. I see some decent-looking gains with LTH and would ideally like to keep my cats. Would LTH give me that boost? Would I have to do the full exhaust?

Any other recommendations without boost?
If available in your area tuning for e85 is by far the best bang for your buck. Both overall power and down low torque. Add some LTH to that for even more go.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
LT's & a tune will make it more 'peppy'. I don't recommend the f150 intake did that in 2017 for a few months. It feels more snappy down low but if you race even occasionally its a choke point for the 5.0.

Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Long tubes and a tune are the way to go. If it's available in your area, e85 and coyotes are a match made in heaven. The Ford power packages are an improvement over stock but its certainly not going to be what can be offered with proper aftermarket tuning; i.e. Lund or Palm Beach Dyno. PM me or call us at Lethal Performance if you want to know more in depth.

power-packages-2015-2016-2017-mustang-gt

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
2000 RPM around town in 4th gear
LOL
but some better throttle response and some more torque around there would be helpful.
The throttle pedal commands torque. That's it. 30% throttle at 'xx' rpm will give you 30% of the available torque at 'xx' rpm. Want more ? Then give it more throttle or downshift. I recommend downshift, cause more throttle in 4th at 2000 rpm the knock sensors will go ape shit & killing power. Understand the basics first bud.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'll agree too that 2,000 rpm is way too low to drive in ... I never see it except when going up from 1st. Even on the highway I'm finding 6th useless on the new 18+ MT82's unless I'm up around 125 km/hr (78 mph) and above.

Sponsored
OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
@lazarus870 are you looking for wot torque down low or more part throttle response?
More part throttle response. I don't gun it at 2k RPM....I like it to feel more lively when going up and down hills without having to downshift to 3rd when it's spinning too high for my liking, and to lightly pass.

LOL

The throttle pedal commands torque. That's it. 30% throttle at 'xx' rpm will give you 30% of the available torque at 'xx' rpm. Want more ? Then give it more throttle or downshift. I recommend downshift, cause more throttle in 4th at 2000 rpm the knock sensors will go ape shit & killing power. Understand the basics first bud.

I am not flooring it at 2000 rpm I want to roll on the throttle and quietly pass without having to shift down to a lower gear up inclines and whatnot. I know the engine is not an LS but it would be nice if it had some more meat down low.

And from dyno graphs I can see, some mods do add some more get up and go on the low end which would help with that.

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If available in your area tuning for e85 is by far the best bang for your buck. Both overall power and down low torque. Add some LTH to that for even more go.
LT's & a tune will make it more 'peppy'. I don't recommend the f150 intake did that in 2017 for a few months. It feels more snappy down low but if you race even occasionally its a choke point for the 5.0.
Long tubes and a tune are the way to go. If it's available in your area, e85 and coyotes are a match made in heaven. The Ford power packages are an improvement over stock but its certainly not going to be what can be offered with proper aftermarket tuning; i.e. Lund or Palm Beach Dyno. PM me or call us at Lethal Performance if you want to know more in depth.

power-packages-2015-2016-2017-mustang-gt
Thamk you. No E85 'round here though!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
3.73 or 4.09 gears will wake it right up.

I'm currently experimenting with the 18 F150 manifold. It has long runners with slightly more volume as the 17 GT manifold.

So my unproven theory is it will have truck like torque with GT horsepower. My testing should be done within a month.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
More part throttle response. I don't gun it at 2k RPM....I like it to feel more lively when going up and down hills without having to downshift to 3rd when it's spinning too high for my liking, and to lightly pass.

I am not flooring it at 2000 rpm I want to roll on the throttle and quietly pass without having to shift down to a lower gear up inclines and whatnot. I know the engine is not an LS but it would be nice if it had some more meat down low.

And from dyno graphs I can see, some mods do add some more get up and go on the low end which would help with that.
Drop a gear. Seriously. It's a revvy engine. Let it do its thing.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Did some checking and the 17 truck manifold is larger than the 17 or 18 GT manifild.

17 GT 11.96
18GT 12.5l
18 truck 12.3
17 truck 12.6l

Must be the plenum the runners are visibly smaller on the 17 truck.
Sponsored

Last edited: