Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Steeda stainless steel braided clutch line. It's not overly expensive, and the installation seems to be quite straightforward. Even though I don't have issues with the clutch for the time being, a bit of insurance against having them in the future can't hurt, can it?
But there are a few things that don't seem to add up.

The instructions state that the line should be disconnected at the firewall. And indeed, one of the pictures in the PDF file shows the new stainless steel line going all the way to the firewall:

SteedaClutch1.jpg

In the presentation video, the original line is shown beside the Steeda one:

SteedaClutch2.jpg

But my 2020 GT seems to be a bit different. What I see in the latter picture, namely that black, crooked rubber tube partially covered in heat insulation, doesn't go to the firewall. Instead, it goes into a thin metal pipe, which in turn is connected to the firewall.

IMG_0072.jpg

So, now, my questions:

1. I guess that in this case the instructions should not be followed literally, should they? I mean, there's no point in disconnecting the metal pipe from the firewall and replacing it together with the rest of the line. Instead, I should keep the pipe and disconnect the rest of the line from it, and connect the new line to it. Right?

2. The existing clutch line doesn't look or feel like rubber. It feels like hard plastic. It doesn't look like it might expand and inflate like a baloon, like Steeda says. Not at all. It may not be made of metal, but it still looks as sturdy as it gets. Did they perhaps change it in the 2020 MY? If so, then does it still make sense to replace it with the Steeda line? I wouldn't mind buying some insurance, but will I really need any extra insurance, given how sturdy the existing line already is?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This would be a shout out to @Steeda Tech JohnC or @SteedaTech.

It’s possible due to Ford MY production changes there’s something different. Also, do you have a Euro S550, because maybe there’s some differences due to it being a Euro model?

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've asked Steeda. I'll leave their answer here, in case other people have this dilemma in the future and stumble upon this thread.

"S197 cars had the firewall connection to the left(outside) of the brake booster, S550 connect on a bracket to the right(inside) of the brake master cylinder/booster. Do not remove the bracket for the install, simply remove the retaining clip/pin at the line connection and remove the line.
The rest of the instructions will be the same for both model cars. The clutch line will be slightly longer than the factory line due to flexibility in mounting and the need to have just one part number for the S550 model."

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Speaking of this, I've noticed there's also a stainless steel pipe from Ford Performance, part number M-7512-B.

https://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-...d-line-upgrade-2015-gt-161-m-5712-b-clearance

Any experience with it? Has anyone installed it?
It seems a bit nicer to have a rigid pipe of the same shape as the original, rather than a hose hanging loosely, attached with zip ties to whatever cables happen to be there.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I didn't. In the end I figured it would be too much trouble and expense for a thing that wouldn't really make a difference in a car that's never tracked. I might do it someday, but for now I have other mods on my mind.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I just did the Steeda clutch line last weekend. The installation is not bad, and if you're careful the clips are no big deal either. The only two things that slowed me down are the transmission connector must be fully seated until there's an audible click. I put it on, it sure looked fully seated to me but wasn't so I couldn't get the retaining clip on. Couple more good hard pushes (there's not much room up there at all) and it clicked on and then the clip was easy.

The other items was how many pedal pushes it takes to "bleed the clutch." I stopped counting around number 250 and I was still able to depress the clutch by hand (I have the Steeda clutch return spring too). Anyway, not sure why so many, I thought there might be a way to push fluid into the clutch line from the bottom before putting it on the trans but I didn't have any syringes or tubing which would work.

So, net effect, feels just fine. There is one unexpected benefit which doesn't make sense to me but is mentioned in the Steeda video too. The intermittent small amount of clutch chatter I had when starting off from a stop is gone. Not sure why or how but it has imrpoved/resolved that. Overall, no complaints. My car does see track use and I had not noted any clutch issues during track events, so I"m not sure I really buy the "the clutch line is like a balloon theory."

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Have driven the car and put a few more miles on it. The clutch chatter is gone. The engagement is smoother and consistent. I'd like someone to explain why this is but now I really believe it and this might be the best reason to get the clutch slave cylinder replacement line if you have an "off the line" clutch chatter problem. Mine was not severe by any means, just here and there, but a bit annoying. Fixed now.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Have driven the car and put a few more miles on it. The clutch chatter is gone. The engagement is smoother and consistent. I'd like someone to explain why this is but now I really believe it and this might be the best reason to get the clutch slave cylinder replacement line if you have an "off the line" clutch chatter problem. Mine was not severe by any means, just here and there, but a bit annoying. Fixed now.
You got a mass - the clutch & a spring - the clutch line. When the clutch is being supported by the slave cylinder, the thing is resting on the fluid in the line. The chatter in the clutch is the resonant of the clutch mass on the clutch line spring. By going to a stainless line, we raise the resonant frequency way higher than we can feel.

Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Thank you! Yes, that makes sense to me and is a good explanation for what is going on.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have this on my list to do next year along with a fluid change... and... might as well get an MGW in there while I'm at it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
They're well worth it.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
dont have steeda one but one extremely similar. works very well imo and the clutch engagements have been much more consistent and smooth. 10/10 would do it again