Sponsored

How many winter drivers

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
We've had a snow storm a few days ago and I've been commuting to work every day. Yesterday we had a snow squall with whiteout conditions. I work in the city and live in a small town so my drive is mostly rural roads that don't get salted as well as the city roads. The Mustang handles the snow just fine with a set of winter tires. It's my first RWD car, and it does have more difficulty starting going than my previous cars, but once it gets going it's fine. The traction control works great, I tried playing around with turning it off and it was scary.
Put a bag of salt in the trunk and you'll gain a lot more grip accelerating, but remember to leave space to stop.
Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I doubt it would make any difference, that only works with pickups and vans.

It would also mean worse fuel economy and extra wear on my suspension.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert

Made a big difference when I struggled to pull out of my driveway

It makes a huge difference and who gives a shit about fuel economy when we're talking about drivability and safety in the snow?
Winter is when your fuel economy is at it's worst.
I'm not even going to address the suspension comment, because now you're just talking non sense.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Wear on your suspension...in a car rated to hold 600 some odd pounds of passengers and luggage?
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg
That's interesting, anyone know what the GVWR actually is? Its got to be more the 600lbs considering the average male weighs 200lbs.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
This thread is pretty much winning we have snow ponies, rusted carpet, debates over % of salt affecting thin layers of paint, frame rot, downed mpg, and wearing of rear end suspension components i lol.

Nope, always garaged and I have a low mileage Chevy Cruze daily driver for beating up in the winter. It's worth every penny to have a secondary vehicle for more reasons than just winter driving. Also, if you seen what the salt that we have does to cars, you wouldn't drive here either......it even builds up on the carpet and rusts the interior (despite WeatherTechs)! I love being to go under my car to do maintenance or mods and easily being able to work, since there is zero rust.

We already have a good deal of salt on the road (as my car is covered in it), but I still saw a blue GT350R out yesterday......crazy. If that is you, get the GT350R off the road! That being said, it is temping though......RWD Mustang in the snow would be too much fun.
That might have been me? I dunno. It’s not bad yet in the cities. Salts haven’t laid down everything everywhere yet lease inner cities and close downtown suburbs. PbBaster really takes care of any bolt unless it’s beyond gone and then it’s that’s plus some air tools ;) Haven’t met a bolt that didn’t want to come off after getting luby.

Sponsored

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Anyone worried if there is a slight chip at the underside of the car this could lead to rust on the car if exposed to salt Seriously,even if it was jacked up from the pinch wield at some point that can leave a small scrape or chip in the pain. under the car. Arent you afraid it will start to rust and spread from a small tiny spot exposed there? Im worried about that.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Wear on your suspension...in a car rated to hold 600 some odd pounds of passengers and luggage?
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg
But those 600 pounds are only meant to be in there for a short period. You're suggesting that I put weight in the car and leave it there 24/7 all winter.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Made a big difference when I struggled to pull out of my driveway
Placebo effect.

It makes a huge difference and who gives a shit about fuel economy when we're talking about drivability and safety in the snow?
My driveability is already just fine with my winter tires. During my hour-long commute through snow squalls and roads that weren't plowed properly, I never once felt unsafe, except when I intentionally turned the traction control off to see how that felt. Extra weight won't make any improvement.

I'm not even going to address the suspension comment, because now you're just talking non sense.
So you're suggesting that putting extra weight in the car and keeping it there all winter will NOT cause more wear on the car? Now that's nonsense.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Extra weight is something that you put in a truck or van because those vehicles are light in the back when they're not loaded with cargo. So weight helps them with traction. The Mustang has better weight distribution than a truck/van and is already sufficiently heavy on the back wheels. Putting an extra 100lbs in the trunk will make absolutely no improvement in traction. And even if it did, I still wouldn't do it as rear wheel traction is not a problem. There's some minor slippage when starting up a hill, but the traction control kicks in and the car still starts moving, just a little slower than a fwd car.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Put a bag of salt in the trunk and you'll gain a lot more grip accelerating, but remember to leave space to stop.
I found that putting a bag in each foot well of the rear seats works better. In the trunk it can lift the nose a bit and degrade steering - did that in my old SN95 and with the Blizzaks it made it a snow machine. Now my '16 does NOT go out when the snow is flying - not garaged all winter, but if there is bad weather she stays tucked in.

Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
The logic here is mind boggling. Does no one leave a full tank of gas in their car anymore? Just think about that for a second.

Also try reversing uphill on the slightest incline out of your spot with an empty trunk and come back to me. Starting to think these negative nancys don’t even drive much on the snow

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
The logic here is mind boggling. Does no one leave a full tank of gas in their car anymore? Just think about that for a second.

Also try reversing uphill on the slightest incline out of your spot with an empty trunk and come back to me. Starting to think these negative nancys don’t even drive much on the snow
That's real funny coming from an american. I live further north than you. I probably drive through more snow in one winter than you have your whole life.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I usually have about 80 pounds/40 kg of ballast in my trunk, as far forward as it goes, trying to get it right over the rear axle. It makes a noticeable difference in the way the car drives and handles on slick snow-packed Canadian roads, definitely more stable. This is my 4th winter driving this car, and I feel safer with the extra weight in the back.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I'll remember that the next time I go on a long road trip... "Sorry honey, the car simply was not meant to hold your weight for long periods of time"
Do you realize the difference between a passenger sitting in the car during a drive, and putting a bag of concrete or whatever in the trunk all winter? Your wife doesn't sit in the car 24/7 for the whole winter, does she? She gets in the car, then when you arrive at your destination, she gets out. Do you see how that's different than putting something in the trunk and keeping it there non-stop for the duration of an entire winter?

The The Dakotas, the entire Great Lakes region, upstate NY, and New England would like to have a word with you. And here I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite...
Canada is north of those states.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Bag of salt from home depot is 50lbs, a full tank of gas is 80+, my trailer hitch alone is 50lbs.
I think Jimmy is just one of those petty debbie downers that just has to have the last word no matter how wrong he is or how petty the argument is or he's just being a dumb canadian.

How does he not understand that a bag of salt is the same shit as parking with a full tank of gas?
Some people are just a special kind of stupid.
Sponsored