Sponsored

How Many Clicks On Your Parking Brake ?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
How many clicks does your parking brake have ?

Mine (from new) seems to have an excessive amount of travel before it holds the car, it’s almost like it’s gone full hard rather than just having a semi :cwl:

Other cars I’ve had seem to have about half the amount of travel. The Kia comes back from its annual service with about three clicks, four if you really try.

Im wondering if I should nip it up a little when the H pipe goes on, or will that cause me problems as it’s currently set just how there supposed to be ?

Cheers for any input :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Just went and tested it. 11 clicks.

But since the covid lockdown started, what I've been doing is parking my car, then putting a block of wood on each side of one of the tires, then putting the car in neutral and releasing the parking brake so the wood holds the car rather than the brake. My reasoning being that since my car sometimes doesn't move for a whole week it's no good for the spring on the parking brake to be extended for that long. I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but this is what my dad used to do on one of his cars that he didn't drive often.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
My 19 definitely sits higher than my 16 but I always push the button when I pull it up. I cannot stand the sound and even though the wear is minimal and probably doesn’t effect anything it would bother me if I didn’t push the button to stop the clicking noise.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Mine sits on a level floor when not being driven.
I never park it anywhere when I drive it, so I never
use my parking brake.

Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Mine sits on a level floor when not being driven.
I never park it anywhere when I drive it, so I never
use my parking brake.
How do you never park your car when you drive it???? Do always just circle back home?

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
How do you never park your car when you drive it???? Do always just circle back home?
Yep.
It is only a show off car, Sunday driver or...............
Sometimes it'll be two months between drives. (more in winter)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I always push the button when I pull it up.
Same here :). But commenting on the subject, my parking brake is lousy, especially if car is up hill. I just parked once in a mild up hill, and had to pull the stupid parking brake so hard to hold the car I thought it'd break the damn thing. And car was still creaking. Yes, I always put it in gear too, but I don't like the transmission holding the car. When car is pointing down, it holds a little better. But I don't understand why it's so weak, when using the same caliper as the rear brakes. Oh well.

Not sure what the spec is, but need to look into how to adjust it. I remember in the old days you just rolled the car backwards, and then pull the parking brake, and it'd adjust. But don't think it works like that on these cars. Does anybody have the adjusting specs? Thx.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I tried to count the clicks, but it's hard to tell. I always pull the lever as far as I feel it wants to go without using excessive force. At that point it feels right to me, and the handbrake holds the car just fine. Up to that point there are approximately eleven to thirteen clicks.
However, if I pull very hard it will go at least four or five clicks more. I counted eighteen clicks, and I think I could have gone even further. But it takes a lot of force, it doesn't feel right.
That's why I'm saying it's hard to tell. Apparently it can go much further than it would be reasonable to assume, so the exact number of clicks depends on how hard each of us pulls on the lever.
Frankly, I haven't seen this before in any of my other cars. Usually I would pull the lever quite easily all the way up, and at that point it would barely go one single click more, and quite heavily at that. My wife always complains that she cannot release the handbrake after I drive her car. :giggle:

Last edited:

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
7 clicks to hold the car in place. 10-11 is the normal spot.
**I was bored this morning waiting for the car to warm up.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Never would have counted until this stupid thread came up lol. 17 clicks if really pull. 3-4 hold the car well if I'm not on a hill.
Sponsored