Sponsored

How Many Clicks On Your Parking Brake ?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
ah got to love handbrake calipers - when the damn handbrake lever is pointing almost Apollo launch angle you know it's time to adjust it. Like a few people have mentioned here I use the handbrake rarely and never when it's parked on a flat or slight incline, gearbox can hold the car. Must admit coming to MOT time (annual inspection) i did use it frequently just to make sure it would pass the test but how many clicks, no idea but say half 1 oclock position.
Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My 19 definitely sits higher than my 16 but I always push the button when I pull it up. I cannot stand the sound and even though the wear is minimal and probably doesn’t effect anything it would bother me if I didn’t push the button to stop the clicking noise.
Actually (and I'm not sure how true this is), I've been taught in driver's ed back in Czech (where 99% cars are manuals) that holding the button in means you tend to overpull the brake, meaning too far. I know you can feel the resistance towards the top anyway, but I feel with the clicks you can stop little sooner and be more careful.
I know, an anecdotal evidence, but my brother has a Mondeo (European Fusion) and he pulls his e-brake like that (pushing the button in) and he slowly, but surely has to pull higher and higher as it stretches/loosens everything there.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I cant count that high. Come to stop, push into first gear, yank pbrake until it feels good, push start/stop button and walk away.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
4 clicks.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The clearance between the e-brake bracket and caliper is supposed to be 1mm, so that's the first step for us, new car owners IMO. I'll check that clearance when I remove the wheels one of these days to clean/polish the wheels on the inside, check axle nut torque, and now the parking brake clearance.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
WD Pro I gotta say you are really into it. Did you buy this car just to take it apart? You certainly dive right into just about everything.
Speaking of which any progress on the slip on exhaust tips you were working on?

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
3 click easy pull for flat, 4/5 clicks for incline.
Being an expat Brit, I have always had handbrakes in my history of cars. I hate these new fandangled electronic brakes.

Remember the various Top Gear episodes, the only way to impress girls is A handbrake turn or stop...!! How can you do that with a 6 click HB..?

Adjustment is very easy to be honest.. modern brakes are not prone to binding when adjusted tight.. as long as the E brake releases when hand brake is released, you can have as many or little clicks you like..

Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
3 maybe 4. I rarely use it, most everywhere I park is pretty flat. I have a friend whose driveway is steep, always use it there, but only enough to hold it. Years ago when I autocrossed, I was told not put the handbrake when the brakes were hot. Think my Dad told me about stretching the cables.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I'm guessing you must have other cars that you normally drive.

Mine sits on a level floor when not being driven.
I never park it anywhere when I drive it, so I never
use my parking brake.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah, figured as much.
By the way, do you daily your Bullitt in Canada? If yes, what rust protection you use for the bottom and what tires you go with for winter?
No, I've got another car for daily duty. Mind you, if the roads are dry and not salty and the temps a few degrees above freezing I'll take it out so it gets a run.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never owned a Mustang that has needed more than 5 clicks to hold it, from my SN95 to my S197 to my S550. Both of the older ones had stretched e brake cables when I first got them from owners ripping the e brake up as far as it will go. Once I replaced the cables, 3-5 clicks ALWAYS held it

So, long story short, stop ripping your damn e brakes For no reason people! I’m tired of replacing e brake cables!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, I checked how many 'clicks' on my parking brake yesterday, and the first thing I noticed is the lever had play. From the fully seated position, I could pull the lever up like about an inch (from the push-button), with basically zero resistance, so it'd stay up if left there. In other words, the spring doesn't push the lever all the way down. If I push it all the way down, it stays there. But if I lift it an inch or so, it stays there too. No brake light at that point. If I push it a hair past that one inch, then the dash light turns on. And if released, the lever goes back to the prior position, and light turns off... but it doesn't go all the way down (although I always push it all the way down myself). IS THAT PLAY NORMAL??? Just curious. Everything seems to be working fine, so probably normal, but let's hear from other owners :).

By the way, my parking brake can easily do 5 clicks flat, without much effort. Maybe it needs adjustment. Will check it one of these days.
Sponsored