How loud is Active Exhaust?

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I've looked around a bit before asking this stupid question but please excuse me if this has already been talked about.

My Mustang GT has the factory exhaust and I love the sound of it all the time but on a cold start it can rattle the windows and although I've heard no complaints yet I cringe when I start it sometimes.

So my question is this... Is getting the AE installed a dealer option or can it be done almost anywhere? I'm certainly no mechanic. Does anyone know about approximate cost to get it all done for me?

BTW...I'm a huge fan of my B&O system and although I'm no audiophile it can't imagine anything sounding that good without spending several thousand to have a serious custom system designed.
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Not doable after the fact. Lots of wiring and control modules. Plus, the controls in the steering wheel. Don't believe there are any aftermarket kits on the market. Borla and several others have replacement axle back mufflers that utilize the factory valves and wiring.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
Not doable after the fact. Lots of wiring and control modules. Plus, the controls in the steering wheel. Don't believe there are any aftermarket kits on the market. Borla and several others have replacement axle back mufflers that utilize the factory valves and wiring.
Well.... I guess I'm glad I'm very happy with the sound of the factory exhaust then... Thanks..... :)

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I've looked around a bit before asking this stupid question but please excuse me if this has already been talked about.

My Mustang GT has the factory exhaust and I love the sound of it all the time but on a cold start it can rattle the windows and although I've heard no complaints yet I cringe when I start it sometimes.

So my question is this... Is getting the AE installed a dealer option or can it be done almost anywhere? I'm certainly no mechanic. Does anyone know about approximate cost to get it all done for me?

BTW...I'm a huge fan of my B&O system and although I'm no audiophile it can't imagine anything sounding that good without spending several thousand to have a serious custom system designed.
Actually, some of us have definitely added the option to our cars not equipped from the factory with AE. It requires a bit of luck, a small boatload of money and cracking the engine computer to get it running - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/

You will be hard pressed to find a dealer that can add the option, going to be a DIY project. There are a few aftermarket options but none that work seamlessly like the factory option does...

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
My wife can't tolerate loud exhausts. My 2018 GT had a fairly tame axleback with factory resonator that she still thought was too loud. With the AE on the Mach 1, she doesn't love normal mode but is OK with it, and loves quiet mode.

However, I love sport+ and track mode, and don't feel the need to replace the resonator with an X or H pipe. Yesterday I pulled out from a stop sign in track mode on a road with a few houses set far back from the street and got on it just a little. A guy on his porch a couple houses away started yelling and waving palms-down like he was saying slow down. (A lot of people think loud = speeding LOL.)

It's a fantastic option.

Sponsored

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The exhaust modes on my Bullitt with AE are perfect for what I wanted. The exhaust note has a good sound regardless of the mode it is in (excluding quiet mode of course lol).

Regarding the B&O, if you replace the sub with an aftermarket one (doesn't have to be expensive either), add some polyfil and you are set. It tightens up the bass and sounds much better. I also unplugged the center dash speaker. Sounds great for an "almost" factory system.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
The exhaust modes on my Bullitt with AE are perfect for what I wanted. The exhaust note has a good sound regardless of the mode it is in (excluding quiet mode of course lol).
IMO even quiet mode sounds pretty good when you step on it, since the valves will open as needed to prevent robbing power under acceleration.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Honestly, I love the AE. I had the resonator deleted and put in a H pipe for < 1 day before having the res welded back on. Ford engineers got it right with this exhaust.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Honestly, I love the AE. I had the resonator deleted and put in a H pipe for < 1 day before having the res welded back on. Ford engineers got it right with this exhaust.
I agree 100%. Ford engineers got it right!

Sponsored

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
1st day driving with the H pipe with AE and it went from awesome to more awesome. All modes have a increased growl with no drone. Sounds beastly.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Actually, some of us have definitely added the option to our cars not equipped from the factory with AE. It requires a bit of luck, a small boatload of money and cracking the engine computer to get it running - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/

You will be hard pressed to find a dealer that can add the option, going to be a DIY project. There are a few aftermarket options but none that work seamlessly like the factory option does...
Guess I should have been more specific. Anything is possible given enough time and money. As you stated, a dealer won't mess with it. It's called liability. If something screws up and the wiring get fried or worse, Fords legal dept would have a field day.

Moaslon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitrii
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Grabber Lime, 2016 BMW 116d M Sport
I love the AE but since the EU models are fitted with OPF filters, I thinks its much quieter than the U.S models.
So I will be installing Borla Atak next week. - hope that will make a difference :clap:

I heard the 2016(?) GT start up and drive past me in the underground car park, which at that point did not have quad pipes and AE, and I could not even tell that it was a Mustang until I turned around a looked at it. It was very quiet at low rpms.

Also have the B&O system installed. After replacing the sub, it sounds decent. Nothing breathtaking but certainly not bad.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I love the AE but since the EU models are fitted with OPF filters, I thinks its much quieter than the U.S models.
I'm not sure there really is that much of a difference. It may be a bit more quiet due to the filter, but not by much. I've heard a pre-facelift GT, and it didn't feel much louder than mine. Maybe a decibel meter could prove that it was indeed louder, but I didn't perceive it.
Sponsored