How loud is Active Exhaust?

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Active exhaust with Steeda H Pipe is a beautiful thing. The thing l like the most is that it doesn't get too loud in the cabin, even in track mode. Sometimes I am driving with the windows up and when I lower them I can only then realize how crazy aggressive it is. It's good to have the option of quiet start.

Sponsored

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
:wink: Sounds like any number of small TX hamlets. That way of life is disappearing.
I would like to find somewhere to live like that myself. The whole state of Utah is getting overgrown everywhere, not much left here.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
... I was fortunate to have the blue plug in the trunk so adding the factory subwoofer was cheap and easy. It improved the sound enough that I probably won't spend any more money on it.
Where is the blue plug stowed? I'm building a homemade sub and was about to pull the rear seats & side panels to access the speaker wiring and power to connect an Audio Control ACM-1.300. This may save me some time!
I agree, the 9 speaker system leaves a lot to be desired. Volume is there but just no depth or punch. Especially with the top down. I ordered a 401A with the B&O but found this 2020 on the lot with a great discount (but 9 spkr) so here I am...
Here's a few pictures of the box so far. Started with a cardboard model to fit all the nooks & crannies of the trunk. Manufactured sub boxes don't exist for the convertible S550 so I decided to build it myself. Front plate is just temporarily screwed in. Still needs final glassing, covering, insulation, & wires installed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

[/QUOTE]
If you have it, it will be behind the panel where your sub is going.
This link will help
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/what-to-add-factory-subwoofer-to-trunk.105567/

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
I wouldn’t last a month in a hoa, I enjoy drinking beer and turning wrenches all night in the garage too much for that. Music and air compressor on, never go in the house to take a leak. Sometimes when my neighbors hear me shooting they come over to watch or shoot too lol. Definitely not a hoa type of person….
You sound like my kind of person!

I'll probably never understand how the sound of an engine that's obviously misfiring can be taken as a good thing.
I can't stand the crackles and pops everyone thinks are so great, either. That's my primary gripe about Sport mode exhaust tone.

What's this "blue plug" in the trunk for a sub people are talking about? Will my 400A car have it? Where do I look?

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
In my opinion, the factory exhaust is not really that loud. It cold starts pretty impressively with a nice fairly loud growl, but my biggest gripe is how at low throttle the car sounds almost silent. No constant rumble. I have AE, and there are some noticeable differences between modes. That said, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in noise between Sport and Track mode. The car sounds a little "blatty" to me, which is not a great sound. At other times, it sounds really good. 305ci is not a huge engine to get massive sound from, but Ford has done overall fairly well.

I also have the 9-speaker stereo. I was shocked how truly horrible the rear decklid speakers are; take a look next time you open the trunk up. I think the magnet on my "clock radio" alarm clock speaker is larger. But the front door low speakers seem to be OK. With the windows up, the stereo sounds OK. Not horrible, but not great. I'd like some additional bass punch.

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I was fortunate to have the blue plug in the trunk so adding the factory subwoofer was cheap and easy. It improved the sound enough that I probably won't spend any more money on it.
I'm also curious about this. From what I've read in the audio section here having the plug doesn't mean you can just plug a subwoofer in and it will work. What was all required to get the sub to work?

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm also curious about this. From what I've read in the audio section here having the plug doesn't mean you can just plug a subwoofer in and it will work. What was all required to get the sub to work?
If you have the blue plug (seems to be random) behind the panel on the right side in the trunk, you need the the short harness from the plug to the sub, a sub from an S550, and the dsp that's in the driver's footwell.
I got my sub and dsp from the parts farm and I think all told was just under $300.

This link has pictures and part numbers.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/what-to-add-factory-subwoofer-to-trunk.105567/

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
If you have the blue plug (seems to be random) behind the panel on the right side in the trunk, you need the the short harness from the plug to the sub, a sub from an S550, and the dsp that's in the driver's footwell.
I got my sub and dsp from the parts farm and I think all told was just under $300.

This link has pictures and part numbers.
Thanks for the info. As it turns out I don't have the blue plug in my car. I have a 2019 Premium with the 401A package and I was sure it would be there, but I pulled the carpet back this morning and nope it's not there. So I'm sticking with what I have, I won't be spending a ton of money to add a subwoofer.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info. As it turns out I don't have the blue plug in my car. I have a 2019 Premium with the 401A package and I was sure it would be there, but I pulled the carpet back this morning and nope it's not there. So I'm sticking with what I have, I won't be spending a ton of money to add a subwoofer.
It seemed to be a crap shoot as to what cars had the plug or not.
Ford manufacturing 🤷🏼‍♂️

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'll probably never understand how the sound of an engine that's obviously misfiring can be taken as a good thing.
Maybe because it's a reminiscence of the times when a bit of misfiring on the overrun was inevitable, and thus it was part of what could be considered the normal sound of a high peformance engine.
I also don't like it, but I think that's because I didn't grow up with it and it doesn't mean anything to me. I'm sure I'd like it if I could somehow relate to it.

Coming back to the active exhaust, while I think it sounds fantastic under acceleration, I find that it's quite tame with little or no throttle. I'd like it to be its usual, savage self all the time. In normal driving it goes like: vroom...silence...vroom...silence...etc. I'd like it to go vrooooooooooom continuously. But I guess there's nothing that can be done in this respect, as this isn't a matter of exhaust design, but rather a side effect of today's highly efficient fuel injection systems. There isn't going to be any exhaust sound if the throttle is closed and nothing comes out of the exhaust pipes, is it? :frown:

Last edited:

Sponsored

AndyBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt, Honda Integra Type R( Acura ) DC2
I searched the threads on AE and found nothing about comparative sounds, just wiring and aftermarket version discussion.

I'm ordering a a '22 Monday (barring him telling me there is a year's wait for production) and am thinking about this option. I have a base '19 GT, how much louder is the rumble?

Also, I'm going to end up with the 9 speaker package I'm sure, but just so I know what to expect, is it decent?

My '19 was a spur of the moment purchase and it's very basic, need a few more options while keeping it stock.

Thanks for the input!
AE is brilliant on my Bullitt and always drive in Sports Mode round the leafy lanes of Yorkshire. Early morning starts in Quiet so as not to rattle the neighbour's foundations. B & O system excellent too!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe because it's a reminiscence of the times when a bit of misfiring on the overrun was inevitable, and thus it was part of what could be considered the normal sound of a high peformance engine.
When misfiring on the overrun is unavoidable, that's one thing. Not when it's added to the sound of an engine that does not inherently sound like that.

I tend to put these crackle/pop tuning efforts in the same general category as sound tubes and synthesized exhaust sounds played through the infotainment system. Sound without functional purpose.

Coming back to the active exhaust, while I think it sounds fantastic under acceleration, I find that it's quite tame with little or no throttle. I'd like it to be its usual, savage self all the time. In normal driving it goes like: vroom...silence...vroom...silence...etc. I'd like it to go vrooooooooooom continuously.
I get this, but probably at a somewhat lesser volume than what you're thinking of.

I could stand for my '08 GT to have a bit more 'voice' at the track, very much preferably something that would enhance the smoother sound character of its X-pipe.

Norm

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
As an enthusiast forum we tend to lose sight of what Ford is doing. They are trying to cater to us while at the same time, not offend the general public. Then there is the federal gov. to contend with. I like being able to pick and choose the exhaust sound based on where I'm at. I'd prefer not to be shot at. We've already had that happen here in TX with pick ups "coal smoking" their exhaust.

GetSum2112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT - TO, AE, BO, 10 SP & 301A
I'm surprised at how docile the AE is in quiet. I guess it's doing what's intended. Plenty of options to turn it up though. I start in quiet, Neighborhood is normal and highway is track mode.
Sponsored