How loud is Active Exhaust?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I hope my soon to be new neighbors don‘t get too upset with me once we get moved into our new home in a few weeks. I promise to try and keep the noise down to a minimum. Seriously though, I do keep it in Quiet mode most of the time when I drive it. I don’t start it very early or late at night and I creep in/out of the neighborhood. I’ll save track mode for the track.
Sponsored

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
You're lucky. Would love to be able to do that. Living in a HOA sometimes sucks, because I've had complaints my car is too loud. I work from home now, used to leave for work at 5am, so I told them they're lucky I am not leaving at the hour I used to. Good for you that you can let it out!
I wouldn’t last a month in a hoa, I enjoy drinking beer and turning wrenches all night in the garage too much for that. Music and air compressor on, never go in the house to take a leak. Sometimes when my neighbors hear me shooting they come over to watch or shoot too lol. Definitely not a hoa type of person….

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
You obviously don't live in South Bend ................ :crackup:

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
You obviously don't live in South Bend ................ :crackup:
MUCH smaller, Reelsville. Theres a post office and lumber yard. School closed. Greencastle and brazil are 10-15 minutes away, has 90% of what I need, terre haute and internet fills the void.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
:wink: Sounds like any number of small TX hamlets. That way of life is disappearing.

Sponsored

SeanD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was at a local dealership on Friday checking out 3 used S550's. One (2019) had an after market exhaust and was really loud. Another was a stock 2020 and it was too raspy for my liking. The 3rd was a 2019 with active exhaust. The sales guy went through all the modes and revved the engine and it was really nice. Deep sound on each mode and you could hear the difference between each. MY 07GT had a custom exhaust with Boss 302 side exits and was really loud when I wanted it to bee and I think when I get my S550, I will for sure enjoy the AE on it.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
AE is truly a spoiler. I'm sure the aftermarket hates it. What with the resonator being non restrictive, IMHO, replacing it or the mufflers makes no sense. I'll take power gains over noise any day of the week.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I love the AE on my 18 GT and most of the time I left it in sport mode which gave a great exhaust note. However, I added a Steeda H pipe and wow! It changed a great exhaust note into an epic exhaust note! It is a good bit louder though. Quiet mode is still quiet but normal mode is louder than stock resonated system in sport, and maybe equivalent to the race setting. What it adds to the sound is more higher frequencies or wail at say 3700 rpm’s and up, along with those sweet pops and crackles.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
those sweet pops and crackles.
I'll probably never understand how the sound of an engine that's obviously misfiring can be taken as a good thing.

Norm

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I love the AE on my 18 GT and most of the time I left it in sport mode which gave a great exhaust note. However, I added a Steeda H pipe and wow! It changed a great exhaust note into an epic exhaust note! It is a good bit louder though. Quiet mode is still quiet but normal mode is louder than stock resonated system in sport, and maybe equivalent to the race setting. What it adds to the sound is more higher frequencies or wail at say 3700 rpm’s and up, along with those sweet pops and crackles.
😄 Yes it does. Sadly, that is why I had to take mine out. I have hearing issues that were affected. Sucks as I really liked it.

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I have a 2020 Mustang GT, non PP, with active exhaust from the factory. I was surprised how loud it sounded from the factory; however, like others, I got used to it quickly and wanted it louder. So, I went with the FORD performance X-pipe to keep it all FORD, and it made a difference.
I'm happy with the sound now. The best way I can explain it with the X pipe is it sounds like a mixture of a classic 70s muscle car and a modern sports car. Deep sounding at low speed, but then goes tinny and higher pitched when you step on it.

Dans18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the AE on my '18. It's a must have for me now.
I've added a resonator delete x-pipe and it is louder. Track mode is pretty loud, startlingly so in a tunnel or under an overpass. I added the FPP power pack and it made it even louder with more pops and burbles. Quiet mode is quiet enough to not upset the neighbors at 6:00am. A track mode cold start is ridiculous. 😁

My car is a 301A car with 9 speakers and they're weak for music listening. I was fortunate to have the blue plug in the trunk so adding the factory subwoofer was cheap and easy. It improved the sound enough that I probably won't spend any more money on it.

PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I have a 2020 PP2 with AE, Roush Stage 2 SC, and Borla ATAK. Even with the full cat back upgrade quiet mode is still very resonable and won’t wake anyone early in the morning. Sport+ and Track on the other hand really bring the sound the car to another level!

spiritrider1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
White 2020 GT Convertible
... I was fortunate to have the blue plug in the trunk so adding the factory subwoofer was cheap and easy. It improved the sound enough that I probably won't spend any more money on it.
[/QUOTE]
Where is the blue plug stowed? I'm building a homemade sub and was about to pull the rear seats & side panels to access the speaker wiring and power to connect an Audio Control ACM-1.300. This may save me some time!
I agree, the 9 speaker system leaves a lot to be desired. Volume is there but just no depth or punch. Especially with the top down. I ordered a 401A with the B&O but found this 2020 on the lot with a great discount (but 9 spkr) so here I am...
Here's a few pictures of the box so far. Started with a cardboard model to fit all the nooks & crannies of the trunk. Manufactured sub boxes don't exist for the convertible S550 so I decided to build it myself. Front plate is just temporarily screwed in. Still needs final glassing, covering, insulation, & wires installed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

spiritrider1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
White 2020 GT Convertible
Love our AE. Didn't realize how loud it was until I drove it with the top down.
Quiet mode is like the F-150, Expedition, etc. with the 5.0 - VERY quiet.
Normal mode is louder than the non-AE GT's but not obnoxious.
Sport is fine too but could get complaints from neighbors at 5am.
Track, well, it's not the tinny aftermarket open pipe sound and volume but it's pretty loud when you give it beans.
I think the AE system is the cheapest and most convenient system to have. You aren't robbing performance and can switch on the fly. Best of both worlds.
Sponsored