Sponsored

How Functional is a Functional Rear Wing?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Ooohh, awesome track. hope I can come there again next year. turn 17 is a lot of fun, though in context of this thread, I didn't feel any need for extra aero there. I wasn't going full speed due to heat management, to be fair.

The first time I felt a need to do something with back end was at Watkins glen when braking into turn 1 - it's a downhill braking area from pretty fast straight and if you brake hard enough, the rear end unsettles so much that the poo may start to come out 🤣 . if you've never done this track, I absolutely recommend to go there. total blast.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
A complete aside: A hundred years ago, Saleen made a hideous biplane rear wing. I may or may not have been working there at the time (those documents have been sealed). Internally, it was known as the 'DFA' wing for "Does f--k all."

I'm guessing most of these wings see about the same amount of development time as that one did.

Concretevol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well just to give my to cents....I track a GT350 with an anderson composites spoiler with adjustable wicker bill combined with a front splitter and the car feels really balanced. I keep considering a wing but I think I would need additional hood vents to keep car neutral.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Well just to give my to cents....I track a GT350 with an anderson composites spoiler with adjustable wicker bill combined with a front splitter and the car feels really balanced. I keep considering a wing but I think I would need additional hood vents to keep car neutral.
I bet this is better option than any of the lower mount wings. You're talking about the 'Ducktail' or something like that?

Sponsored

Concretevol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Vehicle Showcase

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Ooohh, awesome track. hope I can come there again next year. turn 17 is a lot of fun, though in context of this thread, I didn't feel any need for extra aero there. I wasn't going full speed due to heat management, to be fair.

The first time I felt a need to do something with back end was at Watkins glen when braking into turn 1 - it's a downhill braking area from pretty fast straight and if you brake hard enough, the rear end unsettles so much that the poo may start to come out 🤣 . if you've never done this track, I absolutely recommend to go there. total blast.
Yes, I have a friend who travels up and down the east coast trailering his GT 350R and said Watkins Glen is much more open and significantly faster track. I kind of assumed that Pitt Race which is about 30 minutes north of where I live, wouldn't be the kind of track where aero aids would prove overly beneficial.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I kind of assumed that Pitt Race which is about 30 minutes north of where I live, wouldn't be the kind of track where aero aids would prove overly beneficial.
That would be a very poor assumption.

Sponsored

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
I'm pretty sure it's not available for sale and only available as an installed option but the Roush active wing provides 400lbs of downforce in the up position. I can say that it works wonders above 100 for keeping the rear end planted and not wandering around on the highway.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The first time I felt a need to do something with back end was at Watkins glen when braking into turn 1
Then I'll assume the second time you had that thought was later in the lap into The Laces?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Then I'll assume the second time you had that thought was later in the lap into The Laces?
I think I didn't carry enough speed through turn 6 to get same effect to be honest, but I see what you mean. And then, since breaking into 7 is uphill, it felt fine. Heel however is somewhat similar to turn 1 and it was also giving same feeling that rear end is about to lift off 🤪.

Braking into turn 8 at Mosport is another example, scary AF until you realize how much room there is.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Yes, I have a friend who travels up and down the east coast trailering his GT 350R and said Watkins Glen is much more open and significantly faster track. I kind of assumed that Pitt Race which is about 30 minutes north of where I live, wouldn't be the kind of track where aero aids would prove overly beneficial.
Both tracks are fast. You can totally get up to speeds where aero shold make quite a difference.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Braking into turn 8 at Mosport is another example, scary AF until you realize how much room there is.
If you aren't shitting yourself in 2, then I don't know what it takes...
Sponsored