Sponsored

How Functional is a Functional Rear Wing?

Schnder95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Roush S/N 22-0001 TP
I have the active rear wing on my 22 Roush and it does affect down force pending what drive mode and speed I am going.
Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Assuming that Steeda folks know what they are doing and looking at their HPDE car spec, they didn't do anything at the front of this PP1 to balance out the wing. That seems to be a good hint that the wing isn't doing whole lot in terms of actual downforce. Maybe it adds stability at high speed? Don't know.
If they told us they would have to kill us.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you are doing top speed events I don't think you want any sort of wing. It will just slow you down. You probably also want to reduce the openings and remove the aero devices on the front of the car as well.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
And Johnny does really good work. This is a great option.
I know! I keep bothering him (or whoever runs the socials) about making a front splitter kit for our cars. Iā€™ll keep dreaming

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
If you are doing top speed events I don't think you want any sort of wing. It will just slow you down. You probably also want to reduce the openings and remove the aero devices on the front of the car as well.
could be top speed around a track. not necessarily straight line.

OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
Hope it's often enough to warrant a question about what this wing is doing at these speeds, since it's positioned as "functional race wing".
Tosha, your math and logic are correct. However, I asked about a functional rear wing, not race wing.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think you are supposed to blur out the mph in your reply like they do in the YouTube videos so that it cannot be used as evidence by LE to give you a speeding ticket since that speed was not achieved on a track. ;)
Nah, 120 mph is harmless. I did 154 mph on a public road in an 80 zone. :sunglasses:
Oops! Me and my big mouth! I'm toast. I'm expecting the cops to break down my door any minute now... šŸ˜

Last edited:

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Tosha, your math and logic are correct. However, I asked about a functional rear wing, not race wing.
Not my words, that's how Steeda calls it:

Steeda's S550 Functional Race Wing for the 2015+ Mustang carries on the tradition of previous Steeda wing models by looking great and also providing functional down force.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this particular exchange as I have been considering adding a rear wing of some kind for some time. I attend several HPDE events a season, but the track I attend is very technical in nature and for my 455 HP car, exceeding 125 MPH on this tracks "kind of" straight which has a 180 degree turn at it's end is very tough to do.

So far, I've added nothing to the stock PP1 equipped car, aerodynamically, but have made many suspension upgrades. These seem to have had a noticeable improvement. I've been on the fence about adding any aero additions due to the track configuration. Out side of this sometime use, the car is just a regular road warrior.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this particular exchange as I have been considering adding a rear wing of some kind for some time. I attend several HPDE events a season, but the track I attend is very technical in nature and for my 455 HP car, exceeding 125 MPH on this tracks "kind of" straight which has a 180 degree turn at it's end is very tough to do.

So far, I've added nothing to the stock PP1 equipped car, aerodynamically, but have made many suspension upgrades. These seem to have had a noticeable improvement. I've been on the fence about adding any aero additions due to the track configuration. Out side of this sometime use, the car is just a regular road warrior.
Pitt Race?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1

PP1 is pretty balanced out of the box, which is a nice way of saying that it has no aero front or back whatsoever šŸ¤£ . if you are still on stock wheels and brakes, I would recommend to invest into square 305 wheel setup, then probably get more track focused set of brake pads. you will see huge improvement from good set of wheels.

as far as the aero, proper stuff is expensive, like very expensive (with exception of 9livesracing mentioned before), and it looks completely out of place for street driving (IMO). the rest of this gimmicky plastics is more for looks. I have PP1 as well and will be getting a FP Mach1/GT500 swing for next season with the goal to just add some more high-speed stability. At least it's been developed by Ford for performance driving applications and there is some trust in it.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
PP1 is pretty balanced out of the box, which is a nice way of saying that it has no aero front or back whatsoever šŸ¤£ . if you are still on stock wheels and brakes, I would recommend to invest into square 305 wheel setup, then probably get more track focused set of brake pads. you will see huge improvement from good set of wheels.

as far as the aero, proper stuff is expensive, like very expensive (with exception of 9livesracing mentioned before), and it looks completely out of place for street driving (IMO). the rest of this gimmicky plastics is more for looks. I have PP1 as well and will be getting a FP Mach1/GT500 swing for next season with the goal to just add some more high-speed stability. At least it's been developed by Ford for performance driving applications and there is some trust in it.
Already added Vorshlag camber plates, 305 square, Steeda Sport Springs, which incidentally have the same spring rate range as the GT 350R springs although they are progressive rate units which I've been told are not ideal for the track, but when speaking with a Steeda tech these were what he recommended based on the how the car would be used.

I may change the rear bar for a bit less understeer, or I may jump to the Ford Performance Track Sway Bars which from what I understand, dial back understeer a bit more that the stock units.
Sponsored