Sponsored

How does cold air get into the cold air intake?

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Weren't people removing some piece of the grill/bumper to get cold air, and it actually made the MAF read wrong because the air was too turbulent?
I think you’re talking about the crosshatched air smoother in the intake tube itself
Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
No - this is more what I am talking about

I give that dude 0 credit when it comes to engineering. Might know his stuff about tuning but I’m pretty sure when ford sells an aftermarket bullit grille with the whole right side opened up, they know what they’re doing better than he does. It doesn’t even make logical sense to me, the air still has to go through the filter which would likely negate any disruption prefilter.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember a long time ago, thinking changing an air filter would make a big difference. Or removing the airbox. Or removing a resonator tube. Removing a little honeycomb from the MAF. Or putting a little scoop under the bumper to send air to the air. Or drilling holes in the airbox. Or removing the whole damn headlight. Getting a ram air hood.

But now we have all kinds of tools where we can monitor so much information. And you realize that none of that stuff actually helps. When the car is moving it's getting fresh air. A couple degrees cooler isn't going to do anything.

OP
OP

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
OP do you have the full Mach 1 bumper conversion? Or just the grille?
The previous owner did the work, not me, I'm not sure what I have, here's a photo.

20240419_165548.jpg

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I give that dude 0 credit when it comes to engineering. Might know his stuff about tuning but I’m pretty sure when ford sells an aftermarket bullit grille with the whole right side opened up, they know what they’re doing better than he does. It doesn’t even make logical sense to me, the air still has to go through the filter which would likely negate any disruption prefilter.
I'm not saying he's correct, I'm just saying I've seen other people post issues from similar things. He does see a lot more cars than you and I as well.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
I remember a long time ago, thinking changing an air filter would make a big difference. Or removing the airbox. Or removing a resonator tube. Removing a little honeycomb from the MAF. Or putting a little scoop under the bumper to send air to the air. Or drilling holes in the airbox. Or removing the whole damn headlight. Getting a ram air hood.

But now we have all kinds of tools where we can monitor so much information. And you realize that none of that stuff actually helps. When the car is moving it's getting fresh air. A couple degrees cooler isn't going to do anything.
I agree. That’s why I’m on the stock airbox with just a k&n drop in filter, carbon trap removed (which is dyno proven to get back the lost 10hp on 22+) and ford performance bullit grille for looks, but came with the added benefit of more openings in the grille on the right side by the intake (actually did lower intake temps by 5-10 degrees which doesn’t really matter but it is doing something). No surging issues btw.

Aftermarket intake on these cars is basically worthless.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sorry, this is driving me a little nuts. Your intake is on the LEFT side (driver side) unless you have a Euro car that is right hand drive (Euro guys correct me if your intake is not on the right hand/driver side).

Here’s a shot of the intake funnel with the bumper off.

Carry on 🤭

IMG_2826.jpeg

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, this is driving me a little nuts. Your intake is on the LEFT side (driver side) unless you have a Euro car that is right hand drive (Euro guys correct me if your intake is not on the right hand/driver side).

Here’s a shot of the intake funnel with the bumper off.

Carry on 🤭

IMG_2826.jpeg
Though I will still be calling the drivers side of my grille the right side, this is a great shot of the intake cold air tube and I agree, the intake is on the left side/drivers side lol

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Though I will still be calling the drivers side of my grille the right side, this is a great shot of the intake cold air tube and I agree, the intake is on the left side/drivers side lol
I’m just so accustomed to calling everything on the drivers side the left side (as everything is marked as far as parts go as well) that the whole right side of the grille thing was messing with me. OCD I know 🤭

And don’t mind my daughter in the background. She claims she doesn’t really like my car but the day I had the bumper off she was out every 10 minutes asking me what everything was, how the install was going etc. LOL

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And don’t mind my daughter in the background. She claims she doesn’t really like my car but the day I had the bumper off she was out every 10 minutes asking me what everything was, how the install was going etc. LOL
Her daddy's doll'y was broken. She can't help herself.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Here’s a shot of my FP bullit grille, holes are opened up about 50% on the drivers side compared to the middle where they’re 100% open. You’ll have to zoom since this was just taken on my phone through my office window
IMG_5833.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Here’s a shot of my FP bullit grille, holes are opened up about 50% on the drivers side compared to the middle where they’re 100% open. You’ll have to zoom since this was just taken on my phone through my office window
IMG_5833.jpeg
I have the Bullitt lower grille, big improvement there from the factory grille. Kept the upper grille stock, but still contemplating doing the upper with the Bullitt grille

IMG_2827.jpeg

Topdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Os
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Gt Convertible 2021 (TBA)
Coming from a Kia Stinger i got the aftermarket velossa ram cold air hard plastic tube things. Wonder if the do them for the 'Stang. I know they did them for the focus.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase