How bad is this???

Atms2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Took a nose dive into some mud last week… very confused because there is little to no damage to the grille and lip. However there is some frame damage under there hood, how bad is this? Honestly the car drivers and runs completely fine… might need a realignment.

4B919FC5-B0E1-4A13-A621-9F29D3FDCFCB.jpeg

D44990F5-E671-4E6C-981E-C5000D58DFE3.jpeg
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Looks like the crumple zone is doing its thing, but like you said, surprised the splitter was not damaged. Could you have hit just behind the splitter somehow?

I would have it checked at a competent body shop. As a minimum, your alignment is probably way messed up.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Better be careful how you handle this. There’s a good chance insurance would take 1 look at that and total the car. They don’t play around with any form of frame damage. I’ve seen cars at copart that were totaled because someone grounded the car on a bump and flattened a couple pinch welds. Best thing you can do is take it to a competent body shop that specializes in frame work and be prepared to fix it on your own dime

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
You sure there's no damage to the lip? It looks to me like that lower grille is shattered on the drivers' side. Might be light reflecting in at the edges, but also looks separated form the painted strip at the bottom.

Definitely head to a competent shop that deals in framework. And as Red said, probably on your dime. At best they hammer it out, make it right, and send you on your way. At worst...

OP
OP
Atms2020GT

Atms2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
You sure there's no damage to the lip? It looks to me like that lower grille is shattered on the drivers' side. Might be light reflecting in at the edges, but also looks separated form the painted strip at the bottom.

Definitely head to a competent shop that deals in framework. And as Red said, probably on your dime. At best they hammer it out, make it right, and send you on your way. At worst...
Yeah there is 100% some damage to the lip but I was able to pop it back in place and yes the grille is cracked. Will 100% do that, the last thing I wanna do is have this totaled.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on the type of impact, I don't think you need to hit the splitter hard for the frame to take a significant impact (extreme example - launching it over a hump backed bridge / rail tracks etc).

Unless you've had those front struts out I think they have also been hit hard enough to move - there's a witness mark to the left of the top nut shown in your photo :frown:

I might be wrong, but I think @JohnnyGT got some similar damage ? He may be a good source of info :like:

Hope you get it fixed up OK :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Atms2020GT

Atms2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Better be careful how you handle this. There’s a good chance insurance would take 1 look at that and total the car. They don’t play around with any form of frame damage. I’ve seen cars at copart that were totaled because someone grounded the car on a bump and flattened a couple pinch welds. Best thing you can do is take it to a competent body shop that specializes in frame work and be prepared to fix it on your own dime
I really appreciate your input man. I would be beyond upset if this damage led to a total loss, going to handle it at my own expense I guess.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What's the underside of the front end of the car look like - any pics?

If you hit hard enough at the front to bend that upper inner fender rail, more than likely there's damage under the vehicle (somewhere).

OP
OP
Atms2020GT

Atms2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Depending on the type of impact, I don't think you need to hit the splitter hard for the frame to take a significant impact (extreme example - launching it over a hump backed bridge / rail tracks etc).

Unless you've had those front struts out I think they have also been hit hard enough to move - there's a witness mark to the left of the top nut shown in your photo :frown:

I might be wrong, but I think @JohnnyGT got some similar damage ? He may be a good source of info :like:

Makes sense, I must of had impact at just t

splatrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Ecoboost, 16 Camaro 2SS, 17 Silverado
I used to work as an autobody technician. Modern cars can hide a lot of damage behind plastic bumpers. You won't know full extent of the damage until you take it apart. Either way, you will definitely need to take a body shop or frame shop to pull the frame back into spec. Unibody cars will transfer energy through the entire structure. Best not to play around and have it looked at by a reputable shop.

Sponsored

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Took a nose dive into some mud last week… very confused because there is little to no damage to the grille and lip. However there is some frame damage under there hood, how bad is this? Honestly the car drivers and runs completely fine… might need a realignment.

4B919FC5-B0E1-4A13-A621-9F29D3FDCFCB.jpeg

D44990F5-E671-4E6C-981E-C5000D58DFE3.jpeg
Damn I thought that was my pic for a hot second:

C0F55C36-3140-489A-A694-F85A1F2528B6.jpeg

I hit a major pothole about a year ago while on a long road trip. My alignment got fucked up along with my rear tire. I had to find a place in OK with a tire on Christmas Eve. Had to drive another 3k miles to get it back home.

I got it looked at and no other damage was found. So I just got the alignment back in spec and everything has been fine since. Although all the miles with it out of alignment caused the fronts to go bald on the insides.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Unfortunately it's probably pretty much roasted. If you pull the bumper off I bet the crash bar and frame horns are pushed to one side.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately it's probably pretty much roasted. If you pull the bumper off I bet the crash bar and frame horns are pushed to one side.
I pulled all that off myself and saw no other damage anywhere else.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
🤷‍♂️

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I pulled all that off myself and saw no other damage anywhere else.
I was talking to OP haha. I think your case is different, you hit a pothole whereas op hit something directly lol. Similar damage but probably for different reasons and fewer related casualties in your case.

No way to know for sure without more inspection 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored