wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
Hi to all and hope everybody is safe..

I will like to know if this is an common issue and how you resolved it.

I am getting moisture on the motor just underneath the Hood Vents. I have attached a pic for reference.

Is this a common issue or should i look further and check if something is loose on the vents? By the way both vents have the same problem.

Thanks in advance...
Hood Vent Moisture.jpg
Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Mines done they before..... hasn’t seemed to affect manufacturing specs or engine.

OP
OP
wcharon

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Mines done they before..... hasn’t seemed to affect manufacturing specs or engine.
So this is normal? I don't think so. Did you resolve it?

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Mine is dry. Thats not normal

Where do you live and do you use your AC a lot ?
Is your garage'd and or in the rain a lot ?
Not sure if excessive AC use would do that ?

Good luck

OP
OP
wcharon

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Mine is dry. Thats not normal

Where do you live and do you use your AC a lot ?
Is your garage'd and or in the rain a lot ?
Not sure if excessive AC use would do that ?

Good luck
Thanks for the feedback. I live in PR and the car sometimes sleep outside. The car only have 4,000 miles.

I cleaned it today and will monitor it. Actually when i did the first oil change at 3,000 miles i didn't have it.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Living near the ocean the air has salt content, some days worse than others. This may or not be what is causing your issues.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes it’s normal to get moisture in that area with rain. Normally it doesn’t leave any staining if it’s just water. Whatever got on that had some time of contaminant (mineral, chemical, etc). That’s not normal but whatever it was would’ve had to be on the hood.

Do you remember your car getting super dirty recently?

Hope you’re safe in PR between COVID and the earthquakes. My last visit I went to El Yunque and could only imagine how fun that drive would be in my GT.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
That doesn't look like something that came down through the vent opening. It looks like splatter from the underside. Is that white residue anywhere else in the engine bay, or only on the hood liner? Anything like that on or near the radiator fan shroud or elsewhere?

OP
OP
wcharon

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Living near the ocean the air has salt content, some days worse than others. This may or not be what is causing your issues.
@Interceptor Thanks. This is a good point.

Yes it’s normal to get moisture in that area with rain. Normally it doesn’t leave any staining if it’s just water. Whatever got on that had some time of contaminant (mineral, chemical, etc). That’s not normal but whatever it was would’ve had to be on the hood.

Do you remember your car getting super dirty recently?

Hope you’re safe in PR between COVID and the earthquakes. My last visit I went to El Yunque and could only imagine how fun that drive would be in my GT.
Thanks @Shifting_Gears. Thanks God everything is controlled at the moment. We have to stay on the hose until May 2. Yes the Yunque is another thing. Great place.

I wash the car weekly. Didn't notice it when i did the oil change around 3 months ago.

That doesn't look like something that came down through the vent opening. It looks like splatter from the underside. Is that white residue anywhere else in the engine bay, or only on the hood liner? Anything like that on or near the radiator fan shroud or elsewhere?
Thanks @Idaho2018GTPremium. Your point is what got me thinking. I checked the engine bay and didn't find nothing. I also thought it was splash from underneath but there is no openings in those parts that i saw.The funny part is that it was only underneath and around the 2 vents and on the cover only. Anyway i am going to take the underneath cover out and readjust the vents bolts just in case and monitor what happens.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advise.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is it only on one side as your image shows or both?

My 2018 has over 37k on it now, daily driver in all weather conditions, sits outside during the day and is stored in garage at night. The hood liner on it has never showed any signs of moisture, mold or mildew.

Does you car sit on a slope so that the water is always draining forward (from windshield down hood) into the vents?

Sponsored
OP
OP
wcharon

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Is it only on one side as your image shows or both?

My 2018 has over 37k on it now, daily driver in all weather conditions, sits outside during the day and is stored in garage at night. The hood liner on it has never showed any signs of moisture, mold or mildew.

Does you car sit on a slope so that the water is always draining forward (from windshield down hood) into the vents?
@Cobrajet70. Yes it is in both sides but the driver side was the worst. That's a good point, yes it sleeps on a slope but it is inclined inverse (from bumper to windshield) . Thinking back, sometimes in the morning i see water on that side of the hood and on top of the long part of the vent.

BVA254

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6-Sold, 2021 GT Premium -on order
I am in Florida a lot and have seen that on a couple Corvettes I have looked at that are parked near the ocean, it's salt condensation.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Before today I would have said that mine is dry. But I washed it today and when I opened the hood to wipe it down I noticed water dripping out of there.
I don't know what your discoloration is, dried salt from the atmosphere is as good a guess as any. But they are active vents so I'd think some water there from rain/washing would be normal.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
im gonna go with salt also.. or possibly calcium/lime deposits (presumably from hard water?) do you rinse the car off frequently? maybe it sits at just an angle (outside) that the salty ocean breeze swirls around at those hood vents and eventually some of those deposits are going to settle and concentrate?

mold had cross my mind also, but it looks a bit different than mold/mildew, and i am assuming you drive the car, just 10 minutes of the engine running would probably generate enough heat to kill mold

OP
OP
wcharon

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Before today I would have said that mine is dry. But I washed it today and when I opened the hood to wipe it down I noticed water dripping out of there.
I don't know what your discoloration is, dried salt from the atmosphere is as good a guess as any. But they are active vents so I'd think some water there from rain/washing would be normal.
Well that gives me a little peace of mind.

im gonna go with salt also.. or possibly calcium/lime deposits (presumably from hard water?) do you rinse the car off frequently? maybe it sits at just an angle (outside) that the salty ocean breeze swirls around at those hood vents and eventually some of those deposits are going to settle and concentrate?

mold had cross my mind also, but it looks a bit different than mold/mildew, and i am assuming you drive the car, just 10 minutes of the engine running would probably generate enough heat to kill mold
I am thinking this could be the cause. I wash the car weekly in the same place and it is in an angle. I wash it with Meguire's Ultimate Wash and Wax. Maybe that's the deposit color that has been accumulated there.. I will monitor it before i wash the car again to confirm if it's that or not.

Thanks to all on the opinions.
Sponsored