Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
I'm trying to avoid mods but I saw no reason to not do this. at some point opening up that hole in the hood on each side would probably let a lot of heat out but i'm not ready to cut up a new car yet :D
1666752645469.png

1666752554378.png

1666752674074.png
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I did not cut my hood but it looks like I have bigger vents LOL.

79C18DEE-D165-474E-B087-1A3C1F637187.jpeg

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
If you like the way it looks fine but don't bother otherwise. That design will disrupt air flow over the hood and not let the heat out as easily a a flat set of louvers.

I don't see a bit of functionality it that whatsoever. The louvers need to be raked back and flat with the hood.

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I changed out my hood vents too. I have the older roush vents, not the raised ones like on the 2020 and up models I did it to add a subtle change to the hood. Also have always liked the way those vents looked.

STANG2.jpg

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
If you like the way it looks fine but don't bother otherwise. That design will disrupt air flow over the hood and not let the heat out as easily a a flat set of louvers.

I don't see a bit of functionality it that whatsoever. The louvers need to be raked back and flat with the hood.
im a pretty big fan of the stock look, just seemed like opening it up a bit would let more heat out at idle and pull more air through at speed.

1666794069387.png

Sponsored

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
im a pretty big fan of the stock look, just seemed like opening it up a bit would let more heat out at idle and pull more air through at speed.

1666794069387.png
That picture is better - they don't look that unfunctional. They should pull some air across the radiator and lower engine bay temperature and pressure. You'd notice on a track day.

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
  • Banned
That picture is better - they don't look that unfunctional. They should pull some air across the radiator and lower engine bay temperature and pressure. You'd notice on a track day.

the vents are actually pretty big and the grills are angled such that the air moving over should pull air through pretty well.

its just the hole in the hood that is kinda small. i suspect ford did this so that we could open it up if we so desired.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
BB073F06-9744-48EF-800C-31265F6412DB.jpeg

As a reference you need this much venting to get a 15 degree drop in engine bay temperature at 130mph. So yeah I agree those mini holes won’t do much but to say they won’t help move air past the radiator would be wrong too. It would just be minimal.

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase

1666794069387.png

Note that on our Bullitts and probably the Shelbys too, the driver side vent is actually blocked off and closed because of the open element air filter box. Nothing to see here, carry on.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'll add these (2) links for the aerodynamics and airflow discussion purposes - although neither is 2018 S550 "GT" specific with regards to the hood and associated vent design - HOWEVER, there is excellent tech available within each link.

The first link shows the aerodynamic flow characteristics over and through the S550 GT500 hood - probably one of the best threads on this site demonstrating air flow paths and how it's disrupted over the hood and vehicle:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/new-embargod-aero-cooling-info-released-today.118708/

This Company, Verus Engineering, is very well known and they too have a ton of great tech on their site demonstrating aerodynamics and the effects of air flow around vehicles. This link has a great amount of airflow tech for the S550:
https://www.verus-engineering.com/w...c81d688ddcccf96ac8dbb57848f0759&download=true

---

The slightest change made to the front of any vehicle (ie: nose cone openings, hood design or hood openings, mirrors, front fender design or windshield cowling) affects airflow through and around the vehicle. Even a change in the rear spoiler or rear valance impacts downforce the vehicle experiences - and that could be a negative or positive impact.

Sure, most performance car owners don't even take their cars on a track and to which this aerodynamic air flow discussion is moot.

It's moot because that group of owners may add body kits, body parts or modify existing body panels that are for their aesthetic enjoyment and they're not logging or experiencing any positive OR negative aspects of such parts or those modifications.

However *some* of these same body kits, body parts or modifications to an existing body panel could produce negative results for a similar vehicle used extensively on a track, where that vehicle sees sustained higher RPM/Speed than a daily driver in stop and go traffic.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
This looks like stock but has some aero improvement over the OEM. Advertised as having the front height increased, with the angle being more pronounced. Resulting in a lower pressure behind it, pulling more air out of the bay.

That's what they say, the theory sounds correct, but have no hard evidence.

They are subtle and more aggressive than the factory.

IMG_0013.jpeg

adding link & no I don't have any skin in the game
https://www.rtrvehicles.com/products/rtr-hood-vents-18-20
IMG_0203.jpeg

Last edited:

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Cut that b*tch! You know you want to 😉
Write up I did for cutting the hood.

1666806173180.png

1666806201409.png
I checked out your threads and we are very similar but I'm just behind you on progression. The thread on cooling issues at 90 degrees was puzzling. That should never happen with a heat extraction hood in theory. This summer I ran a few HPDE days at 90+ and ran 4 sessions at 22 minutes each and never had a cooling issue.

Did you figure out what the problem was??

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If you stick your hand out your car while driving down the road, airflow seems as a brute force; this is one aspect, but how it flows across a surface is equally, if not more, important.

Air flows across a surface and through an area like a really fine, light silk sheet. A disruptive anomaly at any point can disturb the flow across the entire surface, and wreck any hoped-for positive effect.

I'm not doubting gains in heat extraction and aero can occur, but yea, I'd like to study the links provided by @Cobra Jet before considering any mods.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
the vents are actually pretty big and the grills are angled such that the air moving over should pull air through pretty well.

its just the hole in the hood that is kinda small. i suspect ford did this so that we could open it up if we so desired.
What problem are you trying to solve? These stock vents are ok as-is for regular street driving and stock engine.
They are also pretty much useless on track and opening them up won't do much. You'd need to do much much more to manage heat properly.
Sponsored