Hood Liner?

Steven9194

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT California Special
Just curious how many have removed the hood liner. They get nasty looking, and I’ve heard where some people have the pony under it. If you’ve removed yours have you had any issues with paint getting to hot?
Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
There's no pony under the hood liner on 18+ models. As far as removing the liner, I don't believe it's going to hurt the paint, but you might hear more engine noise.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Clear coat with rattle can to protect

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'd replace it with another OEM liner, if it got ratty. They serve a purpose.

OP
OP
Steven9194

Steven9194

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been contemplating taking it off for a while. Looks cleaner without them, to me anyway. And I’ve read that they mainly serve as noise deadening. Mine so loud I doubt I’d hear much a difference anyway.

Sponsored

Austind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium - PP Lightening Blue
I pulled mine off about a year ago. 2017 GT has the Pony logo under it. (15-17) no issues and I didn't really notice any noise difference. Maybe a little. Perfectly fine to take off. Lot of people do. On another thread guys posted great pics of some art work they had done on the inside. Anyone want to post one? No damage to the inside paint.

D98gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maddox
Vehicle(s)
The impression of my Whipple is in mine so I had removed it as well hoping it had a pony but nope :(

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
I’ve been contemplating taking it off for a while. Looks cleaner without them, to me anyway. And I’ve read that they mainly serve as noise deadening. Mine so loud I doubt I’d hear much a difference anyway.
While a secondary purpose may be to serve as noise deadening, their primary purpose is to extinguish small engine fires, should one occur, before they have an opportunity to engulf your entire vehicle.

OP
OP
Steven9194

Steven9194

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
The impression of my Whipple is in mine so I had removed it as well hoping it had a pony but nope :(
The Whipple doesn’t touch the paint on the under side?

Sponsored

motorjock205

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red, 2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
The actual intended purpose of the under hood blanket is to suppress a engine fire should one start. They are designed to fall down on the engine and smother a fire.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
The actual intended purpose of the under hood blanket is to suppress a engine fire should one start. They are designed to fall down on the engine and smother a fire.
That's interesting. Thanks for that tidbit, I didn't know that. Mine is notched up front for the blower, but I was going to remove it. I think I'll leave it on now.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Urban legend. Have you seen any engine fires that were saved by that theory? You won't find any.

It is sound insulation. Take it off and you will hear more engine noise, especially the injectors. It does nothing for fire suppression and in fact it is flammable itself.

All that happens when you remove it is more noise. It doesn't protect the paint nor provide suppression of fire. Starting on the S197 model many have removed it and left it off for years with no issues.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Urban legend. Have you seen any engine fires that were saved by that theory? You won't find any.

It is sound insulation. Take it off and you will hear more engine noise, especially the injectors. It does nothing for fire suppression and in fact it is flammable itself.

All that happens when you remove it is more noise. It doesn't protect the paint nor provide suppression of fire. Starting on the S197 model many have removed it and left it off for years with no issues.
Yes, I was an insurance adjuster for 20 years, and did see more than one engine fire that was extinguished by the liner. It makes a mess, but certainly less of a mess than an entire vehicle that has burned.

Dont get me wrong. I am not saying that you shouldn't remove one if you want to, but do so knowing what the risk is.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I don't have a hood liner nor do I have the factory hood. No issues in sun, rain, snow, etc. My hood even has hood vents on both sides and the back of the hood is open. Could you imagine a hood liner with hood vents? Yikes! With hood vents and no liner you can definitely hear more engine noise, but it doesn't bother me.

My 96 Jeep XJ has no hood liner either but it's still rocking the factory hood. XJ's run hotter than other engines. We just had a cold rain here a few days ago and you could see steam coming off of the hood where the engine bay was getting hot underneath but the rain was cold on top of the hood. I'd imagine I'd be freaking out if I didn't know much about cars lol.

Yes, I was an insurance adjuster for 20 years, and did see more than one engine fire that was extinguished by the liner. It makes a mess, but certainly less of a mess than an entire vehicle that has burned.

Dont get me wrong. I am not saying that you shouldn't remove one if you want to, but do so knowing what the risk is.
While I believe it would help a small fire, it wouldn't contain something larger. The liners help to quiet down noise as well as help to get the engine up to operating temperature more quickly.

Not all cars come with hood liners by the way.
Sponsored