Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Side pipes are insane. If you’re wondering if you should do side pipes, you should do side pipes.

Sounds great Kevin! Really enjoying the build. Guess I gotta do side pipes now too 🤣

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

JBG0137

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback, 2019 GT350r
Tires are going to get toasty after a few laps, are you going to plate the area around the exit on the body?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Okay, lots has happened in the last couple days. I’ve been thrashing and not docunenting well - so more story time and less visuals.

So to recap, on Thursday I drove the car for the first time up and down the street. After confirming the drive train worked, I knew we could make our dyno appt today.

We made it to the dyno and I seriously felt like there was a 40-50% chance of things not going well. On my test drive on Thursday, the car was overheating just doing 20 mph down my street. And it makes noises I’m not really calibrated at hear yet (the clutch sounds like a tractor, the gear box sounds like it has rocks when not loaded, etc.) So essentially I had little confidence things would work.

My master Aussie tuner remoted into my laptop at 7am from across the world and my local dyno operator, Josh, began putting the engine through some mild load. Here’s an example of what the first hour or two sounded like

Basically, Josh would target a specific part RPM or part of the fuel table and Jono (the tuner) would make real-time edits to even it out. Not going to lie, she wasn’t super happy under medium throttle In the early day. But Jono is a serious master and a true perfectionist. So he kept at it until he got the fueling perfect. First time we did a ramp pull we made high 400s up to ~6.5k

IMG_2857.jpeg

First pull to 8k and it made made 553 on the first ramp pull with no ignition timing and cam timing adjustments. My previous best with a voodoo was 540 that was with 30 degrees of timing and max effort. Needless to say, I was pretty blown away.

C6F50A72-5A28-49C5-9AE6-14AEFEC6661D.jpeg

In the end, we landed at 575 whp, 467tq with a bit of cam timing refinements a couple degrees of ignition timing. This is with only 23 degrees, so it’s UBER conservative. There’s easily 600 in this beast with 30 degrees of timing and some lower ambient temps (91 and humid when we were tuning this AM). My favorite part about this line is the relative flat power curve from 7100-8200. This car is always going to be in max power at WOT during shifts. Hell. Yeah.

IMG_2860.jpeg

Here’s a dyno pull up to 8600

Really hard to describe in words how loud this car is. It’s the most violent sounding car I’ve heard outside of F1 or some NHRA stuff. Reminds of trans am stuff. Going to be so rowdy on the race track

I’m going to go to sleep now. According to my watch, I have a 60% sleep debt this week. Time to catch up

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Okay, lots has happened in the last couple days. I’ve been thrashing and not docunenting well - so more story time and less visuals.

So to recap, on Thursday I drove the car for the first time up and down the street. After confirming the drive train worked, I knew we could make our dyno appt today.

We made it to the dyno and I seriously felt like there was a 40-50% chance of things not going well. On my test drive on Thursday, the car was overheating just doing 20 mph down my street. And it makes noises I’m not really calibrated at hear yet (the clutch sounds like a tractor, the gear box sounds like it has rocks when not loaded, etc.) So essentially I had little confidence things would work.

My master Aussie tuner remoted into my laptop at 7am from across the world and my local dyno operator, Josh, began putting the engine through some mild load. Here’s an example of what the first hour or two sounded like

Basically, Josh would target a specific part RPM or part of the fuel table and Jono (the tuner) would make real-time edits to even it out. Not going to lie, she wasn’t super happy under medium throttle In the early day. But Jono is a serious master and a true perfectionist. So he kept at it until he got the fueling perfect. First time we did a ramp pull we made high 400s up to ~6.5k

IMG_2857.jpeg

First pull to 8k and it made made 553 on the first ramp pull with no ignition timing and cam timing adjustments. My previous best with a voodoo was 540 that was with 30 degrees of timing and max effort. Needless to say, I was pretty blown away.

C6F50A72-5A28-49C5-9AE6-14AEFEC6661D.jpeg

In the end, we landed at 575 whp, 467tq with a bit of cam timing refinements a couple degrees of ignition timing. This is with only 23 degrees, so it’s UBER conservative. There’s easily 600 in this beast with 30 degrees of timing and some lower ambient temps (91 and humid when we were tuning this AM). My favorite part about this line is the relative flat power curve from 7100-8200. This car is always going to be in max power at WOT during shifts. Hell. Yeah.

IMG_2860.jpeg

Here’s a dyno pull up to 8600

Really hard to describe in words how loud this car is. It’s the most violent sounding car I’ve heard outside of F1 or some NHRA stuff. Reminds of trans am stuff. Going to be so rowdy on the race track

I’m going to go to sleep now. According to my watch, I have a 60% sleep debt this week. Time to catch up
Sounds phenomenal through headphones, can’t imagine what it sounds like in person.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Just epic Kevin congratulations mate.

I’m in OZ , does this Jono tune OEM as well ? Where does one find this Jono 🙏

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Are you using Motec?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just epic Kevin congratulations mate.

I’m in OZ , does this Jono tune OEM as well ? Where does one find this Jono 🙏
I think he’s primarily Motorsport tuner, so Emtron, Haltech, Link ECU, etc. But feel free to reach out to him. He loves Mustangs https://www.facebook.com/jptune

Are you using Motec?
Am not. Too pricey for my needs. They’re a no brainer if you’re running boost or utilizing a factory build, but they have some big drawbacks for DIY builds - cost for one (about 9k more than my AIM/LINK setup), support is run entirely through them and can be difficult to get, and any firmware changes require working with them directly (Link/Emtron allow a lot more customization through the tuner, so you can work more independently). No doubt they’re the top product when money allows and build requirements require it, but I couldn’t justify it (and most tuners said it was overkill).

We’ll see - if my package fails I’ll eat the cost, share the experience and upgrade.

That's a lot of RPM! What do you expect for component longevity from the build?
I don’t plan to regularly shift that high - probably 7500 normally and 8k when I need it. The 8600 rpm was to see where it would fall off and see if there was a bit more if really needed on a certain track (where you just need that extra couple hundred RPM.

Really hoping for 80 hours out of this motor. We’ll see

Wow, just found this thread now. Look forward to seeing this monster build at CoTA soon. 👍🏼👍🏼
You going to the Chin event in June? That’ll be my shakedown

Sounds phenomenal through headphones, can’t imagine what it sounds like in person.
Thanks! Sounds a bit like a nascar car at the higher RPMs. It’s pretty awesome!