Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I think he’s primarily Motorsport tuner, so Emtron, Haltech, Link ECU, etc. But feel free to reach out to him. He loves Mustangs https://www.facebook.com/jptune

Am not. Too pricey for my needs. They’re a no brainer if you’re running boost or utilizing a factory build, but they have some big drawbacks for DIY builds - cost for one (about 9k more than my AIM/LINK setup), support is run entirely through them and can be difficult to get, and any firmware changes require working with them directly (Link/Emtron allow a lot more customization through the tuner, so you can work more independently). No doubt they’re the top product when money allows and build requirements require it, but I couldn’t justify it (and most tuners said it was overkill).

We’ll see - if my package fails I’ll eat the cost, share the experience and upgrade.

I don’t plan to regularly shift that high - probably 7500 normally and 8k when I need it. The 8600 rpm was to see where it would fall off and see if there was a bit more if really needed on a certain track (where you just need that extra couple hundred RPM.

Really hoping for 80 hours out of this motor. We’ll see

You going to the Chin event in June? That’ll be my shakedown

Thanks! Sounds a bit like a nascar car at the higher RPMs. It’s pretty awesome!
Will you please video it for us? In cabin shakedown perhaps?

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
I ❤ this thread.

When most people are worried about getting the car wet projects like this make me feel things only appropriate away from the eyes of god.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I ❤ this thread.

When most people are worried about getting the car wet projects like this make me feel things only appropriate away from the eyes of god.
I stopped caring about whether I crash my mustang just last week, and it helped me go .400 seconds faster.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Will you please video it for us? In cabin shakedown perhaps?
I plan to record it - no worries. I don’t like to hide stuff. Maybe do a IG live video if the circumstances work (not too rushed, etc. as I’ll be instructing that weekend).

I ❤ this thread.

I started having a ton more fun with this car when I gave in and started embracing the wear and tear. Might have taken it a bit far, tho.

when I listen, I hear a miss. Is it just bad audio quality or a biproduct of remote tuning? Maybe it's nothing?
Which video are you hearing it in?

KilgoreLSU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1, Ford Transit 250 Ecoboost, BMW X5
Side pipes are insane. If you’re wondering if you should do side pipes, you should do side pipes.

Awesome!

My 1970 Challenger TA with side pipes sounded just like that. Pipe into a can and pipe coming forward out of can. It sounded like an inboard drag boat.

IMG_3877.png

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The first one doesn't sound right (I think you all were live tuning there) but I think what I'm hearing in the second one is actually just the Dyno. It almost sounds like a repetitive surging as you work through the gears, but I'm actually thinking that's a product of the Dyno, not the car. Again, poor audio quality listening on my phone. You got it tuned safe at this point, so I wouldn't stress too much until you get a good shakedown on the track.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
I started having a ton more fun with this car when I gave in and started embracing the wear and tear. Might have taken it a bit far, tho.
In my experience hesitation is what holds most people back. Racing, Love, Business, life in general.

Is it too far to be a legend, cause thats what this is. The memories this journey will make is worth it.
Motorcycles are my track weapon of choice but you're making me rethink that with this build.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The first one doesn't sound right (I think you all were live tuning there) but I think what I'm hearing in the second one is actually just the Dyno. It almost sounds like a repetitive surging as you work through the gears, but I'm actually thinking that's a product of the Dyno, not the car. Again, poor audio quality listening on my phone. You got it tuned safe at this point, so I wouldn't stress too much until you get a good shakedown on the track.
Yeah - the first video the fuel table was still whack and Jono was literally making live edits. It really wasn't happy the first few pulls under load. She purrs now tho.

And yeah - the dyno + ultra light flywheel made it surge a bit. She sounds great under full throttle. you bring up an interesting experience tho - so much of the noises this car makes (clutch is loud, light weight flywheel causes input shaft noise, dry sump creates vacuum, etc. the list goes on) are new to me and I have know reference. It's been nerve wracking to say the least

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
These should help evacuate some air, right? :)

IMG_2877.JPG
IMG_2876.JPG
IMG_2878.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2875.JPG

Just waiting on a delivery from @5.2 liters of democracy to complete the look

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
These should help evacuate some air, right? :)

IMG_2877.JPG
IMG_2876.JPG
IMG_2878.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2875.JPG

Just waiting on a delivery from @5.2 liters of democracy to complete the look
Wherever did you get those? Asked on insta but know its better to share here :) I would love to get some mean fenders like those.

or maybe a used gt350 front end piece kit

/one day build my baby like your crazy car

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wherever did you get those? Asked on insta but know its better to share here :) I would love to get some mean fenders like those.

/one day build my baby like your crazy car
These are DIY - but @5.2 liters of democracy and I have been talking about how we could make something work using some CF vents

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350