Sponsored

Help, front control arm removal!

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Trying to remove the front control arms to install Energy bushings. I cant get the ball joint end of the arm separated from the knuckle. I was banging on the end of the ball joint bolt, but it is starting to deform, so I think I need to stop that. Trying to whack the arm, close to the ball joint, but no luck. I thought about using a tuning fork, but I'm concerned about damaging the ball joint rubber boot. Any suggestions?

1644695488157.png

1644695547851.png
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Hit it right here. Even better if you can put upward pressure on the ball joint at the time with a ball joint separator but just try hitting the knuckle first to see where that gets you.

HitMe.jpg

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I've just used a brass hammer on the ball joint. Pickle fork might get the boot, but you can probably find one in a Lisle blister-pack at the auto parts store. Try it.

OP
OP
SVO MkII

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Thanks for the suggestions. I bit the bullet and ordered this ball joint separator. Supposed to be here tomorrow.
1644767578180.png

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Thanks for the suggestions. I bit the bullet and ordered this ball joint separator. Supposed to be here tomorrow.
1644767578180.png
I can confirm that tool makes light work of separating the joint.

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
I just did this to install the Ford Performance Front Control Arm kit. I didn't want to throw $200 at the "204-592 Lower Arm Ball Joint Separator" tool recommended in the install instructions.

I did a lot of searching and found this CTA Tools 5450 Ball Joint Separator for $65 (although it looks like the price has gone up slightly since then).

I'm not sure how it compares to the $200 version, but it worked great for me. I will note that I had to take the hex nut off the bolt to get it to fit. To keep the separator from slipping off the ball joint, I threaded the ball joint nut on backwards to allow the separator to "grab" better.

IMG_0962.jpeg

IMG_0963.jpeg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
1644767578180.png
When you have sufficient torque on the ball end,hit the end of the ball joint bolt head with a 2 pound hammer, pops right out without damaging the ball joint. Good Luck

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I just did this to install the Ford Performance Front Control Arm kit. I didn't want to throw $200 at the "204-592 Lower Arm Ball Joint Separator" tool recommended in the install instructions.

I did a lot of searching and found this CTA Tools 5450 Ball Joint Separator for $65 (although it looks like the price has gone up slightly since then).

I'm not sure how it compares to the $200 version, but it worked great for me. I will note that I had to take the hex nut off the bolt to get it to fit. To keep the separator from slipping off the ball joint, I threaded the ball joint nut on backwards to allow the separator to "grab" better.

Hell yeah nice find!! Looks identical to my $200 tool that Iā€™ve used all of 3 times now!

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
When you have sufficient torque on the ball end,hit the end of the ball joint bolt head with a 2 pound hammer, pops right out without damaging the ball joint. Good Luck
Thatā€™s the ticket, just get some clamping force on it and give it a whack

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge

IMG_0962.jpeg

IMG_0963.jpeg
So will that tool fit on the forward control arm. The one with the air deflector?
There's room for it?

I am having hell trying to get mine off. I've beat the knuckle tired to use a front end kit from harbor freight. The one on the top right worked for the rear arm but I can't get a good angle for the front arm. There's nothing to attach one of the legs too.
1701614482995.png

It will not pop out and my dumbass whacked the stud and messed of the threads so it has to come out now. lol
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
So will that tool fit on the forward control arm. The one with the air deflector?
There's room for it?

I am having hell trying to get mine off. I've beat the knuckle tired to use a front end kit from harbor freight. The one on the top right worked for the rear arm but I can't get a good angle for the front arm. There's nothing to attach one of the legs too.
1701614482995.png

It will not pop out and my dumbass whacked the stud and messed of the threads so it has to come out now. lol
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Yes, that tool works perfectly for the lower control arms, including the one with the air deflector. Iā€˜ve used it twice: first time on the initial install of the FP Lower Control arms, and then again recently to replace those (bad ball joint) with the Steeda tension link with the spherical bearings.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Yes, that tool works perfectly for the lower control arms, including the one with the air deflector. Iā€˜ve used it twice: first time on the initial install of the FP Lower Control arms, and then again recently to replace those (bad ball joint) with the Steeda tension link with the spherical bearings.
Ok, I am going to order it thanks.

My neighbor said to use a torch to heat up the knuckle and then whack it a few times, but rather use this tool. My arm is tired. hahaah

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I am going to order it thanks.

My neighbor said to use a torch to heat up the knuckle and then whack it a few times, but rather use this tool. My arm is tired. hahaah
I like having the right tool for the job. If you lived closer I would just lend you mine!

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Last edited: