Front control arm bearing?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Has anyone done the front control arm spherical bearing yet, from either Steeda, Cortex or J&M?

I am going to be doing the J&M bearing the package offered by OPMustang. Just looking for any feedback.
Sponsored

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
I am also waiting for more feedbacks before pulling the trigger.

Is the J&M package the cheapest route for a non-pp GT?

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I am also waiting for more feedbacks before pulling the trigger.

Is the J&M package the cheapest route for a non-pp GT?
I'm going with their non-PP option and will be adding the PP style arms which are forged steel and have a bearing pressed into the them already. So I will get bearings for both arms :cheers:

Whether it's the cheapest? I'd wager so if you include what the shop charge would have been for pressing in the bearings.

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
I would assume the same, having shops do the press job may cost another $50-80.

Still, for nearly $500, I will need to read many reviews before committment. I also read it somewhere that the ball joint is not too easy to get pressed out.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have Steeda's offering and installed it myself saving a great deal of money. Nice to have someone else to do it, as you can see in my video it's a little work when you don't have a nice cup to support the arm on the press. If I had a cup, it wouldn't have appeared to be such a process as it is in the video. A free press cups rental from Autozone would have supplied me with the right cup to press the bushing into, but this video was recorded at 11PM about. Honestly, a mechanic shop would have pressed out the bushing and pressed in the bushing for me for $40 (your mileage may vary) but I wanted to do it myself.

As for feedback, no bothersome NVH increase (maybe some rough roads are noticed more) but, especially with sticky tires, the car reacts much better to steering wheel input. I always felt there was a slight delay between what I do and what it does. A huge portion of that was resolved when I went with stiffer and stiffer front springs, ultimately loving the Steeda Dual Rate Comp springs. But the bearing took that split second of "planning" for a turn that would always remain with the OEM bushing away from my "list of things to do before a turn", and I'm very happy I did this modification. Oh, also, you get a little more feedback from the car through the wheel, which has been a big motivation of me replacing now every single bushing with either a firmer bushing or bearing on my suspension. And, oddly, I really don't have any NVH I would get on a soapbox and complain about. Bearings transmit noise here and there but... it's nothing to cry about.

Can't recommend this modification enough.

[ame]

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I will be installing mine in the near future. I gave it a go last weekend but I could not get the ball joint at the knuckle to budge using penetrating oil and mini sledge.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I will be installing mine in the near future. I gave it a go last weekend but I could not get the ball joint at the knuckle to budge using penetrating oil and mini sledge.
Swing with commitment :headbonk: NanoPro MT Penetrating Oil works well, it's all we use. Make a solid strike to the spindle with a drift and the mini sledge, then line up on the stud and Grandslam it. You can also maybe sneak a pickle fork in there if you are swapping arms and don't care about the dust boots.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Swing with commitment :headbonk: NanoPro MT Penetrating Oil works well, it's all we use. Make a solid strike to the spindle with a drift and the mini sledge, then line up on the stud and Grandslam it. You can also maybe sneak a pickle fork in there if you are swapping arms and don't care about the dust boots.
Yeah tried a pickle fork and no dice either. On jack stands I just didn't have enough room for a good swing or I've got a hard seize after the two winters here. :(

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
If only these spherical joints came with boots, I'd get them! I'm a bit concerned about running these on my DD here in the northeast. It's not the durability, these look like a quality piece, but more the squeaks when they get peppered with road salt and sand.

I guess I'll have to wait until I turn this into a dedicated track car.

Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
If only these spherical joints came with boots, I'd get them! I'm a bit concerned about running these on my DD here in the northeast. It's not the durability, these look like a quality piece, but more the squeaks when they get peppered with road salt and sand.

I guess I'll have to wait until I turn this into a dedicated track car.
I put 90k miles on a BMW with spherical bearings in the front control arm with no problems in PA. Did not have boots. No squeaks.

I'm probably going to perform this mod to my PP in the not too distant future. I've only had the car a week, but I believe this is a worthwhile mod.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
No grease, nothing? And no squeakies??

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No grease, nothing? And no squeakies??
Keep in mind that the bearing is away from the hub. It doesn't see significant rotation, so is unlikely to squeak. Like I said, 90k miles in PA driven year round through any weather on winter tires. This is a worthwhile mod. Ford didn't do it for cost reasons is my guess. Little downside if you are ok with the cost.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to add:
Never did any maintenance to them. 90k miles. Not that wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe I just got lucky. This probably is not a location that folks should worry about squeaks from, though.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You can buy boots. I think Steeda even can supply you. You'd have to put it on. Not easy.
Sponsored